Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

Post re Carswell is somewhat off the mark.

He is not, and to the best of my knowledge never claimed to be, a creative goalscoring midfielder.

He is however an effective defensive/ holding midfielder who goes about his business quietly and with a good deal of energy and effort.

In short he is in the team to do a thankless, more often than not dirty, job and as a result goes under the radar when it comes to effectiveness and fans' appreciation.

Perhaps he will blossom more when Keef's appearances start to tail off as he starts feeling his age.

Agree with a lot of that Noah, but like Keith Lasley, he often disappeared when the going got tough last season. Now that may be because he's a young player and inexperienced, time will tell. To be fair to him and Keith, he's suffered because of the unbalanced midfield set up we played last season ie little or no pace.

If you are going to play him then he needs someone pacy beside him and creativity elsewhere in engine room.

Post re Carswell is somewhat off the mark.

He is not, and to the best of my knowledge never claimed to be, a creative goalscoring midfielder.

He is however an effective defensive/ holding midfielder who goes about his business quietly and with a good deal of energy and effort.

In short he is in the team to do a thankless, more often than not dirty, job and as a result goes under the radar when it comes to effectiveness and fans' appreciation.

Perhaps he will blossom more when Keef's appearances start to tail off as he starts feeling his age.

Can only echo that. When we have long since failed to find a suitable replacement (recurring theme?) for Steve Jennings, Carswell looks to have all the attributes although asked to perform another role...

Would anyone slate Mascherano or Makalele for not scoring? Ok so Carswell isn't of that calibre but he is basically in there doing that type of job. I happy to see him get more game time to develop. Very rarely has he played where remotely felt he was in anyway letting the side down.

Criticism of Lasley from some is excessive also, sure he does deserve some stick for these two games. He might have been a bit unlucky to give away three penalties but he could and should have done better not to get in the situation where the ref had a decision to make.

That being said Keef is a Motherwell legend. Far from the most gifted to wear the jersey but up there in terms of spirit and determination. When Malpas brought him back he almost single handedly turned that team around to get some results. He is in fact a better footballer than some give him credit for, sure he makes the odd blooper and rash challenge. Probably a few more of the latter been creeping into his game as he has gotten older but he has a little bit of everything to his game, he scored a few nice goals, he created a few and generally is composed in the middle of the park.

He is for me a Motherwell level Raul, pretty much good at every aspect of the game if not a master or stand out at any. Miles better than contempories like Ian Black we have been lucky to have him and sure a two year deal is questionable at his age I hope he finishes his playing days with us before the legs give way to much and he moves on to involved in coaching or even managing us one day. Although I'll pity the poor guy if he ever does manage us as he'll get about 100 times the stick he gets now unless we qualify for the Champions League going by the amount of folk that want McCall to go.

1406538875[/url]' post='417741']

Would anyone slate Mascherano or Makalele for not scoring? Ok so Carswell isn't of that calibre but he is basically in there doing that type of job. I happy to see him get more game time to develop. Very rarely has he played where remotely felt he was in anyway letting the side down.

Criticism of Lasley from some is excessive also, sure he does deserve some stick for these two games. He might have been a bit unlucky to give away three penalties but he could and should have done better not to get in the situation where the ref had a decision to make.

That being said Keef is a Motherwell legend. Far from the most gifted to wear the jersey but up there in terms of spirit and determination. When Malpas brought him back he almost single handedly turned that team around to get some results. He is in fact a better footballer than some give him credit for, sure he makes the odd blooper and rash challenge. Probably a few more of the latter been creeping into his game as he has gotten older but he has a little bit of everything to his game, he scored a few nice goals, he created a few and generally is composed in the middle of the park.

He is for me a Motherwell level Raul, pretty much good at every aspect of the game if not a master or stand out at any. Miles better than contempories like Ian Black we have been lucky to have him and sure a two year deal is questionable at his age I hope he finishes his playing days with us before the legs give way to much and he moves on to involved in coaching or even managing us one day. Although I'll pity the poor guy if he ever does manage us as he'll get about 100 times the stick he gets now unless we qualify for the Champions League going by the amount of folk that want McCall to go.

Take your point about the role he is playing but I have seen him in a few goal scoring positions like the one against Stjarnan and not do the businessJust cos you're a holding player doesn't mean you can't hit the target from bout 12 yardsLike you said he's not of the same calibre as guys mentioned so he needs to add more to his game, like the odd goal here and thereHope he bags a few and I will be chuffed

Take your point about the role he is playing but I have seen him in a few goal scoring positions like the one against Stjarnan and not do the businessJust cos you're a holding player doesn't mean you can't hit the target from bout 12 yardsLike you said he's not of the same calibre as guys mentioned so he needs to add more to his game, like the odd goal here and thereHope he bags a few and I will be chuffed

It is frustrating seeing proessional players sclaff shots badly. We all reckon we could do better. How often do we see pros unable to do simple things with their weaker foot, non forward type players(even some forwards) unable to seemingly hit a clean strike at goal more consistently. I often stare in wonder at these things and I guess it is down to the pressure of doing it when it counts. Quite sure they must be capable of all these things but doing it when it matters seems to be what sets apart the best from the rest.

I'll be delighted as anyone if Carswell starts adding a few goals to his game, they all must do a bit of shooting practice surely. Certainly could be the difference between winning and losing games for us and selling on for a decent fee a player for a change.

My take on both games (having been at the home one) and now having seen the highlights from the away one.

1. We should have never ever accepted a Danish ref when they had 5 Danish nationals playing.(and where did they come from? check their previous squad)

2. We got 10 corners at home to their none. A total of 24 over both games and 1 goal. Conclusion there a waste of time for us.

3. We are utter crap at back pedalling in defence. Seen time after time.

4. The penalty number 3 was a farce over there.

5 Sutton had a dead cert one turned down.

6. Lasley was blocked twice by the ref when going to shoot in good positions.

7. The goalie saw that coming a mile away and couldn't reach it. Worrying.

8.Their scorer would never again score from there in his puff.

So onwards and upwards sometimes your out before anyone telt ye.

• Like 1

My take on both games (having been at the home one) and now having seen the highlights from the away one.

1. We should have never ever accepted a Danish ref when they had 5 Danish nationals playing.(and where did they come from? check their previous squad)

I don't think we have a right of veto!