Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

Whoever is in charge of Motherwell's media these days has to ask the following question.

"Stuart, why are you so shite in cups?".

Otherwise it's just some shitty Pravda style affair that I've never going to pay any attention to ever again.

What chance have you got when the boy who used to write the programme is elevated to GM but is still asking the same sooky questions from behind the camera?

• Like 2

Unfit and unprepared ! And that's down to management. It was obvious last year attitude to fitness was poor, an extra two weeks off ? Should have been an extra two weeks prep .How much has this crap cost us and very bad orginisation is the cause . But we did learn from last year and got players signed up early. This is worse than the rovers result onwards and upwards

are you suggesting we should have signed a keeper taller than 5 eight?

We have one but his reward for saving a penalty against Celtic and finally finding some form was to be dropped for a guy we didn't even offer a contract to.

Nielsen has been shafted. Not saying that Twardik should shoulder the blame for this debacle but he hasn't covered himself in glory.

Stats can be made to show anything but I find it amusing that people are decrying the lack of a striker. Celtic scored five in two games against a side from Iceland. We scored four against the side top of the league in Iceland. Tends to suggest to me that the problems don't lie in our attacking options. Now you could argue that three of the five we conceded were penalties and one of the others ends in the stand 99 times out of 100. But thing that strikes me is that we're not set up properly defensively if we're getting into positions where we can concede penalties so often. Inviting too much pressure with a lack of ability to maintain possession? Possibly..

I wasn't at tonight's game but a few questions that raised their head tonight have been there for a while.

Why can Ainsworth not last 90 minutes? A small, quick Paddy McCourt?

Why do the stamina levels of our team seem to be so lacking? I noticed that one of the backroom staff that Hibs have appointed under Stubbs is a fitness and conditioning guy. Do we have such an individual at the club?

Why continually play guys out of position? Fraser Kerr is being slated by some. A centre half being asked to play right wing. If you were a joiner asked to do some plumbing work, how would you cope? He may seem to have some qualities that would be useful out there (quick, will obviously track back) but it's a position that's alien to him, no matter how many 15 min sub appearances he gets there. Why have a winger on the bench if you're going to replace Ainsworth with a defender?

I feel a deep sense of frustration because despite these obvious flaws, we were the second best team in the country last season. We can and do know how to win football matches. Why is it in cup games, we fail? I actually think we'd have beaten Groningen. Why? Because whenever we're expected to win these one off games, we struggle with expectations. Bad news is that we're probably the fourth biggest club in the league this season so we better get over this psychological barrier soon, because we'll be favourites more often than not...

Scunnered but I'll still be there at the start of the season. Why? Because I always am...

• Like 1

The botom line is the team was not prepared enough, the number of games played before this tie was never going to get the team match fit.

The club allowing players to leave for zip also is coming home to roost as SM has no funds to adequately replace outgoing players.

I have been taken to task, even abused personally, for stating this previously by other SMol posters but facts are facts, no club can keep allowing players to leave for o return.

Totally agree with comment on letting players go for free. Something wrong with how we deal with contracts at fir park. Hibs got millions for players few years ago and United are now following suit yet we have better team than both yet we can't seem to get anything for anyone!!

Wonder what the questions will be tonight?

"Stuart, how disappointed are you to lose to a part time Icelandic team over two leagues?"

Answer

"We're gutted. Felt the boys worked really hard tonight, OK we were a little slack at times but overall I was really pleased with the work rate and when we got that early goal BLAH BLAH FUCKING BLAH!".

We have one but his reward for saving a penalty against Celtic and finally finding some form was to be dropped for a guy we didn't even offer a contract to.

Nielsen has been shafted. Not saying that Twardik should shoulder the blame for this debacle but he hasn't covered himself in glory.

Stats can be made to show anything but I find it amusing that people are decrying the lack of a striker. Celtic scored five in two games against a side from Iceland. We scored four against the side top of the league in Iceland. Tends to suggest to me that the problems don't lie in our attacking options. Now you could argue that three of the five we conceded were penalties and one of the others ends in the stand 99 times out of 100. But thing that strikes me is that we're not set up properly defensively if we're getting into positions where we can concede penalties so often. Inviting too much pressure with a lack of ability to maintain possession? Possibly..

I wasn't at tonight's game but a few questions that raised their head tonight have been there for a while.

Why do the stamina levels of our team seem to be so lacking? I noticed that one of the backroom staff that Hibs have appointed under Stubbs is a fitness and conditioning guy. Do we have such an individual at the club?

Why continually play guys out of position? Fraser Kerr is being slated by some. A centre half being asked to play right wing. If you were a joiner asked to do some plumbing work, how would you cope? He may seem to have some qualities that would be useful out there (quick, will obviously track back) but it's a position that's alien to him, no matter how many 15 min sub appearances he gets there. Why have a winger on the bench if you're going to replace Ainsworth with a defender?

