Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

A worrying trend that must surely be of concern to McCall and the current crop of players. I am not certain what the answer is, as it feels like various Motherwell managers and players throughout the years have suffered similar problems.

Play like St Johnstone.In the last 2 seasons they've won a cup and are on the verge of getting another very good European result against a decent team.If anything we've had and still do have better players than them but when it comes to big games they've been doing something right recently.

Play like St Johnstone.In the last 2 seasons they've won a cup and are on the verge of getting another very good European result against a decent team.If anything we've had and still do have better players than them but when it comes to big games they've been doing something right recently.

That's not an answer though, unless you know what they do differently from us. I'm pretty sure they have a much bigger budget, for example.

That's not an answer though, unless you know what they do differently from us. I'm pretty sure they have a much bigger budget, for example.

No way have St Johnstone got a bigger player budget than Motherwell.

I know we have paid out good wages to 1st team players over the past few seasons. That when added to win bonuses saw the likes of Higdon have a handsome 6 figure salary.

We run with a smallish squad and pay better than average salaries for a provincial side.

Problem is there is little room for manouvre if and when injuries hit...

Just watched the youtube highlights

Cannot argue with the penalties. God only knows what Lasley was doing for the 1st one. He leaves it alone it would go to the goalie but there was little threat around. I appreciate it was instinctive but......

The second was hell of an unlucky. Leaving aside the full on attack at the free kick, the woeful defending that followed. When the cross came in the MWell defender attempted a clearance that smacked off the Stjarnan attackers face and literally hit Lasley in the leg, falling right at Tofts feet. Lasley definitely had a hold of him, but I have seen them not given.

If we apply ourselves we are capable of scoring a couple over their. I worry about the asroturf pitch however. We don't have the best record on them of late :whistling:

I would be surprised if St Johnstone had a bigger budget than us for players. I reckon our budgets will be on a par with each other.

We have a slightly bigger budget. They have gone for a different type of squad from us. No stars, with the exception of the homegrown May, just hard working, experienced physical, reliable types. A streetwise side. Very few of their lads have come through their own youth ranks. They're not as talented as some of our lads but they don't have our weaknesses.

Is there any truth in what I am hearing that we can't play our next tie at fir park due to the commonwealth games and lack of police in the area?

If we get through we would be at home in the first leg but they will need to switch the ties so we will be away first on the 31st July

We have a slightly bigger budget. They have gone for a different type of squad from us. No stars, with the exception of the homegrown May, just hard working, experienced physical, reliable types. A streetwise side. Very few of their lads have come through their own youth ranks. They're not as talented as some of our lads but they don't have our weaknesses.

agree with that.

watching their midfield harass and get on top of dundee united in the cup final was night and day from how we approached our three consecutive thumpings from them.

If we get through we would be at home in the first leg but they will need to switch the ties so we will be away first on the 31st July

Wondered about that, not great for travelling Poles not knowing what week the away game would be until we play on Thursday for getting time off etc. Taking this with a pinch of salt until I see it confirmed by the club/UEFA but it would make sense. I was also wondering how the hell I'd get from Glasgow to Motherwell for a few pints with the Commonwealth stuff going on.

Wondered about that, not great for travelling Poles not knowing what week the away game would be until we play on Thursday for getting time off etc. Taking this with a pinch of salt until I see it confirmed by the club/UEFA but it would make sense. I was also wondering how the hell I'd get from Glasgow to Motherwell for a few pints with the Commonwealth stuff going on.

Even more trains are running between Glasgow and the towns outwith so I am sure you will be fine!!

We requested the first leg of the current tie to be played at home due to Commonwealth Games pressure on accommodation and UEFA accepted that. We may do so again but UEFA would not need to accept that request. I don't know UEFA's position if the Police stepped in and said the first game WOULD not take place at home - presumably they would need to comply.

Even more trains are running between Glasgow and the towns outwith so I am sure you will be fine!!

That's not actually true. It is a Saturday service but longer trains and I need to get to Argyle Street, it is far from ideal.

Definitely. Timetables are very similar but there are no Lanark express trains, I know it is only five minutes but I can just and no more catch the 18 minutes past at Central but I have no chance of getting to Argyle Street. There are extra trains from Rutherglen to Garscadden to cover the games venues but not out to Motherwell. However this is the wrong thread for this until we have at least won against Stjarnan!

Definitely. Timetables are very similar but there are no Lanark express trains, I know it is only five minutes but I can just and no more catch the 18 minutes past at Central but I have no chance of getting to Argyle Street. There are extra trains from Rutherglen to Garscadden to cover the games venues but not out to Motherwell. However this is the wrong thread for this until we have at least won against Stjarnan!

Thats true. Carry out for the train then while you wait for the 39 minutes paat to make up for the lost 20mins!

Tickets for the match have been priced at:

Adults: £20

Under 16s: £10

Tickets will be available direct from the Stjarnan at the Samsung völlurinn on both Wednesday (from 2pm) and Thursday, but are restricted to just 85 for general sale served on a first-come-first-served basis.

General Manager Alan Burrows said: “We advised Stjarnan eight days ago that we expected approximately 300 / 400 Motherwell fans to make the trip to Iceland and asked for as many tickets as possible.

“Frustratingly, the Samsung völlurinn holds just 1000 people meaning our allocation is small with UEFA rules stipulating a minimum of 5% (fifty tickets).

“Stjarnan advised us that they hoped to accommodate as many Motherwell fans as possible but we are being limited to one block within the stadium.

“Unfortunately, they did not have the facility to bring tickets with them to the game in Scotland, so will sell them directly to Motherwell fans at the ground from 2pm on Wednesday.”

The Icelanders have confirmed ‘Well fans will be made most welcome at the All-in SportsBar near the ground before and after the match.

All-in sportbar address:

Stakkahraun 1

220 Hafnafjörður

Iceland

The game will also be shown live on Icelandic television – Stöð 2 sport.

Decorator must raging that he can't have a drink the night before otherwise he'll miss out on the 2pm sale and the run is over.

It's a bit of a poor show from the home team no opting to switch to a bigger stadium as we are bringing so many, expensive trip to spend it sitting in a bar buying expensive beer.

Sorry to say it but I hope they do a one ticket per person thing, not overly fair if you're at the tail of the queue and someone arriving on Thursday gets a brief.