Hibernian V Motherwell 08/03/14

Yabba's Turd

Conceding 3 goals in five of our last seven matches needs to be looked at but I can't comment on the goals we lost today since I wasn't there.

I don't disagree that it needs to be looked at, but to be fair, the defence is where we have been hit hardest by injuries and suspensions during those 7 matches. I don't think our replacements are poor, but playing out of position and a rotation of defenders makes it difficult to get that understanding required to be a tight unit.

Wasn't there but clearly conceding a goal in the 43rd minute at 2-0 up changes the match completely.

I think we need to look on the positives for this one.

We've played Hibs and Hearts in successive weeks, taken 4 points, scored 7 goals and all the while with a lot of players injured and a few inexperienced boys in the team.

Rather than anything else these two last results say to me that we can still pick up points playing youngsters and that's a big positive.

Conceding 3 goals in five of our last seven matches needs to be looked at but I can't comment on the goals we lost today since I wasn't there.

Three home matches coming up and those 9 points will be very important come the end of the season. Given that Inverness have a couple of games in hand a win would be a big result in that one.

Spot on

A new keeper to me is the biggest bit of business we need to sort out......

Hollis was/is only here because he s Kenny Blacks pal from Airdrie days and he came in as a stop gap when Fraser left n 2010.

FFS he is nearly 28 and has made 48 first team appearances.18 at us..he was the Dung men's reserve keeper for 6 years !!!!

I'm sure there is still a place for him at The New Broomfield when his contract expires

Big Gunnar.........:doh:

When Dan was here we won 5 games on the bounce lost 2 goals.....

lets get Dan back or a keeper than can come in and bring a bit off confidence in that's clearly lacking with our current deadly duo :angry:

• Like 1

So Hollis is the better keeper...worth an new contract ???????

I don't know, I've seen them both over a similar number of games and they've performed to a similar level.

so if you're saying Dan is worth a contract then, yes, so is Lee,

I don't care for the past history of players, like you do with Hollis, if I did, then Dan would never get a look in at Motherwell either, or have you failed to check his history

Oh but wait that would mean Gunnar would be a star.......

suppose what I'm saying is on a night after a game, that the Keeper made no errors of significance in, but in reality kept us in it a few times. much like the previous game

I'd choose not to make my only comments in the match thread be about needing a keeper

A new keeper to me is the biggest bit of business we need to sort out......

Hollis was/is only here because he s Kenny Blacks pal from Airdrie days and he came in as a stop gap when Fraser left n 2010.

FFS he is nearly 28 and has made 48 first team appearances.18 at us..he was the Dung men's reserve keeper for 6 years !!!!

I'm sure there is still a place for him at The New Broomfield when his contract expires

Big Gunnar.........:doh:

When Dan was here we won 5 games on the bounce lost 2 goals.....

lets get Dan back or a keeper than can come in and bring a bit off confidence in that's clearly lacking with our current deadly duo :angry:

Randolph only made 16 appearances for Charlton in 6 years (although he made a few more when they loaned him out to the likes of Accrington Stanley and Welling Utd).

I thought Dan did a job when he came in, but if we do end up looking for another keeper, I'd be looking elsewhere.

• Like 1

Ok mate are u happy with our current goalies ?

Don't we need a new keeper ?

Happy to extend Hollis contract ?

Hollis commands the 6 yard box and takes crosses at ease?

Hollis comfortable on the ball ?

Hollis, put our defence at ease?

Lee Hollis in my opinion should have never been given the opportunity to wear the Motherwell no 1 jersey in the first place, as my opinion on my earlier post

"suppose what I'm saying is on a night after a game, that the Keeper made no errors of significance in, but in reality kept us in it a few times. much like the previous game"

What Hearts ? he kept us in that.......:whistling:

Suppose what I'm saying I don't rate Hollis

And apologies for stating my opinion in match thread :help:

may be you could set up a poll....who should we have/keep as our keeper ?

JONNY GRIER,CHRIS McCLUSKEY ,GRANT ADAM ........:laugh:

s

Randolph only made 16 appearances for Charlton in 6 years (although he made a few more when they loaned him out to the likes of Accrington Stanley and Welling Utd).

I thought Dan did a job when he came in, but if we do end up looking for another keeper, I'd be looking elsewhere.

48 appearance's on loan actually........I quoted Dan for his record in goals and our best run of form this season

Pointing out when you have a goalkeeper that the defence is comfortable with you don't lose as many goals

2 goals lost .......15 scored..... in 5 games = 15 points..... plus 13 goal

Gunnar and Hollis are both bomb scares........the other 23 games......scored 31 lost 41 minus 10 goals

Hollis did all that was expected of him against Hearts, one rogue punch apart, and did nothing wrong yesterday - he also coped admirably well with some bizarre back passes on a rotten pitch with a gusty wind. This was before some of the crucial saves he made. One right before half time when everyone thought the game had been stopped due to a couple of injuries in the D was especially good. In two games, one mistake I remember, keep that up and he'll be fine. The marking ghosts at corners is more of a concern to me. We lost one to Aberdeen, one to Hearts, one to Dundee Utd and two to Hibernian and I haven't even brought myself to watch the St Johnstone game and that is in six weeks. I do accept Gunnar was partly to blame for the Aberdeen one but overall that is costing us more goals than our keepers.

