Motherwell Vs Stjarnan Fc

decorator

that polish mob that dundee utd played a couple of season ago had over 2 thousand at tannadice and im sure poznan would have brought even more than that had we got through,its definately a financial fuck up on our part the chance to make a good bit of money from one game doesnt come round very often

would love to hear from some of those guys that thought it was wise to spend £595 on the charter...

I would never criticise or belittle any Well fan for following the team. If anything I admire their dedication.

If that is your attitude you must seriously question why you visit these boards.

Worste thing for me was when Carsy went off injured. McCall pretty much had the chance to redeem himself and use our last sub as Erwin or McCugh (who was scoring against that calibur of team at the end of last season) and go for it. But insted opted to go like for like, nothing against Jack Leitch but pretty much ended up keeping 2 holding midfielders and leaving Sutton isolated. Dont get it.

WTF Have you watched the footage from behind the goal? Shocking goalkeeping

At the time I made that comment no I hadn't, it was just the vine footage I saw and it looked like a worldy in off the bar.

Now I've seen the highlights including the footage you mention it does appear that Dan should have done better. You could also argue he should have saved the pen.

But lets just ignore the several saves he made in both legs to even keen us in the tie shall we.

On another note, I would place the blame for our exit more at the feet our our captain fantastic and the other elder statesmen in the camp rather than anyone else, including the manager. edit to add (and the goalie for that matter)

So we entered extra time looking for a goal with the only attacking players being Sutton & Vigurs, with Keith Lasley playing up front!!! Incredible.

Apart from lack of preparation I see this as being the key reason and McCall has to take the heat..

Maybe criticism after chasing a 3rd goal at Fir Park only to concede the goal that ultimately cost us the tie (in the last minute) led to this tactic.

To be fair to McCall and that is difficult for me to say after Thursday, if after going 2-1 up he threw on Erwin and Thomas and we lost a goal, most on here including myself - would be asking why he did not try to shut up shop. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

But I am a firm believer that fortune favours the brave. At 2-1 we were well on top and should have kept the attacking threat on the pitch.

I also heard that Poznan would have sold enough tickets to sell out the South stand. We could have had a sell out! Not sure about polish TV, but the loss of revenue to the club would have been circa £300k even without any TV revenue. In one stroke it negates the benefit of finishing 2nd. At the time I actually thought finishing 3rd may have been better. We could have had 2 more competitive games in the 1st qualifying round which may have made the difference had we drawn the likes of Stjarnan...

It will take a while for the gloom to liftfacepalm.gif

An opening day win v St Mirren would help.

With the away goals rule, I've always thought that the away team had a significant advantage going into extra time.

We should have been planning for all out attack, even at 2-1, knowing that a 3-3 after 120 mins would have taken us through.

I don't want McCall to go because he's proven at dealing with adversity and also given our recent cost cutting exercises, we'd probably replace him with Leitch. However, he is an honest guy and should be holding his hands up for some costly errors. For all the poor preperation and fitness, we'd still have had enough to limp through if it wasn't for getting the key decisions wrong.

With the away goals rule, I've always thought that the away team had a significant advantage going into extra time.

We should have been planning for all out attack, even at 2-1, knowing that a 3-3 after 120 mins would have taken us through.

I don't want McCall to go because he's proven at dealing with adversity and also given our recent cost cutting exercises, we'd probably replace him with Leitch. However, he is an honest guy and should be holding his hands up for some costly errors. For all the poor preperation and fitness, we'd still have had enough to limp through if it wasn't for getting the key decisions wrong.

At 2-2 we were never going to win on penalties, so yes attack was our best option, but only if you have attackers on the pitch.

As we all know this game threw up a number of questions. One I'd like to add is whether or not we had a representative at the Starnjan V Bangor game as both SM and KB were in Portugal - bad planning in itself.

The occasional Cup cock up is hard to take at the best of times but they happen to us just too frequently and are proving very costly indeed. We've probably now racked up somewhere £1m and £2m in recent years. The club could have used that cash. This warrants some kind of review surely?

The occasional Cup cock up is hard to take at the best of times but they happen to us just too frequently and are proving very costly indeed. We've probably now racked up somewhere £1m and £2m in recent years. The club could have used that cash. This warrants some kind of review surely?

Exactly this, in times of precarious finances cup games = prizes. I calculated that beating Albion Rovers, then Stenhousemuir? (both within our capability)and getting to Ibrox was probably worth £200k+.

Add to that your figures and why not recall not being able to tuck away a team of 10 men in 85 minutes, leaves us looking at a major deficit.

I would never criticise or belittle any Well fan for following the team. If anything I admire their dedication.

If that is your attitude you must seriously question why you visit these boards.

I'm doing neither, I was just just saying that I would like to hear from the guys who paid the money to be there and how they felt about the result.

would love to hear from some of those guys that thought it was wise to spend £595 on the charter...

Glad to fuck I listened to the mrs.

not quite sure why you want a charter travellers perspective, over anyone else

but, It was great trip, this season we even started out with first team players and striking options, hell, we even got goals to celebrate, and I've not noticed anyone commenting on all the other near misses that had us off our feet.

so in both games we had enough chances to easily be into double figures aggregate.

and despite the fact players look healthier than the last couple of summers, it was once again clear that the simply have not been playing together enough to be ready

But, in saying that, imho, the ties were lost by, switching from a sluggish but reasonably well balanced team with attacking options to whatever the fek the setup was after the same double sub in each tie.

it was a horrendous decision last Thursday, to make it again was insanity by definition.

PS Stjarnen in their current form and with the mentality they have, of not surrendering to anyone, would romp any of our lower divisions, hell they probably sneak a top six. edit: actally no but they would take enough points in the SPFL to embarass past teams like Hamilton Falkirk, Dundee etc

but for what is was at stake, we should have been back together and playing matches, long before we were and we would have hit that double figure goal tally

PS. I've no idea what your 'mrs' was saying when you listened , but if she stopped you going on the charter, she's a legend

• Like 2

Started following the well in late seventies,only watched other teams get European football for many yeas until 91'.regularly got pumped in the league and saw a few relegations.remember a season when the first win came at Easter road in March ! And bobby Watson ran to the fans as if we had won the league.I found myself tracking the game on thurs via bet 365 and when it went two one the odds on stjarnan to win went to forty to one feeling very filthy but based on experience thought to myself ...bet they do.as I have lived the well uppity downity all these years.We are motherwell .it will be bumpy . But let's get behind them and move on

was wanting to know if it was still worth going, if they were among some of the people saying the club was a shambles and were of the same view as some one here. Also was wanting to know if it was a good trip apart from the result. She never stopped me going on the trip but when she said £595 just for a game of football... I thought of what else I could do with that.

Edit* This too...

I just hope one or two folk on the charter had enough about them to give McCall and certain players a piece of their mind.