Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

I actually feel pretty bad for him. It isn't his fault he gets chucked out there and watching him poke it past the fullback and run is painful.

your right and to be fair to kerr he's only playing where he's been told too,im just amazed mccall keeps sticking him on at right midfield as it clearly doesn't work.

Hammell recently has tended to play tucked in, he should be further out to cover the right sided midfielder. He's played left back his entire career so why he's started doing that I don't know, if it's an instruction or his choice.

He has been doing this all his career, not just tonight. Its his single biggest weakness and always has been. To be fair tonight though he had little or no protection in front of him and our opponents, like many before them capitalised on it.

A poor performance tonight on just too many levels. Team was nowhere near match fit and questions must be asked of our preparation. Disappointed too with the team selection and tactics. John Sutton was left too isolated, as we could have predicted, and turned in a performance reminiscent of his spell under John McGlynn at Tynecastle. A single striker was never going to work. We had a fair bit of pressure but no cutting edge. Our build up was painfully slow and predictable.

Very few decent individual performances - Law and McManus excepted. I'm a little puzzled about the criticism of Keith Lasley. Granted he didn't play well but he was no worse than quite a few others. Carswell blew hot and cold but had a better second half than first, when he made quite a few careless errors.

Stjarnan look to be about the quality of a team like QoS or Cowdenbeath. We should beat them next week but will have to improve our preparation, team line up, tactics, performance and attitude.

A very poor show tonight - taking everything into account probably our worst Euro performance since the home game against Llanelli.

Well, that was ugly. I think we're streets ahead in terms of quality, but utter lack of fitness and game intelligence cost us. Some work to be done, certainly. I don't see it being done for next Thursday mind you.

Impressive stuff from Erwin, mind you. I look forward to seeing more from him.

I don't quite get the criticism of Hammell.

He was left 2 on 1 all night long. If Dom Thomas can't get a game due to his inexperience in tracking back then what's the script with Vigurs? Lovely balanced footballer but his apparent lack of interest and work ethic was horrible to watch.

No excuses next week. We should be heading there with a significant cushion and no concerns about the dodgy pitch. At a time when we repeatedly get the clubs finances rammed down our throat, we can't afford another Albion Rovers.

1405643363[/url]' post='416542']

Ooft some absolutely cracking ties potentially in the next round! Hull City, Torino & PSV would all be amazing! What are the dates for those? (if we get through...)

A week on Thursday. The games just keep on coming.

I said this before and I will say it again. Winning v Aberdeen meant everyone was waxing lyrical about an extra 2 weeks holiday.

McCall even acknowledged that he read these comments (not necessarily from me) but stated they would not be able to find opponents.

Mmmm - Aberdeen seemed to manage somehow.

Last night was a combination of poor decision making from our captain for 2 penalties and a lack of fitness. Now that would be expected v a team that have played x13 the number of competitive games, but we should have been better prepared and coming back a week earlier might wheel have made the small difference.

The positive is that we are still in it... Negative is that it will be mighty tough and it looks like a 'one and done' again.

Vigurs must be the most frustrating player I have ever seen. Such talent... but he does my head in at times.

Very similar pattern to the games against Ross County home, Killie home, ICT home and St Mirren away in the last third of last season. Comfortably ahead by one or two goals having dominated with high tempo, controlled football only to allow the tempo to go out of the play once the lead is established. The opposition come back into the game, Motherwell begin to panic and games are drawn or lost having been in a very comfortable position.

This has happened far to often to be coincidence and certainly could not be put down to lack of match fitness at the tail end of last season. For me certain key players (Ainsworth and Vigurs being the main examples) often seem to feel that the job is done after half an hour and allow the intensity to fall out of their play.

This has nothing to do with lessons learned in European football as these warning signs should have been picked up and worked upon in the domestic season.

The big positive for me was Carswell's performance. Took responsibility when other more experienced players were posted missing. His performance in the last ten minutes was excellent showing that it is possible to be match fit even after an extensive lay off for injury.

With the right attitude Motherwell will win next week. They are a better more talented team than the opposition.Sadly I think there are to many question marks over the temperament of the team to be confident that they will win the tie.

I said this before and I will say it again. Winning v Aberdeen meant everyone was waxing lyrical about an extra 2 weeks holiday.

McCall even acknowledged that he read these comments (not necessarily from me) but stated they would not be able to find opponents.

Mmmm - Aberdeen seemed to manage somehow.

Last night was a combination of poor decision making from our captain for 2 penalties and a lack of fitness. Now that would be expected v a team that have played x13 the number of competitive games, but we should have been better prepared and coming back a week earlier might wheel have made the small difference.

