Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

Hammell had a shocker, every time they got forward down that side he was standing off giving them easy crosses, Reid was nearly as bad on the other side and his use of the ball was dire every time somebody closed him down.We were too slow on the break, poor in defence and second to nearly every ball in midfield.Their second pen looked very soft but going on clear chances they probably deserved a draw.

Can I also make special mention to set pieces.... both defending and attacking...

Attacking:- leaving one defender back, every player in the oppo box, float an outswinging ball in and its knocked away which results in a 3 on 2 break away.... clearly we didnt learn from last year...

Defending:- allowing players a free run at the ball and not being physically strong enough to hold players off. We look like conceding regularly.

Really good for 25 mins, utterly unprofessional for 20 mins then abysmal in the 2nd half.

Same flaws as last season, can't keep possession, can't win the ball back, can't defend cross balls. And at the moment we don't have the quality at front and back that bailed us out time after time last season.

Can't get my head round why we started all the flicks and tricks at 2-0. Somewhat insulting towards out opponents who more than deserved the draw in the end.

You are 100% correct, nobody could disagree, an overall shocking display. I don't want to hear any excuses about lack of fitness, we were playing a team 2-0 down after 20 minutes and quite clearly there to be beaten 4 or 5-0. We may lack pace as some said at the game but that doesn't hide the fact that we are too slow in passing the ball whether over 10 yards or 50 yards.

Keith Lasleys' forward passing is as it always has been atrocious, together with his ability to hit the target, he's a ball winner on the field nothing else.

We can't have any complaints about the penalties.

I get so frustrated seeing too many of our team managing to miss the target from less than 18 yards when not under any great defensive pressure. Why oh why can't we win games comfortably against poor teams and that is exactly what Stjarnan were on the night.

Can I also make special mention to set pieces.... both defending and attacking...

Defending:- allowing players a free run at the ball and not being physically strong enough to hold players off. We look like conceding regularly.

This for me is where we never seem to learn and get punished every single time for it. I can put up with poor passing, players poor fitness but it is criminal not closing down and letting the opposition run all over you. Running alongside an opponent seems to be our motto just now. Even if someone stood in the way of the runner with the ball it would help. I would even be happy if we done it on the half way line but we let people run from their own 18 yard line almost into our box and not even a hint of a tackle.

Losing a 2 goal lead was bad tonight, we were crusing and gave them an easy way in to the game...then we were very poor for the rest of the game, 2nd to every ball and did nor look fit.

I know Stjarnan are well into their season but they are part timers FFS we should have had that tie over by half time. You cant legislate for 2 pen awards but they did look pretty clear cut. Still its 2-2 at half time so the game is there for the winning, so i expect us to get a result up there.

Both penalties were rightly awarded, Lasley stuck his arm out for the first and why did he not just clear the ball for the second instead of taking it back towards goal.

They did their homework on us and caught us on the break from our first corner! Do we not learn! McCall in his interview yesterday said we need to learn from previous Euro games and not get caught on the break..... Were the players not listening.

Steve Hammell was left exposed on numerous occasions and they should have scored two in the second half from crosses from their right. The penalty came from him being left with two players to mark, Vigurs ball watching and not tracking back.

• Like 1

Frustrating stuff.

I'm still a little taken aback at the turnaround. They gave us a warning early on certainly but once we got ahead I couldn't really have asked for much better start than what we got. Good opportunism for our first and a finely constructed and taken second after capitalising on a mistake.

And then it all went tits up.

You can't pin it on him ofcourse but that horrible niggling memory of the Carswell chance before they got the third just refuses to go away. Put that away and we were surely home and dry. I remember pointing out that one or two of the Stjarnan players looked deflated at 2-0 but suddenly from nowhere they got the game changing away goal and they never looked back.

Again you think if Sutton had put that chance immediately after their goal it might have allowed us to regain the initiative the way we had before, but we never quite did. We had the bulk of the ball certainly, were well on top but they had just as many, if not more clear cut opportunities in the second half. I couldn't honestly say their equaliser wasn't undeserved.

Even at 2-1 it looked like it was going to really really tricky over there, but we've got a right task on our hands now. Still do-able but we've made a whole difficult for ourselves than it ever needed to be.

Think we are lucky to still be in the tie after the amount of clear cut chances they had. We were abysmal tonight especially our defending.a like Ramsden as a rb but at center half he is a bomb scare,McManus isnt much better. A don't care if it is pre season but they are professional footballers and they should be a lot fitter than what they showed tonight.very poor tactics from the manager tonight, we can not break teams down and were going to have to do this in Iceland. The only positive bout tonight is my bank balance mite not take a hit if we don't get through

Very poor stuff tonight against a part time side with a 15 stone 5 ft 7 striker!! Worried that our elder statesmen are on the road oot! Lasley was as poor as ive ever seen him tonight and hammell looks a stone overweight and i lost count of the number of times he was raped down that left side tonight, the amount of chances created by stjarnan down that side was frightening, but as someone said earlier vigurs may not have helped this. Cant see us going through now which would be criminal, but lets hope rik waller up front has a heavy pre match dinner and is out of sorts!! And i hope mccall is now looking at their no 17, best player on the park by a mile!

