Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

Meanwhile I'm sure you'll be celebrating wildly that a poor wee victimised team with 140 odd years of unbroken history :whistling: has triumphed over the 'haters'.

No I won't be doing that however I shall have a good old chuckle at the mouth foaming outrage that will almost certainly ensue as a result. :)

Aye but I cant see UEFA rolling over to let them in the way the SFA did. Theres no danger they will be in europe next year

They can't play in Europe next season because UEFA rules require that clubs are able to produce at least three years worth of audited accounts before competing in their competitions and 'The Rangers' only have two so its a non starter. And, unlike in Scotland, 'The Rangers' are small fry and are not depended upon to boost the reputation of the game and its tournaments, so UEFA won't be bending the rules because of special circumstances like the SFA did.

boost? reputation?

:popcorn:

In ordinary circumstances a club going to the wall and starting again as a newco would have to apply to join the scottish leagues as Gretna did. However in 'Rangers' case they were straight in to the third division after attempts to place them in the first division were ko'd. I believed at the time and still do that the authorities viewed 'Rangers' old or new as part of the only selling point of Scottish football and moved the goalposts a bit as a result.

Basically, without the 'Old Firm package' then Scottish Football would have no selling power to sponsors and TV companies so they parachuted Rangers' newco in to the highest point they possibly could in order to secure sponsor and TV support. UEFA on the other hand do not need or rely on 'Rangers' to the same extent.

Aren't they banned from Europe for 3 years?

No.

To some extent I think its down to our own footballing authorities. Its extremely unlikely granted, but not impossible, that their participation would be supported by the SPFL & SFA.

Have the rangers actually filed any audited accounts at all yet? Not sure they have.

Quite possibly not given the shambolic way that club is run, but one thing is certain and that is that they don't have three years worth so therefore cannot play in European competition.

They can't play in Europe next season because UEFA rules require that clubs are able to produce at least three years worth of audited accounts before competing in their competitions and 'The Rangers' only have two so its a non starter. And, unlike in Scotland, 'The Rangers' are small fry and are not depended upon to boost the reputation of the game and its tournaments, so UEFA won't be bending the rules because of special circumstances like the SFA did.

Is the UEFA rule not that they have have to have one year of accounts but that they have to have been a member of their national association for three years?

Is the UEFA rule not that they have have to have one year of accounts but that they have to have been a member of their national association for three years?

That's a new one on me, I'm pretty sure the requirements were three years worth of accounts.

However whatever the exact ruling is I am 100% satisfied that 'Rangers' will not be eligible to play in Europe next season.

There are no avenues, unless UEFA want to open themselves up to a major legal battle, which could see UEFA paying out a fair bob to, at least Derry - and a couple others(who in theory could argue would be entitled to all monies from Q1 to the Final).

The SFA are in charge on what positions and handing out licences, UEFA are in charge of rubber stamping them.

The last line of the small summary is key to those that are "worried" the SFA would shoe-horn them in....

Derry City have been refused entry into next season's Europa League competition by Uefa.

The European football governing body has taken the decision because the club went into liquidation just over two years ago.

That led to a European ban for three years and this is the final year of the Candystripes' suspension.

Derry would have been guaranteed at least 110,000 Euros for participation in the competition.

The re-formed club, with support from the FAI, asked for the rule to be relaxed but Uefa refused to relent.

I think its times for this discussion to move to other football , but just to get folk that are interested the opportunity to mull over some facts:

EDIT: Derry city, are participants in the top division of the member association which had to license them.

Aye but I cant see UEFA rolling over to let them in the way the SFA did. Theres no danger they will be in europe next year

UEFA do not have rules that absolutely prevent it, they only ask that the club is licensed to participate by the member association that enters the club in the UEFA competition.

So it is all down to the integrity of the SFA, Stewart Regan still runs them doesn't he?

The following, is the only thing the SFA may not license, the Rangers, for participation in the Europa competition

c) it (the club) must have obtained a licence issued by the competent national body in accordance with the UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations (2012 edition) and be included in the list of licensing decisions to be submitted by this body to the UEFA administration by the given deadline;

However, expect to hear ARTICLE 15 SPECIAL PERMISSIONS, mentioned, if Rangers get to the final

Article 15 of the UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations (2012 edition)states:

Article 15

1. If a club qualifies for a UEFA club competition on sporting merit but has not undergone any licensing process at all or has undergone a licensing process which is lesser/not equivalent to the one applicable for top division clubs, because it belongs to a division other than the top division, the UEFA member association of the club concerned may – on behalf of such a club – request an extraordinary application of the club licensing system in accordance with Annex IV.

2. Based on such an extraordinary application, UEFA may grant special permission to the club to enter the corresponding UEFA club competition subject to the relevant UEFA club competition regulations. Such an extraordinary application applies only to the specific club and for the season in question.

AND to keep it Motherwell related, I think it best to focus on finishing third or above.

• Like 2

That's a new one on me, I'm pretty sure the requirements were three years worth of accounts.

However whatever the exact ruling is I am 100% satisfied that 'Rangers' will not be eligible to play in Europe next season.

The only rule I've seen that mentions 3 years is the one for membership of the national association. It's all in article 12 of the UEFA fair play rules.

Where did you see the rule about 3 years of accounts?

The SFA won't rock the boat in Scotland. If it transpires that Rangers win the cup, they'll quite happily ignore any reaction locally and wait to see if UEFA intervene.

The SFA will never do anything voluntarily to punish this mob

Agreed the SFA are shit scared of upsetting either of those two..but UEFA rules are clear re new clubs and to them Rangers are a diddy club so it wont happen. It would be nice to see UEFA slapping them down though

Do the big teams automatically get into the Europa group stages the way they do with the Champs league or do they still have to play the last qualifying round?

I wonder what the nay sayers would make of Europe if we were suddenly drawn to play Arsenal or Man United........

We could take Man Utd, assuming they actually qualify for Europe....:whistling:

• Like 1