• Like 2

I reckon we need two new keepers, although Gunnar Neilsen is on a 2 year deal. He's been prone to blunders and despite his height not overly assured in the air. Lee Hollis is what he is. He's the more reliable of the two but is very poor in the air. To his credit he knows that and sticks to his line. With Lee Hollis we at least know what we have. When he plays the central defence has to adapt and sit that bit deeper to protect him. That in turn affects the rest of the defence. The answer to that, in an ideal world, would be to play the two wing/full backs wide to cut out crosses and unnecessary corners, but for some reason we can't or won't do that. Maybe lack of cover from the 2 wide midfield men?

Either way we do need a new keeper. OK we can't afford another Darren Randolph but I'm sure we can do better.

Our defensive problems go deeper than just a keeper though, but that's another post.

The answer to that, in an ideal world, would be to play the two wing/full backs wide to cut out crosses and unnecessary corners, but for some reason we can't or won't do that. Maybe lack of cover from the 2 wide midfield men?

Our defensive problems go deeper than just a keeper though, but that's another post.

We are conceding far too many goals at the moment and ultimately that could be our undoing in the race for Europe. Whilst the goalies could be blamed for a handful the truth lies in what Dave has stated above.

At times there is little or no cover from midfield. Yesterday as an example. Every time hibs attacked down our flanks they had two on one which men at that virtually every time they got a cross in to our box. At times they were able to do this under no pressure whatsoever. Hibs could have and probably should have scored more goals but for poor crosses.

Vigursand Ainsworth are very skillful players and either score or assist in many games, but their defensive cover for the full backs is non existent. Honestly i am not sure what the solution is.

Part of our problem too is that we don't really play with an out and out central defensive midfielder. More than any other part of the team the midfield is about a mix, a balance if you like. We haven't got that right but I suppose its only year 1 of a rebuilding programme. Its crucial therefore that we bring in players who will fit into the team pattern and add something to the side. Its not just about quality its also about sourcing the right type of player.

We're maybe veering away slightly from the match itself but there's a good debate to be had about the make up of the side. I personally think it comes down to the footballing philosophies of each one of us and that includes the managers.

Our current and previous incumbents are markedly different in their approach which perhaps makes the differences all the more distinct.

You had Craig Brown whose primary aim first and foremost was not to concede and he looked for his teams to build from there. Hence the reason why we had so many shut-outs and were so well organised in that department, particularly when he first took charge. If we got a raft of goals thereafter and it happened to be entertaining then that was a bonus rather than the plan.

McCall is different. Perhaps not the polar opposite of Brown but he has said on more than occasion that he would rather win 5-4 than 1-0 and looks to build attractive attacking teams rather than a more functional and pragmatic unit. It seems that he is - happy would be the wrong word here - willing, shall we say, to sacrifice a bit on the defensive front if it means we have a greater emphasis on attacking entertaining football.

It boils down to which one of those outlooks sit most easy with you.

Both have succeeded I'd say in doing what they wanted with their Motherwell teams but I do think there needs to be a shade more appreciation of what McCall's outlook is when pointing out the failings of the defence and acknowledging that yes, whilst we are conceding 2's and 3's a bit more routinely than we would all like, since December and things have clicked a little more we've also been fortunate to see our team dish out a fair smattering of 3's, 4's and 5's themselves.

I suppose in a sense it's one the beauties of the game - there's more than one way to win a fitba match!

• Like 1

I can't believe the abuse Hollis gets. I still maintain he has done very little wrong in a Motherwell Jersey.

Instead if ripping into him how about looking at the players in front of him who are allowing the goal chances to happen.

I don't see a series of posts asking for McManus or Hutchinson to leave...

To me it's like Hollis has become the fall guy for any bad result.

We need two new goalies. Gunnar is absolutely murder and, while Hollis appears to be less murder, he should not be getting another contract. I know that football is all about opinions, but I couldn't possibly fathom the point of view of anyone who doesn't agree with this.

we lost the first two goals yesterday because he was rooted to his line on set plays which invites the opposition to attack the ball six yards out. Defenders should be winning the majority of headers but you are going to lose some and if it's at short range the chance of conceding increases hugely.

we lost the first two goals yesterday because he was rooted to his line on set plays which invites the opposition to attack the ball six yards out. Defenders should be winning the majority of headers but you are going to lose some and if it's at short range the chance of conceding increases hugely.

I agree in part as it does invite the attacks but we lost the two goals due to the defenders AND the goalie not dealing with the goals.

Glad to come away with a point but I felt that the changes we made with 20 mins remaining unsettled us and gave hibs a lift. We already had a couple of youngsters on the park who had aquitted themselves well and to bring another 2 into the arena was not the managers best decision of the day. Credit to them for scraping a point from a game which we had in the bag at 2-0.

Once again that referee was very one sided and consistently gave decisions against us.