Top Six Split

Brazilian

So with the top six decided the teams will have the following tallies prior to the split:

Celtic fc....... 16 home 17 away Due 3 home 2 away

Aberdeen..... 16 home 17 away Due 3 home 2 away

Motherwell... 16 home 17 away Due 3 home 2 away

Dundee Utd.. 17 home 16 away Due 2 home 3 away

I'ness Caley. 16 home 17 away Due 3 home 2 away

St Johnstone 17 home 16 away Due 2 home 3 away

Only two teams have played 17 home games, so as always due to the split at least one side is going to lose out on a home gate in difficult financial times.

If Motherwell do get 3 home games, then in a sporting sense, we have added challenge of playing one of the opponents at their ground 3 times

Motherwell have played:

Celtic............. A H A due H

Aberdeen...... H A H due A

Dundee Utd.. A H A due H

ICT............... A H A due H

St J'stone..... A H A due H

Whats your preference? who do you fancy home or away.

the Lawell computer will off course deliver a balanced outcome as always

In a season full of missed financial opportunity unfortunately a home draw against Celtic (earlier the better would be preferred) is a necessity.

So ideally Aberdeen, St Johnstone & Dundee Utd for footballing reasons (ICT could be argued as its definitely winnable but Aberdeen is not gonna happen)

For financial, Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd.

And in reality I'd expect Celtic, Dundee Utd and St Johnstone.

Issue for me is when the fixtures are set certain teams are seeded to finish top 6 based on their track record. Carrying on from last season Ross County have fallen away (kinda expected) and Aberdeen have improved significantly (even more expected) so why are we sitting with a skewed top 6 yet again?

Issue for me is when the fixtures are set certain teams are seeded to finish top 6 based on their track record. Carrying on from last season Ross County have fallen away (kinda expected) and Aberdeen have improved significantly (even more expected) so why are we sitting with a skewed top 6 yet again?

I hadn't realised until today that this hadn't been seeded based on last year's finishing places because if they had we not have ended up with Inverness, St Johnstone, Dundee Utd and Celtic all due to come to Fir Park. Given Celtic will have the league won by the split and their fans have chucked it, they should be missing the home game.

Would rather have Celtic away because:

A) They'll almost certainly beat us regardless of venue

B) I don't want them winning the league at Fir Park.

Regarding item A, might as well make some money off them then

Regarding item B, that will be done before the split.

NEW item C Love to clinch second place spot at Pittodire :yahoo:

Regarding item A, might as well make some money off them then

Regarding item B, that will be done before the split.

NEW item C Love to clinch second place spot at Pittodire :yahoo:

Disagree on item A - we'll make more money from a higher league position and we won't have to look at the unwashed hoardes rampaging though our town.

Fair point on B though, and as for C I couldn't agree more.

We need the income another home game v Celtic will bring. The league will be won, so would expect less of their fans to attend, but still 4000 fans would be more than the away crowds for 3 other games put together. Expect to be away to Aberdeen which is fair, but also would expect home game v United who are still likely to be our closest challengers for 3rd. That would mean another away game at ICT or St Johnstone. Would rather St Johnstone e as easier to travel too.

So long as the team with 2 home games that 'looses out' get celtic as one of the home games, then i would think that nobody will loose out overall in income terms.

A game for us vs. celtic is 3 pts dropped so would rather it was away to be honest.. and face Utd and ICT at home to give a slim advantage in what will be a crucial 'six pointers'

I also think that aberdeen should loose out of the home game, as they were most likely the team not expected to be in the top six and cause the imbalance. evilgrin.gif

Aberdeen away on the last day of the season. I'd be up for that!

The fixtures have been announced around the 9/10th April the last two seasons but I'm not sure if it's taken till then for the split to be decided. As it's already decided I really hope they get the finger out and give us as much notice as possible.

I expect a home game for the last game of the season. Otherwise we will have had the 1st and last games of the past two seasons away from home.

IIRC the split was decided at the last possible moment with United scoring an injury time goal to secure their status? No need to wait any later than early next week. Allow fans the opportunity to plan which matches they can and will attend.

Every penny is a prisoner. One of the by products of 18 wins so far is the club having to pay out morew win bonuses than probably anticipated. We NEED a home game v Celtic. We are 7 points ahead of United. They still have to play ICT, Aberdeen and Celtic. 2 of these games v ICT and Aberdeen will work for us whatever the outcome. 2 draws would be just fine.

I expect United to beat Caley, and draw with Aberdeen and Celtic. So 5 points, possibly only 4 would mean that as long as we take similar points from our last 3 games would see us maintain, possibly increase the gap of 7 points on United :thumbup:

Don't think Celtic will bring a big crowd to Fir Park as the league will be wrapped up by then.

I want them at Fir Park because we should be looking to beat them at Fir Park.

We beat a better Celtic team twice last season at Fir Park and we should be looking to do it again this term.

Don't think Celtic will bring a big crowd to Fir Park as the league will be wrapped up by then.

We beat a better Celtic team twice last season at Fir Park and we should be looking to do it again this term.

Agreed, but instead of 6500 they may bring 3-4000. Still more than any other side and probably any 3 other home games combined...

I was assuming they would bring those sort of numbers which would work out about £80k.

I noticed Aberdeen's bumper crowd at the weekend and did think that, with about 4000 more than normal that works out at about 80k extra.

That's the sort of money that would pay for one of our better players for a year - we can't afford to miss out on a Celtic home game.

aberdeen at pittodrie is the only fixture we are due away from home so i think that is guaranteed.

hopefully we will get celtic at home for the money and ICT and st johnstone at fir park which will give us a good chance at getting the points we'll need for europe.

going to tannadice for a third time isn't that big a deal as on the evidence of the last two matches they will gub us anywhere.

What I can't fathom is why some on here after such poor financial results and the hole in our balance sheet from getting pumped out of the cups so early would advocate us playing Celtic away. A distinct naivety of the pressures facing the club and what a difference hosting that game makes is mind boggling.

In the past two seasons, we've lost Rangers and had them replaced with Ross County. Last season we lost Dundee and had them replaced with Partick (now while they bring a decent support they don't the same derby draw that Dundee would do for TV, its not going to be major but it is something). Next year we are facing losing Hearts and gaining Dundee again or Hamilton.

In the course of 3 seasons we've faced the loss of 2 Rangers games a season (6,500 per game), 2 Hearts games a season (1,250) with the addition of Ross County (250) and another team that would do well to bring 500-750.

(15,500 x £20) - (2,000 x £20) = £310,000 - £40,000 = £270k (with ancillary sales and hospitality)

I accept that OF attendances have been falling party due to apathy, party due to lack of competition but the above is still around 5-6% of our annual turnover.

We had a much better team last season.

We all think that or perhaps thought that. If this team finishes 2nd again on more points with more wins against a stronger Aberdeen and United, it may well be time to re-appraise that view.

Certainly we have been more solid than last seasons team, but we are nowhere near the fluid dynamic attacking force we turned into for the last few months of last season

Certainly we have been more solid than last seasons team, but we are nowhere near the fluid dynamic attacking force we turned into for the last few months of last season

we conceded 51 over the course of last season and have already conceded 50 this season.

we are far worse to watch going forward this season and against all odds we have got much worse defensively as well.