Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

Whether we regard it as being fleeced or not, our finances aren't great right now and that is partly due to the Rangers situation. When we all voted to keep them out the SPFL, we knew we would take a financial hit and everyone at the time was on board with how that could affect prices.

Well, here we are, runing at a loss the last couple of seasons, still without a league sponsor, and having recently lost the 2 Edinburgh clubs to the Championship.

It's not ideal, but if a few quid extra is helping out the club, then it's fair enough.

• Like 2

Got to agree. 25 quid is way to steep. Not going to encourage many non well fans, who may have been tempted to go along and watch a game, to come along.

20pounds would have been about right. Kids a fiver.

It's a tough one. On the face of it £25 is steep, but cut that to even £20 and £8 for kids and you need to increase the gate by 25%. Would it really encourage an extra 1000 people to go along on top of the 4000 or so who probably will anyway? Past history suggests there'd certainly be no guarantee.

• Like 2

I think it's a bit steep given the likely level of opposition. We should be able to beat any team we can get in this round.

Having said that, it's not going to be the deciding factor for most folk going or not.

I know you italicised 'should' but memories still haunt me of myPa-47 in Europe and Albion Rovers domestically. I will never underestimate or think we will beat anyone in Europe. We don't have the class of player to feel we can take care of any team in any league. I think the board are correct and are thinking about going out early and trying to get as much money in the pot as early as possible in the season and you can't blame them with our record.

1402344904[/url]' post='414051']

I know you italicised 'should' but memories still haunt me of myPa-47 in Europe and Albion Rovers domestically. I will never underestimate or think we will beat anyone in Europe. We don't have the class of player to feel we can take care of any team in any league. I think the board are correct and are thinking about going out early and trying to get as much money in the pot as early as possible in the season and you can't blame them with our record.

Not to disagree with your point, get the impression the board and management team will fancy their chances starting from a seeded position this year, hence, quick of the mark securing current squad members with a nod to the future.

Not to disagree with your point, get the impression the board and management team will fancy their chances starting from a seeded position this year, hence, quick of the mark securing current squad members with a nod to the future.

I really hope your right as I would love a wee run in Europe. :nod:

See all of these geniuses that reckon it should be £20 instead of £25, do you also reckon that doing so would add 20% more folk to the attendance? I'm certain it wouldn't, therefor agree entirely with the clubs pricing structure.

Maybe they arent geniuses, just folk that £25 is a lot of money to and could go a long way towards something other than a match against a side they've never heard of

I'll buy my ticket , i'll hope i can make it and i can see why the club is doing it - and if you take your kids it is a decent deal.

£25 to watch part time footballers is taking the piss in anyones language though and only an idiot would think otherwise.

• Like 1

Maybe they arent geniuses, just folk that £25 is a lot of money to and could go a long way towards something other than a match against a side they've never heard of

I'll buy my ticket , i'll hope i can make it and i can see why the club is doing it - and if you take your kids it is a decent deal.

£25 to watch part time footballers is taking the piss in anyones language though and only an idiot would think otherwise.

You've not even gone close to answering my question, or addressing my point. Of course £20 would be better for us to pay. £10 would be better still, etc etc

However, the club has to try to maximise every revenue stream available. If 'Flow had a guarantee that Fir Park would be a sell out if he made it a tenner a ticket, I reckon he'd do it. However, history would tell us that the difference in attendance between charging £20 and £25 would be minimal, so what you're asking the club to do is kiss goodbye to thousands of pounds to get a tiny handful of extra bums on seats. It's just not feasible.

• Like 1

You've not even gone close to answering my question, or addressing my point. Of course £20 would be better for us to pay. £10 would be better still, etc etc

However, the club has to try to maximise every revenue stream available. If 'Flow had a guarantee that Fir Park would be a sell out if he made it a tenner a ticket, I reckon he'd do it. However, history would tell us that the difference in attendance between charging £20 and £25 would be minimal, so what you're asking the club to do is kiss goodbye to thousands of pounds to get a tiny handful of extra bums on seats. It's just not feasible.

Charge £30 then

Fuck those who cant afford it.

We all know the club is attempting to maximise revenue streams , that they are doing it weeks ahead of the draw tells me that they could be doing with it too. They are also taking the piss if they charge £25 to watch Mypa47.

Im fortunate enough that the fiver doesnt make a difference to me , for others it will , good luck in maximising them in future.

• Like 1

At last common ground - £30.00 it is then.

What has the opposition got to do with price of a ticket for a Euro game. It's already been explained that a reduction isn't going to produce the desired increase to make it viable, so why do it, just to make the ground look full?, even though we don't make as much money. It's only common economic sense, and to paraphrase your previous comment - "and only an idiot would think otherwise".

There is nothing either to substantiate claims that reductions in price reductions breed new generations of fans or attracts stay-away ones to come back on a regular basis (our average attendances bear that one out).

Whether we regard it as being fleeced or not, our finances aren't great right now and that is partly due to the Rangers situation. When we all voted to keep them out the SPFL, we knew we would take a financial hit and everyone at the time was on board with how that could affect prices.

Well, here we are, runing at a loss the last couple of seasons, still without a league sponsor, and having recently lost the 2 Edinburgh clubs to the Championship.

It's not ideal, but if a few quid extra is helping out the club, then it's fair enough.

My finances are not great now either and that is partly due to the economy being shite situation, I'm almost running at a loss and if it's a decision between saving myself upwards of 30 large plus diesel etc then the club have lost out.

• Like 1

At last common ground - £30.00 it is then.

What has the opposition got to do with price of a ticket for a Euro game. It's already been explained that a reduction isn't going to produce the desired increase to make it viable, so why do it, just to make the ground look full?, even though we don't make as much money. It's only common economic sense, and to paraphrase your previous comment - "and only an idiot would think otherwise".

