Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

By my reckoning we can finish 4th and still get in the Europa league providing 2nd, 3rd or Rangers win the cup. Given that if we did finish 4th it would be behind the 2 favourites to reach the final....

Looks fairly likely that we'll be going on another European adventure!

Just a wee thought....

Do we really need Europe?

It's good for the players and the fans alright but is it really good for the club as a whole? The tie with Kuban put things into perspective for me because there were reports that we made no money from it and maybe even came out making a loss. The point of these ties is to go as far as we can, give valuable experience to our players, give our fans something to look forward to and maybe earn a bit of money in the process. However, to make a loss because we got a crap draw makes me wonder if the money saved by not playing in Europe could be better spent elsewhere.

I tend to ask the same question. Thing is, and I could be wrong, by qualifying in fourth we might go in earlier. More chance of facing the sort of teams that we faced under Gannon and Brown and maybe getting two or three ties. Whether that means making more of a loss or a chance to make some money, that might be down to luck of the draw geography wise...

The recognition and potential reward for European success has diluted in recent years but as a fan, we enjoy it while it lasts. Hopefully the club and manager embrace a more positive approach to our chances.

I think even if we repeated last season's feat by finishing 2nd, we would go in at the 2nd qualifying round rather than the 3rd. Judging by the link above, we're likely to go in at 1st round if we qualify. This isn't ideal in terms of preparation and rest but financially it would hopefully secure a couple of home gates.

All comes down to the luck of the draw, had we drawn Swansea rather than that Russian mob, we'd have made a profit this season.

Barring a st Johnstone v rangers cup final or us having a terrible run until the end of the season, I can't see us not being in Europe.

Going in earlier could be great, hopefully get a winnable tie, and if it's not in Kazakhstan or the likes it's unlikely to lose the club money, with the early start we could perhaps get off to a good start in the league.

For the doomsday lot amongst us...

In the unlikely event we qualify for Europe, we'll be drawn in the remotest corner of Europe, get pumped and throw our pre-season into turmoil, as we've no games in July. Not to mention it will cost us money.

:)

Just a wee thought....

Do we really need Europe?

It's good for the players and the fans alright but is it really good for the club as a whole? The tie with Kuban put things into perspective for me because there were reports that we made no money from it and maybe even came out making a loss. The point of these ties is to go as far as we can, give valuable experience to our players, give our fans something to look forward to and maybe earn a bit of money in the process. However, to make a loss because we got a crap draw makes me wonder if the money saved by not playing in Europe could be better spent elsewhere.

over the 10 ties of the 'modern' european era the club will have made a large profit.

We would have had an unbroken appearance record in Europe in the last 5-6 years, were it not for Celtic losing to Ross County 2-3 years ago in the Sc Cup semi.

For that reason and until the Cup semis are played we need to focus on no lower than 3rd, which I am sure we are. Knowing our luck the one time St Johnstone will beat Aberdeen will be when we dont want them too.....

over the 10 ties of the 'modern' european era the club will have made a large profit.

This. Plus we won't know if the Kuban tie made a loss until the end of the season when UEFA doles out the last slice of Euro cash to each competing country. Celtic will get the biggest share, but as far as I recall we have received a nice wee chunk of change in the past.

Why?

If was a nightmare draw, but onwards and upwards!

A few games more akin to Breidablik, allesunds or Flamurtari would be great!

I think Yabba's point is more to do with the fact we ran at a pretty substantial loss last season and exiting both cups so early has cost us a fair bit of cash, along with the fact we may have lost money playing in Europe...

I got a bit of heat when I brought up our top 5 results against our then 100% record against bottom 6 opposition.

What those too quick to pour scorn on what I said by citing I was moaning about beating the wrong teams failed to understand is we operate in a league that splits in April. At that point we play the other top 5 who we've had a dismal record against this season. If results from earlier in the season is anything to go by we can expect 3 points from a possible 15 (based on us actually getting 8 from a possible 39 which was up until the St Johnstone away game in Feb) which would put all of the above in question.

I got a bit of heat when I brought up our top 5 results against our then 100% record against bottom 6 opposition.

What those too quick to pour scorn on what I said by citing I was moaning about beating the wrong teams failed to understand is we operate in a league that splits in April. At that point we play the other top 5 who we've had a dismal record against this season. If results from earlier in the season is anything to go by we can expect 3 points from a possible 15 (based on us actually getting 8 from a possible 39 which was up until the St Johnstone away game in Feb) which would put all of the above in question.

To be fair, you are still wrong.

The points we won have put us in a good position in the league and we will pick up more wins after the split.

I'd be very surprised if we only take 3 points post-split, and I say that as a very long suffering supporter who is rarely surprised by anything our mob does on the park.

We'v been in Europe what 5 times in the last 6 years? In those years a few other clubs have managed to draw a glamour tie, Hearts having EPL opposition.

The way I figure it is, if we keep getting in the pot, one of these days we will hit the jackpot. Either in terms of a glamour tie or sneaking through to the groups......

• Like 2

I think Yabba's point is more to do with the fact we ran at a pretty substantial loss last season and exiting both cups so early has cost us a fair bit of cash, along with the fact we may have lost money playing in Europe...

Yeah, my point was that making a loss in Europe is probably an exception. In previous seasons it's acted as a competitive pre season, which has seen us get off to a flier in our league campaign.

I can also see the point in that we've been slightly unlucky in that we've generally avoided the glamour ties, but still drawn strong teams. Even Levante must be one of the least glamorous sides in La liga.

To be fair, you are still wrong.

The points we won have put us in a good position in the league and we will pick up more wins after the split.

I'd be very surprised if we only take 3 points post-split, and I say that as a very long suffering supporter who is rarely surprised by anything our mob does on the park.

I hope I'm wrong, but nothing I've seen so far tells me I will be.

However its a win win for me, I'm wrong and we secure higher league position, if I'm right I look all prophetic and remind you of it in mid May.