I feel a deep sense of frustration because despite these obvious flaws, we were the second best team in the country last season. We can and do know how to win football matches. Why is it in cup games, we fail? I actually think we'd have beaten Groningen. Why? Because whenever we're expected to win these one off games, we struggle with expectations. Bad news is that we're probably the fourth biggest club in the league this season so we better get over this psychological barrier soon, because we'll be favourites more often than not...

Scunnered but I'll still be there at the start of the season. Why? Because I always am...

I'm pretty pissed off tonight as is probably already apparent but I think Twardzik has to be left out of this. Over the tie he conceded 5 goals and 3 were penalties and 1 was a wonder strike. The tie wasn't decided by ineptitude on his part.

Our defensive set up is shocking and has been for some time. How many goals did we concede with Hutchinson in the team last season? Without him it could be catastrophic next season which is why I've said over and over again we need to replace Hutchinson with an experienced defender. But no. We haven't even be linked with anyone. It was obvious we had no real intention of bringing anyone in, looking instead to a pay day that will never come now to pay for a replacement.

The preparation for the game was shocking, Aberdeen started the season two weeks earlier and have come through two rounds, while we have been blowing out our arses against semi pros. Not good enough and that is down to the manager and no one else. You can point fingers at the players but we played one proper friendly in our pre season. It's also the managers fault for not sorting out our defensive situation and for making the same terrible substitutions time after time. Did anyone honestly think there was anything other than a defeat coming from this when Kerr replaced Ainsworth. I also feel sorry for the guy. Again blame the manager not the player. And we played exactly the same line up and presumably the same formation tonight as we did in the first leg, when it wasn't exactly a huge success first time round. We are so predictable and have no Plan B, we make it easy for the opposition.

One thing I will disagree with you about. There is no chance we'd have beaten Groningen. I didn't see the matches but I'm guessing they were more than 50% fit.

Totally agree with comment on letting players go for free. Something wrong with how we deal with contracts at fir park. Hibs got millions for players few years ago and United are now following suit yet we have better team than both yet we can't seem to get anything for anyone!!

we don't offer long enough contracts or tie people down to the club, soon as we have a player who looks to have bags of potential say hutch for example or ojamaa we should be ramming 4 year contracts down their throats and talk them up to be world beaters after every game, then knock back some offers and let everyone know we have, could have easily fetched a good few million for them two if we'd had some balls

"Stuart, how disappointed are you to lose to a part time Icelandic team over two leagues?"

Answer

"We're gutted. Felt the boys worked really hard tonight, OK we were a little slack at times but overall I was really pleased with the work rate and when we got that early goal BLAH BLAH FUCKING BLAH!".

I actually typed an identical post to that then deleted it as thought I was being harsh but do you know what, was I fuck. It is the same ridiculous pish after every defeat.

SMc constantly harps about both the lack of funds and fans making the games...... Doesn't he realise that fans are interested in cup runs etc. I appreciate our league positions and what we have achieved in the league but if I'm honest the way to attract lay/part time fans is always cup runs and we have been a shambles in that regard.

Fitness..... Don't even start me... A total fucking embarrassment. We are no fitter than amateur pub footballers who actually work for a living.

Everyone talks about how this is a great club to play for and the atmosphere is great. That's because it's an incredibly easy club to play for as the players have an incredibly easy life.

• Like 2

we don't offer long enough contracts or tie people down to the club, soon as we have a player who looks to have bags of potential say hutch for example or ojamaa we should be ramming 4 year contracts down their throats and talk them up to be world beaters after every game, then knock back some offers and let everyone know we have, could have easily fetched a good few million for them two if we'd had some balls

Absol fucking utely! The failure to do this lies mainly with former general manager and board. I really think the success on field has masked major flaws off field. Have our attendances went up? Got large transfer fees for players? Signed up our best players on long term deals? Struck better sponsorship deals? I would say no!

Some very valid points there mate........

Another line of debacles in the history of MFC..........potential to have the thousand s of Poles at FirPar filling the south stand/tv money etc etc

blown away with what woud appear lack of match fitness and the mangers desire to try and defend a lead at both the home and away ties........:dash2:

Keith fucking Lasley gives away THREE penalties but folk are having a pop at a subbie (Kerr) playing out of position. Brilliant

I don't think you need to be exclusively critical of one or the other. I think most people are bothered with both. But the fact is, as bad as it was to give away three penalties, especially from one player, we were winning the tie when Kerr came on so it's actually quite an important part of the match, especially since everyone except Stuart McCall knows it does not work.