There is nothing either to substantiate claims that reductions in price's breeds new generations of fans or attracts stay-away ones to come back on a regular basis (our average attendances bear that one out).

What has the opposition got to do with the ticket price ? Are you serious ?

It costs £10 to get into a Linfield home game , here we have folk being advised to save up for a month and treat themselves to a £25 viewing of them

If it "isnt viable" to watch Linfield for £20 whoever is doing the sums and dishing out the contracts up at Fir Park needs bumped before they do any more damage. That is common economic sense.

Squeezing the fans for every penny at every turn is a mistake IMO and i hope its not a sign of how the new broom is intending to sweep through Fir Park.

• Like 2

1402352132[/url]' post='414063']

Squeezing the fans for every penny at every turn is a mistake IMO and i hope its not a sign of how the new broom is intending to sweep through Fir Park.

But do Motherwell really squeeze the fans at every turn?

Yes I'm serious. WTF has Linfield's gate prices got to do with what we charge. I paid 7 euros to watch Nancy away and a damn sight more at the return leg - no corellation at all. Does your logic stretch to charging £25.00 if its a full-time club? hope we get one in the draw, sure that will help to justify the price to yourself, when handing over your hard-earned.

Who's telling anyone to save up for their ticket lol - prices have been announced, if you want one buy it. If you want to save up so be it, but nobody is telling you or anyone else to do that. Individuals choice.

And if you can't see what frazzie tried to explain about how many more needed to come through the gates at the reduced prices to make the same level of income, then you are exactly as paraphrased. Do you seriously believe that the Club would increase the gate 20% by reducing prices. or as in Numpty's example an extra 1000 on top of the 4000 who will go anyway?

£25 is a lot of money especially if we go through a couple of rounds. Considering the cup match was taken off the season ticket and the season ticket price increase you'd think the club could throw us a bone here, at least for the opening qualification round. If we get a big name later on fair enough but this match is likely to be against a minnow.

I'll buy my season ticket but it's getting to the point where I am almost priced out of attending matches that aren't included with the ST now. That really saddens me as I've hardly missed a home match in 20 plus years and the only cup match at Fir Park that I've ever missed in any competition since 1986 was Levante a couple of seasons ago due to work commitments.

I think Motherwell really need to be careful here because it's not about increasing supporters any more its about keeping supporters and this flogged horse is nearly dead.

Two rounds of Euro League and a home League Cup match is another £100 to all extents and purposes that the club are asking for on top of season ticket money and other money I put in.

I'm working freelance and I've made about £2,000 in the last 6 months (maybe about £8,000 over the year) and I just finished a job today and there is nothing on the horizon. It's tough times out there and quite frankly I shouldn't even be buying a season ticket.

I know the club has to try and make as much money as possible but sometimes short term gain is against long term interest. Stuff like this alienates fans and they drip drop away, 10 this match, 20 another and before you know it there is 500 off the average gate.

My finances are not great now either and that is partly due to the economy being shite situation, I'm almost running at a loss and if it's a decision between saving myself upwards of 30 large plus diesel etc then the club have lost out.

And that's not good - no disagreement there. If we need to turn a profit this season, though, and we are relying largely on gate money to do it, ticket prices like this are inevitable.

I know the club has to try and make as much money as possible but sometimes short term gain is against long term interest. Stuff like this alienates fans and they drip drop away, 10 this match, 20 another and before you know it there is 500 off the average gate.

It's not short term gain though, it has been medium term losses. The cold hard facts of our accounts the last couple of seasons don't lie. All these games where we have let kids in for free and had cheap tickets have not stopped us from running at a loss.

I'm sure the club would much prefer it if we had more TV money and a league sponsor, but failing that, our major revenue stream is our gate money. If I was going to pay a few quid extra I'd rather do it for a Euro game than an Accies or St. Mirren game.

If there was an easy answer to boost our funds and lower ticket prices, every club would be over it like a rash.

£22 any game in Cooper

Increases to £25 for a Celtic game in majority of stadium

£32 for adult and kid

Cannot see why this euro game should be priced cheaper but the club have managed to get the kids in cheaper.

It's not short term gain though, it has been medium term losses. The cold hard facts of our accounts the last couple of seasons don't lie. All these games where we have let kids in for free and had cheap tickets have not stopped us from running at a loss.

I'm sure the club would much prefer it if we had more TV money and a league sponsor, but failing that, our major revenue stream is our gate money. If I was going to pay a few quid extra I'd rather do it for a Euro game than an Accies or St. Mirren game.

If there was an easy answer to boost our funds and lower ticket prices, every club would be over it like a rash.

And losses will continue if fans are priced out of going to matches. Prices will increase to compensate and eventually there are fewer and fewer supporters and the club is unsustainable.

That's essentially what's happened over the last 20 years or so where football prices have sky rocketed against all other costs. Our attendances have probably gone down by 500 - 1,000 regular home supporters in that time.

These European games are additional income for the club. The season should be budgeted to league season and finish. Maybe if we did that we wouldn't make these huge losses.

I'm under no illusion about out financial situation. I think that it's more serious than has generally been acknowledged and I'm sure it had a big part to play in Dempster moving on. But the facts are the clubs financially policies are ultimately flawed if we look at the scale of the losses over the last few years and testing the loyalty of supporters by trying to squeeze more and more out of them is not the answer.

We are flirting with disaster if we expected continued success to pay our bills in the future. What happens if there is another early cup exit again or if we finish 8th or we don't qualify for Europe?

I think the time has come when fans need to start asking serious questions about our finances instead of stumping up more and more.