2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Absolutely. Going into Europe again with half a team would be galling. It would be amazing to start the season with more or less the same team and really hit the ground running. I like your positivity but I think we'll need to finish 2nd to be able to resign McManus, Faddy and Ainsworth. Even at that, it wouldn't surprise me to see Ainsworth move back down south. That said, we're his 13th club in 8 years and given his success here he might be tempted to aim for some stability in his career.

In all the interviews I have seen/heard Ainsworth give he has been saying how much he is enjoying his football here and how he would like to extend his time at the club.

Given how much McCall likes to play with a pacy winger, I'm hopeful Lionel will take a deal for next season.

I think we'll struggle to keep Ainsworth to be honest. 9 goals so far from a wide position is a phenomenal return and I think he'll have a choice of a few clubs.

If we can keep everyone (bar hutchy who's definitely off) and sign a new goalie I'll be delighted.

He might have a choice of clubs but would he want to go? Hes had numerous clubs already for his age and a bit of stability at a club where he knows he can cut the mustard might be preferential over a slight wage rise in a team he might not fit in to.

I would offer Vigurs an extension right now as insurance as I think he will go on to be a big player for us and he'll probably be another one we lose for nothing.

Yep, agreed.

This is the downfall of the 2 year contract model. To make any return we either need to sell for profit after only a year or extend the contract which is obv a risk too given the financial model we operate.

Maybe a thread all on it's own but I think we sould get McCall on a longer term contract. I know he has some shortcomings but I think he handles players well and his personality helps attract players to fir park. He does handle the media well also. He likes being here and the way the club us run, I'd be hard pressed to think of a manager i would like to replace him with. I think he has way more positive attributes than negative ones and if nothing else having him on a longer term contract either provides stability or a better chance of some decent compensation from any other club that wants him.

Totally agree re McCall. Was speaking to McManus at Lasleys dinner last night and McCall was a major, if not defining, factor in McManus signing for Motherwell I was told.

As an aside McManus had nothing but the highest praise for McCall and Motherwell in general. Ainsworth said the same.

McCall is certainly a factor in why some players have signed for us - seems to have a very good reputation amongst the players in Scotland, however, someone like Big Mick and Faddy, I'm guessing aswell as hyaving McCall as their manager, they also enjoy playing with their "mates". IMO, if one or two go, then we will see a few of them go - but if one or two stay, it could be enough to convince the others to stay

As for McCall - whilst I would like him to sign an extension, the bit I have highlighted will not happen - that was one reason why he stalled over signing the new deal. Motherwell obviously want to protect themselves and be compensated but McCall does not want to be priced out of job. I believe, and this is not 100% fact, that the "release fee" is a set amount rather than the remainder of his contract. He has ambitions too, and I could not and would not blame him for moving on - other than win a cup,(and maybe a goal in europe!) he has done everything else.

It would have been great for McCall to add a Cup win with us to his CV, but he has certainly exceeded all my expectations with his time at the club.

His entire approach to the game has made us an attractive team to watch - of course, with the downside that when it's not working it can be painful. I believe, however, that statistically he is now our most successful postwar manager for the top division.

His other great attribute is his media relations. He always comes across upbeat and enthusiastic, and he continually tries to talk up the Scottish game - both at our club and our opponents.

He has certainly made mistakes (learned from some and not from others) but his successes outweigh those and I would be very happy for him to sign an extension for another year or two.

I remember in McCall's first few weeks I thought he was a clueless buffoon that would drag us into the First Division within a year or two. The man has been a God send, wonder where we'd be had Chris Sutton got the job...

faddy is in the paper saying he wants a new deal.

i don't think he deserves it but we will no doubt give him another year. hopefully the club remember how he messed us around last summer and play hardball over his wages.

Did Faddy shag yer burd in the past? You really dislike him for some reason.

Did Faddy shag yer burd in the past? You really dislike him for some reason.

i just don't rate him as a player any more.

he's too slow and he is finising like franny jeffers these days. he is supposedly the highest paid player at the club on 3 and a half grand a week, he is performing to that level.

i would rather we used the money to get a younger, fitter attacking player in who we might develop for a fee.

I disagree. He may have not started the season particularly well but as we now know he was struggling with a few niggling injuries, 1 of which was misdiagnosed at 1st so took longer to get over than it should have.

I think he's a real asset to the team & would be more than happy to have him on board for next season.

would you keep him on the same money he is on at the moment?

I have no idea what kind of financial package he is on but I can't imagine it's an astronomical amount, so yes, if he's willing to accept the same next season, I would keep him.

faddy is in the paper saying he wants a new deal.

i don't think he deserves it but we will no doubt give him another year. hopefully the club remember how he messed us around last summer and play hardball over his wages.

i just don't rate him as a player any more.

he's too slow and he is finising like franny jeffers these days. he is supposedly the highest paid player at the club on 3 and a half grand a week, he is performing to that level.

i would rather we used the money to get a younger, fitter attacking player in who we might develop for a fee.

tedious pish

1395864300[/url]' post='408164']

I thought (maybe wrong) that Faddys wages comes from a few directors and not the clubs wage budget? If true, and if the directors were prepared to continue funding Faddy, why wouldn't we have him???

Was that not last year?

There's no fucking way he's on £3500 p/w at Motherwell... £1k p/w max! Reason he wouldn't sign before was down to a release clause being or not being there and nothing to do with wage. Seem to remember at the time he was willing to accept anything just be playing again!

The longer he goes without any serious offers from clubs that interest him the more realistic he will have become about his fee. If he wants to stay and we can afford it get him signed.