Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

You can make a fast player run faster but you can't make a slow player run faster.

The great Scottish sprinter Allan Wells would disagree with you on that one. I am sure he offered his services to clubs in the 80’s with the sole purpose of improving fast or slow players speed using his training techniques. Wells was confident that he could improve any players speed. I could be mistaken, however, If I remember correctly one of the first clubs he offered his services to was Motherwell but we declined. Maybe someone with a better memory than me can clarify the story.

I don't think I'm going to be quite so scathing of the performance last night as most seem to be. I'm a glass half full sort of guy, but far from being one of the much maligned 'happy clappers'.

Apart from getting caught on the break a couple of times, and the daft handball from Lasley I though we were pretty good in the first half. Before the first penalty our passing and moving was actually excellent. When they pulled that goal back and started pushing men forward our momentum and chance of killing the tie off was gone. We started to drop deeper and couldn't get Ainsworth (who was unplayable for half an hour) on the ball enough. But even in the second half where we struggled to control the game, we still managed to create a good few chances.

It was after about an hour that we struggled. We were getting caught on the break while not being able to craft out too many chances ourselves. Big Erwin gave us something extra when he came on, but Fraser Kerr was more useless than the anonymous Ainsworth in the 2nd half. We did push for a 3rd goal towards the end and that is what killed us. What is it with us and defending crosses? It's fucking nuts how vulnerable we are!

While it's not a sure thing, I do think we are more than capable if going over there and grabbing a win. If they sit back like they did for the first part of last nights game then we'll create chances and score goals.

This may see me marked down as insane but I reckon Angol might have made a difference last night.

We kept getting exposed down the left as their right back had no one in his way due to Vigurs tendency to drift inside. Someone more inclined to stay wide would have at least given their right back another body to get past.

Thing is, if you play Angol and Ainsworth, you'd need to drop Vigurs, Law or Lasley. Would McCall do that?

For me, if you're playing 5 in midfield, at least two have to be players that are natural wide players. Particularly against a packed defence, you need to stretch them out as much as possible...

This may see me marked down as insane but I reckon Angol might have made a difference last night.

Given that he might actually have provided some cover for Hammell, I don't think that's insane.

FWIW, I still think we'll win comfortably over there. We were far, far worse against a Llanelli, went to Wales and finished them off nae bother.

We go in at half time last night 2-0, we see the game out comfortably. We concede just before half time and we're in bother. I imagine they'll try and shut up and hit us on the break. An early goal for us opens up the tie.

How do folk think we'll set up in Iceland then? If we've signed a forward then I can't see Mccall going with anything other than 4-4-2.

Erwin and Sutton up top, Law, Carswell, Lasley, Ainsworth, Hammell, McManus, Ramsden and Reid.

Lets go and batter them.

@MotherwellFC: The reward for Stjarnan is a third round tie against JK Nõmme Kalju or Lech Poznań...

Going by last nights performance this is what the tweet should have been...ph34r.gif

Fuck it, I am going to stay positive and believe that we can beat a semi pro team to get through to the next round.

Mon the Well! thumbup.gif

WTF did we do in Portugal for a week? Last night we were playing a part-time team who had players that would have had to get time aff their work to travel to Scotland. I bet they could never, ever dream of spending a week together training in the Med. (Apart from the fact they would need factor 200). Our players take it for granted that they are so far ahead of part time teams in terms of facilities and opportunities.

Also, did we do actual fitness training in Portugal or just dick about playing footgolf? It should have been men and boys last night. For the first 30 min it was, I actually think we commited the cardinal sin of taking the foot off the gas, our players seemed to feel sorry for theirs rather than putting it to bed! Then our lack of cutting edge was down to game practice. We should have had 2 or 3 friendlies against Scottish Champ teams to prepare for that game last night.