Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

Does anyone have any idea of the caliber / locations that also enter at Q1 & 2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there a high probability we could end up in the back of beyond again?

At Q1 you can end up anywhere from Iceland to Kazhakstan. The latter probably being a worst case scenario!

Looking at this seasons 1st rnd qualifiers I reckon we would be probably negotiate past most of the teams but there were a sprinkling of decent teams in there - Malmo, Rosenborg, Honved, Videoton, Levski Sofia, Sarajevo etc.

2nd round qualifiers mostly teams of at least our level if not above and most would be tough ties - Sparta Prague, Strum Graz, Anorthosis, Lech Poznan, Hadjuk Split, Gothenburg, Red Star Belgrade, Rubin Kazan etc...

Aye, but that's the ones that have qualified already- still a few shiters to be added to that. Has anyone figured out our chances of being seeded yet? I don't even attempt that.

Teams mentioned above are the teams that played in this seasons competition. I'd assume teams of similar standard will come in at the same stages.

The best chance of progressing is if you are either seeded or manage to beat one of the weaker seeds in which case I believe you take their seeded status into the next round (might be wrong about that).

This season

Of 76 that entered at the 1st Round Qualifying stage 0 teams (0%) made it to the group stages.

Of 42 that entered at the 2nd Round Qualifying stage 9 teams (21%) made it to the group stages.

Of 18 that entered at the 3rd Round Qualifying stage 6 teams (33%) made it to the group stages.

Of 33 that entered at the P.O Round Qualifying stage 15 teams(45%) made it to the group stages.

So the odds are certainly staked against anyone coming out of the first two rounds of fixtures, in terms of getting to the group stages.

We actually came in at the 3rd Round Qualifying but weren't seeded and got a one of the bigger teams in the draw.

Aye, but that's the ones that have qualified already- still a few shiters to be added to that. Has anyone figured out our chances of being seeded yet? I don't even attempt that.

From somebody else's research...

At the moment (and this can all change considering teams - including Scotland - have not yet been confirmed). Presuming whoever is in Qualifying round one wins their tie, meaning all three Scottish teams are in qualifying round 2, then...

Motherwell will be ranked 22nd, and are therefore in the top 40 and SEEDED :yahoo:

Dundee United would be 34th, and seeded.

St Johnstone would be 50th, and unseeded.

Aberdeen would be 55th, so unseeded too. Aberdeen are currently ranked 289th in Europe - That'll be the most famous 289th team in Europe, though, according to the deluded.

It's worked out on the likely 80 teams in qualifying round 2, which is based on teams currently occupying the qualifying spots in their respective countires, and the likely winners of the qualifying round 1 ties.A lot of football still to be played yet. The domestic cup finals are a big one, as obviously the Scottish Cup could see a seeded team in United not qualifying, and instead an unseeded St Johnstone. That would be a boost to another country who would move up a place, and likewise a few "upsets" in other cup finals could be a big boost to us, as the list below is only showing the favourites to win each domestic cup.

Listed in order from 1-81 (should be 1-80 but obviously added both United and St Johnstone).

PSV Eindhoven

Anderlecht

Spartak

Hapoel Tel Aviv

Austria Wien

Lech

Slovan Liberec

Partizan

Dinamo Bucureşti

Esbjerg fB

Sturm

Rosenborg

Elfsborg

Omonia

Hajduk Split

Molde

Luzern

ZSKA Sofia

Rijeka

Asteras

Tromsö

Motherwell

Zorya Lugansk

Videoton

Mladá Boleslav

Eskisehirspor

AIK Stockholm

Litex

Neftchi

Ekranas

Petrolul

Vojvodina

Dinamo Minsk

Dundee United

Zestafoni

Hafnarfjördur

Ruch Chorzow

Göteborg

Sarajevo

Zeljeznicar

----------------------------------

Shakhter Karagandy

Hapoel Beer Sheva

Shakhtyor Soligorsk

Spartak Trnava

Dacia

Düdelingen

Differdingen

Split

Győri ETO

St Johnstone

Linfield

Valletta

FK Baku

Inter Baku

Pyunik

Aberdeen

Siroki Brijeg

Botev

Liepajas Metalurgs

Honka

Zawisza

Sligo Rovers

Neman Grodno

Budućnost

Kosice

Vaduz

Luka Koper

Brommapojkarna

Trencin

Gorica

Myllykosken Pallo

Haugesund

Nomme Kalju

Cukaricki

Újpest

Daugava Daugavpils

Jeunesse Esch

Rudar Velenje

Kukesi

Metalurg Skopje

RoPS

The best chance of progressing is if you are either seeded or manage to beat one of the weaker seeds in which case I believe you take their seeded status into the next round (might be wrong about that).

You take the opposing teams co-efficient into the next round if it's higher than your own (whether that get's you seeded or not depends on who else has qualified)

Does anyone have any idea of the calibre / locations that also enter at Q1 & 2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is there a high probability we could end up in the back of beyond again?

[/quote

No doubt it will be an interesting location but our coefficient will ensure that we will be seeded in Q1 and Q2..so hopefully some winable games..Another few games like Llanelli and Flamurtari would be nice.

No doubt it will be an interesting location but our coefficient will ensure that we will be seeded in Q1 and Q2..so hopefully some winable games..Another few games like Llanelli and Flamurtari would be nice.

i'll pass on a repeat of the llanelli home leg but the rest sounds good.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to bump this thread up a little.

Let us hope we avoid Kazakhstan, Armenia, Moldova and the like.

one thing is for sure - we will see more photos from a certain someone rolleyes.gif

They'll all be part of Russia by the time the draw comes round.

• Like 1

Just want to say that I cannot quite believe that a team like Motherwell, have yet again, managed to qualify for European football.

To have gone through administration and then the coming and going of players and management over the years. With the resources we have available to us and being the size of club that we are, to have yet again made it into European competition is remarkable, no that doesn't quite cut it, miraculous.

Growing up as a 'Well fan I have to pinch myself to try to get my head around what the players and management we have had over the years have managed to achieve. Never though that I would see anything like this in my lifetime.

A very, very proud 'Well fan.