Steve Hammell was left exposed on numerous occasions and they should have scored two in the second half from crosses from their right. The penalty came from him being left with two players to mark, Vigurs ball watching and not tracking back.

Both our full backs get completely exposed. Hammell recently has tended to play tucked in, he should be further out to cover the right sided mifielder. He's played left back his entire career so why he's started doing that I don't know, if it's an instruction or his choice.

I thought he was decent enough in the tackle and on the ball but there is so much space down the left it was easy for Stjarnan to hurt us from that position.

Flicks , tricks and showboating at 2-0 is never the best idea , best saved for when you are out of sight at 4 up , which is where we should have been before the first penalty was conceded, if we had been professional in our approach .

As it was , when they got back to 2-1 , the confidence and swagger instantly disappeared and it was us looking like the part-timers .

As the game wore on it came as no surprise that it ended as it did , and in truth there could have been no complaints if Stjarnan had converted one of their chances to sneak the win .

Need to go there now and either keep a clean sheet or rack up a few goals . Sadly don't see either happening by tonights showing .

If stevie hammell plays further out nearer the touchline its a simple ball inside him. So I don't think its is simple as playing wider. What' he's guilty of however is not busting a gut to stop the ball coming in

He's playing just outside the 18 yard box line. I'm not saying he has to be out on the touchline but he has to be in the channel otherwise they have a free reign down the entire side of the pitch, that is what happened tonight.

we're in a bad position having to get a win or a high scoring draw on an astro pitch that won't suit our players. they will be very confident.

putting fraser kerr on to play right mid was unbelievable, he has always struggled there but he's massive now and has the turning circle of mid size truck. the game started with us almost losing a goal from from our own set piece and ended up with us losing a goal from our own set piece, it reminded me of the scottish cup game at pittodrie in terms of utter ineptitude. vigurs was meant to be at left mid but i can only assume he was chasing the ref along with half our team.

Right, first 20 minutes, looked up for it and blew them away. Then a button was flicked and we started onto easy street. My top criticism here is Ainsworth. Every time he got the ball in the first 20 he looked electric and is he could/would do something. After that, he made no runs, had no zip and killed any breaks. Unfortunate as he was our main outlet for attacking.

They sliced us open in the first half and Dan luckily saved it despite diving the wrong way and those around me started clapping. I had to count to ten at this stage.

Their penalty was stone wall and deserved but only because we let them come back into the game. That gave them fire and they used it as much as we petered out.

Unfortunately Sutton needs a foil or a rapidly supporting midfield, he got that in dribs and drabs tonight.

As discussed already in the thread, too much trying to walk the ball into the back of the net. Too many instances of stupidly giving the ball away in midfield with half arsed/inaccurate passing no doubt resulting in why Hammell is getting so much heat, to be fair to him, 2 seconds before he was bounding up the wing to then find one of his teammates has given the ball away and he has to hightail it back.

Next may get me some heat, despite the two goals (which I felt were fortuitous opposed to insightful) I found Law a little out his depth. Of course he was playing English non-league only a few months ago and by no means our worst player.

Erwin had some nice touches for a big lad, but lost headers repeatedly by a guy 6 inches shorter and 50lbs lighter.

So Portugal was a week focused on fitness was it? Well it wasn't on show for me tonight, a few key players blowing.

What's concerning for me, next week we have to break down a team who are going to put a wall up and if both our performances in the cups last season is anything to go by we have no ideas in these situations.

He's playing just outside the 18 yard box line. I'm not saying he has to be out on the touchline but he has to be in the channel otherwise they have a free reign down the entire side of the pitch, that is what happened tonight.

Absolutely this. How many free crosses do we want to give a team.

At 2-0 up I jokingly turned to my friend and said - bet this ends 2-2. I was of course joking as we we so far ahead. I have supported Motherwell long enough to know not to make such a jokewallbash.gif

Lasley had a mare and as usual Ainsworth and Vigurs can go from being unplayable to being unplayable.

I thought it would be tough but i did not think in this way. As for their fat no 10. He was a very good footballer....

We could do it next week, but i am not convinced we will.

This for me is where we never seem to learn and get punished every single time for it. I can put up with poor passing, players poor fitness but it is criminal not closing down and letting the opposition run all over you. Running alongside an opponent seems to be our motto just now. Even if someone stood in the way of the runner with the ball it would help. I would even be happy if we done it on the half way line but we let people run from their own 18 yard line almost into our box and not even a hint of a tackle.

Shut up and stop talking pish, McCall said we would learn from the last euro game so we must have! We learned after the Panathinaikos game,Levante game,Kuban game, Aberdeen cup game,Albion Rovers game . Oh Wait....................

• Like 2