Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

We are building this team up to be something they are not (they are really not that good). If we can't beat a semi pro side to go into the next round I would be happy for it to be our last ever European game. We are the better team, so no fucking about Motherwell just go out and beat this mob.

Mon the Well!

Pretty much my thoughts. No disrespect to Stjarnan but we really ought to beat them. If we can't, questions ought to be asked.

Odense - after the first game we should have beaten them at FP but shat the nest big time.

That was a missed opportunity. But when the draw was made, I don’t remember thinking "we should beat this lot". Given the first leg, we could have got through but blowing one opportunity against a team that we could (not should) have been good enough to put out does not make a poor European record...

That was a missed opportunity. But when the draw was made, I don't remember thinking "we should beat this lot". Given the first leg, we could have got through but blowing one opportunity against a team that we could (not should) have been good enough to put out does not make a poor European record...

Indeed, that one will always rankle. Had Murph put that penalty away you were looking at something 5 minutes plus another 4 or 5 against 9 men to take the game to extra-time, where ofcourse you would had another 30 minutes against 9 men to get the winner.

Baws!

But today isn't for past negatives. Positivity all the way today. It will be done!!

1406189029[/url]' post='417015']

That was a missed opportunity. But when the draw was made, I don't remember thinking "we should beat this lot". Given the first leg, we could have got through but blowing one opportunity against a team that we could (not should) have been good enough to put out does not make a poor European record...

I don't think we should ever look at a Euro draw and think we should win. Just because this mod are part timers or semi pro's it doesn't mean they are shite, only that their league cannot sustain full time football. As I said previously, I didn't see the first leg so can't compare this team but knowing our ability to screw up winnable games then I fear the worst.

We don't have a relatively poor European record. We have exactly the European record we're meant to, but carry on with the doom.

In the grand scheme of things, yes, we wouldn't be expected to do anything of note in Europe. However I think what rankles most people is that our recent attempts have been utterly dire. Failure to score in seven out of our last eight matches in Europe with fourteen conceded and we failed to even look as though we believed we could make a game of it in the majority of those games. The games against Levante and Kuban at home were pathetically gutless displays from us. Then last week we surrender a 2-0 lead against a semi professional Icelandic side and are now staring an embarrassing elimination in the face. So our record might not be poor on paper but our attempts in recent times certainly have been.

• Like 1

Indeed, that one will always rankle. Had Murph put that penalty away you were looking at something 5 minutes plus another 4 or 5 against 9 men to take the game to extra-time, where ofcourse you would had another 30 minutes against 9 men to get the winner.

Baws!

But today isn't for past negatives. Positivity all the way today. It will be done!!

if we had one of the three or four early chances we had i think we could have ran away with. despite losing it was one of the better matches and atmospheres at fir park over the last few years.

i'm seeing plenty of links for the lech poznan game at 6 and the aberdeen game at half 6 but nothing for us?

We don't have a relatively poor European record. We have exactly the European record we're meant to, but carry on with the doom.

I don't think we have a terrible European record but I'm not sure if it's "exactly the European record we're meant to".

We've beaten the minnows and lost to the big teams but what about the intermediate sides?

MyPa we should have beaten, no doubts about that. GKS Katowice, not bad side but a team we could have beaten. Odense, again a decent side but not an impossible task. The only team in the intermediate section that we have beaten is Aalesund.

So in overview we have beaten the minnows, lost to the big sides and then lost 3 out of 4 against teams where we probably had about a 50/50 chance of getting through.

That's edging towards poor more than it is where we should be and if we lose tonight over two legs against a part time team then our European record takes a further turn for the worse.

Like I said, it's not a terrible record but I think we should have done a bit better overall. Hopefully tonight is something on the plus side rather than the negative side.

May be a very frustrating game to watch, as I'd assume that Stjarnan will sit in and 'defend' their two away goals. However I'd like to think we have enough quality to force a goal over the 90 minutes, however it may well be sclaffed shot/bundle over the line from a corner or freekick. Not overly confident, but reckon the squad will be right up for it now and get the job done. COYW

If they do defend deep, then hopefully our ball players like Vigurs and Law, coupled with ZFA and Ainsworth out wide, will be able to crack them open.

Be interesting to see how both teams react if we get the first goal.

We are wide open to the counter attack.

However you have to also remember than Stjarnan didn't score against us in open play, it was two poorly conceded penalties.

I don't think we should be playing this in a gung-ho fashion. We need to just play and hope our 'quality' wins the match we score 1 more goal than them and we win the tie.

They might be defensively tight and sit in but they are semi pro, inexperienced at this level and seem to be a naturally attacking side. We need to be sensible about how we approach the match, if we let them I suspect they would come out. Constantly pressing them might not be the ideal way to approach this game.

It's counter intuitive but I reckon to win this game we need to let them get on the ball.

I agree Stuwell. they sat in against us at the start of the first leg and we punished them. Once the reverted to their normal attacking game they played much much better.

Sure McCall said after the first game they expected them to be strong upfront and weaker defensively

we need to play this game the way all the bigger European teams have played against us. Let them have the ball and commit players forward then hit them on the counter attack. although that being said they don't need to win this game so maybe they are planing on putting 10 men behind the ball and saying come break us down.

Still think we have more than enough to win this. 3-1 for us.