Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

Can't be arsed reading all this thread regarding the cost of a ticket but I'd imagine that since the club got stung last year due to who we drew, that this year they are costing things with that in mind - not nice we are paying 25 quid for a ticket against an unknown team but I'd rather that than the tickets were priced low and then the club lost money on an expensive away leg.

• Like 4

i think the fact the club have put the tickets on sale this early and at this price should be enough to tell folk we are in desperate need of the cash...............NOW

the price of the ticket is not great and I do believe it should be cheaper, however I understand why the club have done it. What it will mean though, is that some folk will have to pick and choose their games.

i can see the smallest ever attendance at Fir Park for a home league cup game this season

And losses will continue if fans are priced out of going to matches. Prices will increase to compensate and eventually there are fewer and fewer supporters and the club is unsustainable.

That's essentially what's happened over the last 20 years or so where football prices have sky rocketed against all other costs. Our attendances have probably gone down by 500 - 1,000 regular home supporters in that time.

These European games are additional income for the club. The season should be budgeted to league season and finish. Maybe if we did that we wouldn't make these huge losses.

I'm under no illusion about out financial situation. I think that it's more serious than has generally been acknowledged and I'm sure it had a big part to play in Dempster moving on. But the facts are the clubs financially policies are ultimately flawed if we look at the scale of the losses over the last few years and testing the loyalty of supporters by trying to squeeze more and more out of them is not the answer.

We are flirting with disaster if we expected continued success to pay our bills in the future. What happens if there is another early cup exit again or if we finish 8th or we don't qualify for Europe?

I think the time has come when fans need to start asking serious questions about our finances instead of stumping up more and more.

Spot on.

But apparantly you and I are just trying to save a fiver ... :whistling:

Questions have been asked (and answered) about our finances. We lost out on Rangers/TV/League sponsorship/Cup run money and cut our budgets back in consecutive seasons to reflect that.

The board has been pretty open about the books and what avenues are being explored to bridge the financial gaps. You (and I) might not like all the answers, but they are available.

I think the time has come when fans need to start asking serious questions about our finances instead of stumping up more and more.

It's too late for questions... the board already know, they've made it pretty clear for the past couple of years that our finances are on the slide, and when they told us the possible financial implications of booting out Rangers, some of which are arguably now coming to pass, we agreed to live with it on the basis that the alternative was unpalatable.

It's all about coming up with answers now, and they're rather harder.

You can certainly argue the point as to why we've reached where we are, but the statement from the board was pretty clear on what was required going forward.

The early ticket release and pricing only reinforces the revised strategy.

Their point is pretty clear that if the finances don't come in as required there will no longer have a budget to give you European football far less argue over a fiver.

• Like 1

I am not sure where the unknown opposition points comes into play. I have seen the list of possible opponents and they all rank fairly evenly to me.

Sorry to be harsh, but if there is genuinely any fans who won't attend at £25 that would have at £20 then I would have to question how much they would be worth to the club in the future anyway. If a person wanted to go badly enough, they'd find a fiver from somewhere at six weeks notice.

• Like 1

Questions have been asked (and answered) about our finances. We lost out on Rangers/TV/League sponsorship/Cup run money and cut our budgets back in consecutive seasons to reflect that.

The board has been pretty open about the books and what avenues are being explored to bridge the financial gaps. You (and I) might not like all the answers, but they are available.

The problem is that some fans don't believe the answers they've been given by the club. There's nothing the club can do about that.

People moan like fuck about points lost in the run in. Wastes of jerseys in unacceptable performances. Blowing the chance of Europe.

Then when the club burst a gut and achieve Europe and do their utmost to keep the squad together we then find it unacceptable that it's £25 to get into the first home tie.

Really? Is this where we're at?

£25 is quite dear but I'm happy enough to pay it as seeing us play in Europe isn't something we shouldn't take for granted.

As frazzle said, you'd like to think a fiver, at six weeks notice, wouldn't put fans of from attending.

The club is skint, desperately so. Partly because of missing the gates and hospitality from doing the right thing re Newco and partly because those in charge of the game are not fit for purpose and haven't secured a league sponsor and a decent tv deal.

A few more fans coming through the turnstiles would go a long way but many feel they are bring priced out (which is tragic if these guys are desperate to go to the games) and the rest can't be arsed for whatever reason.

• Like 1

I am not sure where the unknown opposition points comes into play. I have seen the list of possible opponents and they all rank fairly evenly to me.

Sorry to be harsh, but if there is genuinely any fans who won't attend at £25 that would have at £20 then I would have to question how much they would be worth to the club in the future anyway. If a person wanted to go badly enough, they'd find a fiver from somewhere at six weeks notice.

Where do you draw the line though?

Personally my line is about the £20 mark.

If I really want to go to a game I'll go, but speaking more generally, seeing killie away priced at £23 is over a line I've drawn, not because that extra £3 is going to break the bank, it's just too much for what's on offer in my eyes.

Given the likely standard of opposition and how early in the competition it is, I think £25 is pushing their luck slightly.

• Like 1

Where do you draw the line though?

Personally my line is about the £20 mark.

If I really want to go to a game I'll go, but speaking more generally, seeing killie away priced at £23 is over a line I've drawn, not because that extra £3 is going to break the bank, it's just too much for what's on offer in my eyes.