Good post Iain. Loads of teams were playing in full scale friendlies before us. St Patricks Athletic, Brechin City, East Fife were all playing in June, never mind July. Another dozen were playing before 12 July.

Last night the team was not physically fit and that showed. How many players had played a couple of full 90 minutes, or even one before last night? Match fitness was always going to be a potential issue and it was just too evident.

Good post Iain. Loads of teams were playing in full scale friendlies before us. St Patricks Athletic, Brechin City, East Fife were all playing in June, never mind July. Another dozen were playing before 12 July.

Last night the team was not physically fit and that showed. How many players had played a couple of full 90 minutes, or even one before last night? Match fitness was always going to be a potential issue and it was just too evident.

We played Fulham last week and their first match isn't until the 9th of August. They will have a full month of pre-season before they kick off.

Contrast with us.

Although all the blame must lie with the coaching staff for our fitness woes, it seems utterly ridiculous that professional sportsmen wouldn't take it upon themselves to keep fit over summer. Even going for a half hour run every couple of days should keep them ticking over but it's evident from the highlights that they've not even bothered to do that.

First game where the wee man sat through it all. Was also in the Davie Cooper stand for the first time and it was great!

Anyway onto the football. The problem from KO was that Ainsworth and Vigurs gave Hammell and Reid no backup at all and both were constantly exposed.

If they had sorted that then their threat would have vanished.

Starjan had about 5 really clear cut chances and should have won the game last night with a few goals to spare.

Its one of the worst defensive displays I have seen from us in years.

Although all the blame must lie with the coaching staff for our fitness woes, it seems utterly ridiculous that professional sportsmen wouldn't take it upon themselves to keep fit over summer. Even going for a half hour run every couple of days should keep them ticking over but it's evident from the highlights that they've not even bothered to do that.

I know what you're saying but some of our guys are never going to be fast irrespective of how fit they are - Keith Lasley, John Sutton and Iain Vigurs being three examples. You can make a fast player run faster but you can't make a slow player run faster. What did concern me last night was that some players couldn't last 90 minutes - thats a physical fitness issue.

Also like to point out that I think we will learn from our mistakes tonight and will beat them in Iceland.

This is what I'm hoping for, too. However, Mr McCall keeps saying that we'll do that time and time again. I've yet to see evidence of it, really.

This might finally be it though.

Maybe.

Perhaps.

Great to see big Erwin make his debut.

Bit concerned 're back 4 as they were a bit exposed, for reasons already posted, and the lack of a Hutchy type mobile, aggressive cb. Mick likes a bit of pace beside him so I feel it might take a bit of time for the defence to sort itself.

Perhaps a wee punt on Kerr beside him might work.

Anyway it's only half-time, so fingers crossed for 2nd leg.

Noah,my thoughts exactly. Fraser Kerr,6'3 Centre Half who has a great turn of pace,heres a novel idea,play him where he has played all his career and stop fucking about at right mid! Given 4 or 5 games together,Kerr & McManus could start to develop a decent partnership

Replacing Ainsworth with Kerr showed a sign of negativity. The other lot picked up on that and upped a gear. Also how many times did we get caught out down Hammells side because he was tucking in. The goal was always gonnae come from that side.

Cannot believe we were 2 up and cruising and yet ended up being thanful for a draw, pathetic.

Great to see big Erwin make his debut.

Bit concerned 're back 4 as they were a bit exposed, for reasons already posted, and the lack of a Hutchy type mobile, aggressive cb. Mick likes a bit of pace beside him so I feel it might take a bit of time for the defence to sort itself.

Perhaps a wee punt on Kerr beside him might work.

Anyway it's only half-time, so fingers crossed for 2nd leg.

Good post. In defence of Stuart McCall he is trying to source exactly that kind of centre back, for the reasons you mention. Simon Ramsden is not a centre back and admits that himself. Bantam fans are surprised that we're playing him there. Fraser Kerr is a good shout in the short term. A bit raw but he has all the attributes and is the fastest guy at Fir Park bar Ainsworth.

I do think next week will be easier.

I'm just in shock that McCall still thinks Kerr at right mid is a good idea. Clueless sometimes.

Watched the highlights there and defensively we were very poor. Reid caught up the field so many times. We looked like we had a lot of possesion but as someone mentioned earlier, sutton was isolated and we seemed to shoot from range numerous times without really troubling the keeper.

We only need to win in Iceland though!

Players can only keep themselves at a certain level of fitness during the close season. Otherwise we wouldn't need a pre-season.

What we lacked was game fitness. Game fitness is a lot different from running round the Strathy or going on the bike in the gym.

You need games to have game fitness and we had one proper friendly before this match and we strolled around and hardly got out of a canter.

The number of friendly games and the attitude in those games is down to the manager.