Top Six Split

Brazilian

They could wait until after the fixtures were announced if they wanted the broadcasters to mess with the kickoff times at even shorter notice than usual as soon as they'd been announced, but presumably people wouldn't like that either.

Whilst I don't agree with all the behind the scenes machinations that go on, you are correct. Once the fixtures have been drawn up in draft, the Police would still have to be consulted before they were published. That could take a few days. They could then be published. However then the TV companies would then start chopping and changing them and even later changes announced. Its the system thats wrong, not the timing.

To be fair, it's 30 individual games to be scheduled over a 6 - 8 week period. While it might only take an hour to work it out on paper, actually arranging 'major events' with all the relevant bodies simply takes a bit of time.

Total joke it's taking this long considering they've known who's going to be in the bottom and top 6 for a fair bit.

Not all football fans just watch it on the telly, some of us still actually go to the games!!

Be lucky if we have 1 game at a 3pm kick off on a Saturday n'aw.

• Like 1

i would rather see them announce the split fixtures at the start of the season based on league position. The top 4 teams would get 3 home games with 5th and 6th only getting 2 home games.

I would rather see them announce the split is being scrapped at the start of the season and re-introduce a league system based on playing the same number of games home and away.

Total joke it's taking this long considering they've known who's going to be in the bottom and top 6 for a fair bit.

Not all football fans just watch it on the telly, some of us still actually go to the games!!

Be lucky if we have 1 game at a 3pm kick off on a Saturday n'aw.

Totally agree. If it was the FA the fixtures would have been announced a week ago! The SPFL are fairly inept truth be told. So this delay should come as no surprise.

I would imagine that our fixtures v Celtic, Aberdeen and United will be televised. So none will be at 3pm on a Saturday.

I can see our last game being a home tie v Dundee United. The only 3pm KO on a Saturday will likely be Inverness away !!!

I would rather see them announce the split is being scrapped at the start of the season and re-introduce a league system based on playing the same number of games home and away.

This point exactly. The split is a joke when you consider you can end up with team finishing 7th in league having more ppoints than 5th or 6th.

This point exactly. The split is a joke when you consider you can end up with team finishing 7th in league having more ppoints than 5th or 6th.

While there are certainly things I don't like about the split, this one doesn't bother me in the least. You're not comparing like with like, so it's a meaningless comparison. As long as we have the split, sometimes I wish they'd just go the whole hog, treat the post-split as two groups proper with the bottom team in each group starting on zero again (and the teams above retaining their relative points advantages), so people didn't feel the need to point out this "problem" every year.

While there are certainly things I don't like about the split, this one doesn't bother me in the least. You're not comparing like with like, so it's a meaningless comparison. As long as we have the split, sometimes I wish they'd just go the whole hog, treat the post-split as two groups proper with the bottom team in each group starting on zero again (and the teams above retaining their relative points advantages), so people didn't feel the need to point out this "problem" every year.

Better yet - how about every team in the two groups starting with zero. Only chance (albeit remotely) of anyone competing with Celtic for the title. And each year all the other teams agree they will lie down to say Motherwell for example and try like Barstewards against Celtic. So we have 4 wins and then play Celtic. Cloud cuckoo land, but a nice thought..yes.gif

I don't care about that, but I do care that teams like ours are regularly screwed out of home gates, and that the integrity of the league is negatively impacted by teams not having played each other the same amount of total times (or the same amount of times home/away).

This could be partially addressed by reverting to the split of gate money, but the teams like Celtic who want a more competitive league aren't going to ever go back in that direction in case it results in a more competitive league.

Better yet - how about every team in the two groups starting with zero. Only chance (albeit remotely) of anyone competing with Celtic for the title. And each year all the other teams agree they will lie down to say Motherwell for example and try like Barstewards against Celtic. So we have 4 wins and then play Celtic. Cloud cuckoo land, but a nice thought..yes.gif

I think this is one of the worst ideas i've ever heard, why don't we just have a 6 game season and declare the winner then? If this ever happened i'd patch the football entirely.

• Like 1

The biggest gripe is always the discrepancy between the number of home and away games each side has. This article on splstats suggests the most likely team to have 18 home games and 20 away will be Aberdeen as they have benefited most in the past, unlikely to happen imho bearing in mind the media love-in towards them this season.

http://splstats.wordpress.com/2014/03/23/post-split-fixtures-201314/

the teams like Celtic who want a more competitive league aren't going to ever go back in that direction in case it results in a more competitive league.

If Celtic want a more competitive league they could not spend £7,000,000 on three duds per close season (this season - Balde, Pukki, Boerrigter) that have no impact on their league win and which they clearly don't need and split the money evenly among the other teams to the tune of £630,000 each.

Celtic even save on carrying three wasted wages.

Everyone's a winner.

I think this is one of the worst ideas i've ever heard, why don't we just have a 6 game season and declare the winner then? If this ever happened i'd patch the football entirely.

It is how the premier ship rugby down south works. Top 4 go into a play off if I recall.

The reason why you would not have a 5 game season is that you need the 33 games to decide who plays for title and who plays for relegation. It was merely an example of how we would have a chance to win the title. Of course it is a guff idea, but in keeping with previous posts.

At least its not baseball where they play 162 games each before they get to the playoff stage (which is effectively wiping the points off everyone). And even after 162 games the teams haven't still all played each other.

It is how the premier ship rugby down south works. Top 4 go into a play off if I recall.

The reason why you would not have a 5 game season is that you need the 33 games to decide who plays for title and who plays for relegation. It was merely an example of how we would have a chance to win the title. Of course it is a guff idea, but in keeping with previous posts.

I think "re setting" the league is a great idea that gives other teams a chance of winning the league. Which is precidely why it will never happen. I don't see anything wrong with a 14 team league where you play everyone twice. then split into 2 parts and reset the points. So now 2 mini leagues of 7 play each other twice.

everyone gets 38 games with 19 home and 19 away. Resetting gives everyone a new chance to win the league or avoid relegation. Depending on how the first phase is going it may give more latitude for the introduction of youngsters.

Problems now are that the regualr fixture list is unbalanced and it's pot luck who you get to play twice at home and once away and of course, who knows what the hell you will get stuck with post split. Even if you did not reset the points I think the 14 team league splitting into 2x7 is more fair and easier to manage.

• Like 1

I think "re setting" the league is a great idea that gives other teams a chance of winning the league. Which is precidely why it will never happen. I don't see anything wrong with a 14 team league where you play everyone twice. then split into 2 parts and reset the points. So now 2 mini leagues of 7 play each other twice.

everyone gets 38 games with 19 home and 19 away. Resetting gives everyone a new chance to win the league or avoid relegation. Depending on how the first phase is going it may give more latitude for the introduction of youngsters.

Can't say I like the idea of resetting at all. You could easily have a situation where by some teams qualify fairly early for the top half and them simply switch off as there would be no further incentive to do well pre split. Just think of the top 6 this season. Many games, last night's for example, could be meaningless.

I guess the Police and or the TV companies are still working out potential implications for their organisations.

Every day later is a day later that some people have to commit to other business or personal plans. Plus those that are travelling from further afield.

It was Saturday 22nd March when top and bottom 6 was decided. Coming up for 11 days now. Whilst I did not expect the fixtures that Monday/Tuesday to wait this long is a bit of a joke. I also note that there has only been one update. They are amateur to the point of embarrassing, especially given the salaries some of the them are onfacepalm.gif

• Like 1