Given the likely standard of opposition and how early in the competition it is, I think £25 is pushing their luck slightly.

see the problem is its all valid, nobody is really right or wrong in much of the discussion

I agree £20 is about the maximum it should be for run of the mill games, £23 for an SPL game is too much, I'm a mug though so if its a Saturday 3pm i'll go as i see that being worth the slight premium (kiding myself on, I know!)

we charge all visitors a minimum £22 at Fir Park, we charge all adults at least £22 to walk into watch games from the Cooper

when I view it from an irrational supporters view, the Europa games are special events

I wouldn't be missing a cup semi final or final because it was >£25, same as I will not be missing a Europa game for that reason.

if we had not been in europe for 13 years, Id reckon there would be less discussion on the price , and more on the potential opponents and our team.

as it is, for me and a mate and two kids its £60, break it down how you like £20, £20, £10 & £10 or any other way and it looks ok.

Edit: not to say I don't understand people, that query £25, if they don't go to many matches , for whatever reasons. But in reality for those that still go regular its only a quid or two on top of an SPFL game, too much? That's down to individual, I know I'd rather go to this one than any domestic game

£25 is quite dear but I'm happy enough to pay it as seeing us play in Europe isn't something we shouldn't take for granted.

As frazzle said, you'd like to think a fiver, at six weeks notice, wouldn't put fans of from attending.

it's not just one game though.

it's the increase in the season ticket price, the extra cup game and the cost of the european games. on top of that if you have put money in the well society it looks like it will be a dead duck by the end of the year.

the board used the carrot of fan ownership to entice half a million quid from the support and have abandoned the idea within a couple of years. the well society episode has made me think differently about how i support the club financially.

The Well Society has plateaued as there has been nothing released to say we are in impending doom, if that were to happen then we'd reach our target. Currently bobbing along in the top of the table and Euro qualification shrouds what a precarious position we are financially if we had a very poor season (bottom six, cup exits very early). The extra prize money we earned this year on the last day has kept the wolf from the door, don't pretend anything else.

As for the season tickets, they've been price frozen for what ..... 4/5 years? Give the club a bit of a break on that front.

If supporting Motherwell is such an issue for you there is always Bellshill Juniors, their tickets don't fluctuate and you'd have no issues with Euro ties ........

• Like 1

In summary a few fans on here want to watch a team finish runners up and regularly compete in Europe

BUT

When the club make it clear they need some help to balance the books they moan like (in some cases) normal.

£25 for 2nd qualifying round is a little steep but as has been pointed out it is still only slightly more than a run of the mill SPL game.

Season ticket prices have been frozen for quite a while now and is one the key reasons why we are running such a loss. Any way you cut it - it still works out as a good price v pay at the gate. Giving fans a free cup game cost the club over £50k when they had to settle with Aberdeen last year. All these things add up.

One thing is for sure. Were the club to cut the budget instead of trying to raise a little extra income, the playing squad would weaken and we would drop down the league. Some knickers wetters on here would go into meltdown and conveniently forget they were bitching about an extra fiver not that long ago....

what if there were 4 of you wanting to go? the harsh reality is - for some people, football is just too expensive - you cant hold that against them

i thought what Dundee Utd did for the cup final was amazing - they knew people would struggle with the price, and for what they raised and the donations coming from around the globe shows lots of people agree (and im not suggesting for one minute that we should do that)

but we are getting to the stage where it is going to become a vicious circle (if we are not already there), yes the club are introducing new offers trying to attract kids and hope they are fans of the future, but that doesnt help the here and now. Yes the club have froze ST prices and can't be faulted for increasing for the first time in 4/5 years - but where does it stop?

the club needs the money, people do not have the money to give - we are a small town team with a small fan base, we cant keep asking the same people for money all the time (unless they have wads of it!!!)

• Like 1

what if there were 4 of you wanting to go? the harsh reality is - for some people, football is just too expensive - you cant hold that against them

i thought what Dundee Utd did for the cup final was amazing - they knew people would struggle with the price, and for what they raised and the donations coming from around the globe shows lots of people agree (and im not suggesting for one minute that we should do that)

but we are getting to the stage where it is going to become a vicious circle (if we are not already there), yes the club are introducing new offers trying to attract kids and hope they are fans of the future, but that doesnt help the here and now. Yes the club have froze ST prices and can't be faulted for increasing for the first time in 4/5 years - but where does it stop?

the club needs the money, people do not have the money to give - we are a small town team with a small fan base, we cant keep asking the same people for money all the time (unless they have wads of it!!!)

That's not what he is doing...

I would argue that whilst we are not a big city team we are certainly not a small town team. That status would certainly be true of somewhere like Brechin City, Carluke Rovers or perhaps Annan. The club has every right to ask the same people to give and some will give. Some of course won't or can't give - that's life. Asking the same folk to give more is not the complete answer I agree.

An alternative is to cut admission prices thereby putting ourselves at a disadvantage compared with our competitors, who certainly will not cut prices. If we cut PATG prices and/or costs the quality of the product on the park will suffer and less fans will attend thereby putting us into a downward spiral.

Whilst I agree with many of the complaints about pricing in general, there are no easy answers I'm afraid .

Would it be better to spin this as:

3 quid more than a Ross County game on a Tuesday night in mid Feb? Thought so!

It's what, our 14th forray into Europe, in 10 years time we may look back and say, "Jeez remember when we played xxx in 2014, not a sniff since .... ahh those heady halcyon days ..."

I don't grudge the club 25 quid for the heightened atmosphere, the ability to wear a t-shirt and walk home when it's still light.