Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

For me it is summed up when I travelled to see Motherwell play My pa 47 in Finland. We had played 4 times in Europe since 1991, so 3-4 years.

At that time I was in my early 20's and was looking forward to the next year in Europe and the excitement of where that would take us.

WELL most on here will know the answer is it took us a whole 13 years before we played again in Europe with Nancy in France.

So I do not take qualifying for Europe for granted and after missing our on travelling to Russia last year am desperate for another trip this year. The reality is that Rangers will back in the top league soon enough and with Aberdeen, United and probably a stronger Hearts and Hibs we could well go on another prolonged run without European football.

Every game is a cup final between now and end of the season. I hope the players treat it like that. Could do with maintaining a 2 wins gap over United and possibly ICT as we go into the split.

• Like 1

I was checking scores now and again on Saturday and was quite happy to see St. Mirren two up. Couldn't believe it when I saw the final score - we could have been doing without that!

After ICT we've a wee run of bottom six teams before the split which we need to make the most of. It would be incredible to go a whole season unbeaten against the bottom six.

My first Motherwell game was against Third Lanark at Fir Park, before the new stand was built. Yes, the POD. It used to be new ! I had to wait until 1991 and the Cup win before I saw my team even qualify for Europe. That was after I saw us gubbed 6 and 8 nothing by Aberdeen and Morton in the 1970s and 80s.. And there are people here, moaning about revenues. Incredible.

Europe ? Bring it on !

I'm with you there. Worse was seeing us grubbed 8-3 by Partick Thistle. I remember seeing Kilmarnock, Dunfermline, St Johnstone all getting into Europe and wondering if we'd ever get there. Guys soak it up while it's going because it won't last forever.

The only thing I would ask UEFA is why they don't consider having the preliminary rounds organised on a regional basis to help smaller clubs avoid heavy travelling costs.

The only thing I would ask UEFA is why they don't consider having the preliminary rounds organised on a regional basis to help smaller clubs avoid heavy travelling costs.

I can only think that it's because it would be impossible to divide Europe by region without having massive differences in the quality of each region. This would mean that some regions would be easier to get out of than others. At least with this setup teams get through rounds on merit.

I can only think that it's because it would be impossible to divide Europe by region without having massive differences in the quality of each region. This would mean that some regions would be easier to get out of than others. At least with this setup teams get through rounds on merit.

That would be a problem.

Here's Splstat's take on European qualification

http://splstats.word...n-spots-201314/

Haivng read that are we sure that is correct? Early on it said if league winner wins the cup then runner up gets a spot, otherwise the runners up do not get a place in europa. Yet at the end he says if an ineligible team wins the cup then the runners up get a europa spot. Really ??? For the first scenario he states that UEFA mandated this so have they also mandated that if an ineligible teams wins it then runners up get the spot in europa cup?

The ideal scenario for Motherwell is an Aberdeen / Untd final as that would ensure that 4th place gets Europe, (assuming that both of them finish in the top 4). The cup runners up only get Europe if the winners have already qualified for a higher tournament i.e. the champions league, so as Celtic are out that wont happen, so St J will need to win it to get Europe, unless they finish 2nd or 3rd in the league.

As for Sevco, thay are barred from Europe for 3 years so they wont qualify even if they win it ( which if there is a god he will ensure that it wont happen ).

It did say they could theoretically win the league AND the cup. It's been a few months since you could say that about us.

Much as it pains me to say it, Aberdeen beating St. Johnstone would go a long way to ensuring fourth place qualifies for Europe.

It did say they could theoretically win the league AND the cup. It's been a few months since you could say that about us.

Much as it pains me to say it, Aberdeen beating St. Johnstone would go a long way to ensuring fourth place qualifies for Europe.

I hope not , St J are 16 behind us so they wont catch us, but we are in with a good chance of finnishing 2nd again. A win against Aberdeen will cancel the game in hand the Sheep have on us and undo the damage of us losing 2 points against Hibs.

2 successive seasons as "the best of the rest" would be a massive achievement for Motherwell, especially after losing the players we did, so i want a ST J win or at least a draw. :nod:

• Like 1

What happens if Rangers win the cup?

The Samaritans will have to take on quadruple shifts and that's just for the 'Rangers' haters on this site. God knows how the Celtic support and their obsessed bloggers and phone in crackpots will cope...I'd avoid the Erskine Bridge should 'Rangers' lift the Cup.

You're right though - we shouldn't be giving up on 2nd place. A good run before the split (with 3 games against bottom 6 teams) and we could potentially ensure a top 3 finish, leaving us to fight it out for 2nd.

In that case I would be quite happy to see St. Johnstone play Utd. in the cup final.

The Samaritans will have to take on quadruple shifts and that's just for the 'Rangers' haters on this site. God knows how the Celtic support and their obsessed bloggers and phone in crackpots will cope...I'd avoid the Erskine Bridge should 'Rangers' lift the Cup.

Meanwhile I'm sure you'll be celebrating wildly that a poor wee victimised team with 140 odd years of unbroken history :whistling: has triumphed over the 'haters'.

• Like 1