2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

That would be a sickener. If he's watched recent matches involving Law and Murphy though, he'll know down South is the better option.

Shame Tansey signed an 18 month contract upon his return to Inverness. Impressed last night and McCall clearly still rates him after being snubbed in 2012.

Like Law, Higdon, Randolph, Hateley, Henrik etc. when he goes, he goes and the club will carry on regardless. And if he goes to Sevco, we can make fun of him when we finish above them on their return to the SPFL (or administration -whatever comes first).

• Like 1

We wouldn't be due anything for Hutchinson, he's too old.

St Mirren will be due a fair amount in compensation for McLean.

What is the age limit to getting money for a development fee - I am sure it is players under the age of 24? If that is the case then Hutchy would bag us some cash given we have had him since he was 18 or so

EDIT - In fact, I think it is 23 given the SPFL rules. So looks like we might be scuppered

Compensation

F3 Compensation shall be payable to the former Club of a Player only where the Player

concerned is Registered with his new Club at or before the end of the first Season

in which the Player concerned reaches, will reach or shall have reached the age of

(Source (pg 43) - http://spfl.co.uk/do..._1375800603.pdf)

Now I don't know about SPFL rules but do know that transfers within the same association used the 24 years of age threshold, but transfers between associations was 23. Do you recall the stushie that Northampton and Shrewsbury caused when we took on Coke & Humphrey? Threats of legal action and the like, because they weren't aware of this subtle difference.

If the SPFL has indeed changed the internal threshold to 23 then I'll be surprised and disappointed as the vast majority of its members would be disdavantaged.

Now I don't know about SPFL rules but do know that transfers within the same association used the 24 years of age threshold, but transfers between associations was 23. Do you recall the stushie that Northampton and Shrewsbury caused when we took on Coke & Humphrey? Threats of legal action and the like, because they weren't aware of this subtle difference.

If the SPFL has indeed changed the internal threshold to 23 then I'll be surprised and disappointed as the vast majority of its members would be disdavantaged.

There was also a recent Court of Arbitration decision against Falkirk (Mark Stewart to Bradford) which decided that that the development of a player finishes as soon as he becomes the first team regular. So a 23 year old with no first team experience potentially would command a higher development fee than a 23 year old with 150 first team experiences which started when he was 16.

If Rangers want Hutchinson they will get him unless someone has a better cash offer for the player.

That's just the way it is and we need to deal with that and if I was at Rangers looking for good/cheap players to bring in then I don't see too many other central defenders of that quality with no fee and a wage that is easy to treble. Given that is the case, surely Aberdeen might also think about making an offer since Russell Anderson going to be 36 next season?

I think Hutchinson is a good player but I think he might struggle to find a club at a decent level down south by which I mean a good Championship club or above. For me, although he's a good defender, he hasn't really developed as a player as well as I would have liked. He has good parts to his game but I don't think he's improved noticeably in the bad parts of his game. He still makes the same mistakes you'd put down to 'inexperience' a couple of seasons ago - he has the worst disciplinary record at the club, he gives away too many fouls in dangerous positions, he still charges out of position and misses tackles leaving a gapping hole in defence.

Overall he's good enough up here but would a decent sized club down south want him? Young defenders from the SPL/SPFL haven't exactly prospered down south in recent years - Mark Reynolds, Danny Wilson etc.

I guess we'll find out where he ends up.