2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

I echo Melvin's post.

Unfortunately if he'd performed, we'd find the money somehow, simple as that.

I think the hard for him to countenance was it was only a few years ago he was on crazy money (relative to the SPFL) and I no doubt suspect he probably thought he'd still be on a decent salary in 2014 at 31. I suspect McCall offered him something but it wasn't anywhere near acceptable.

However with him moving on we can use that wage to secure 2+ others or a bunch of U20's.

I think this is the first example of McCall giving ultimatums as promised. Difference is last season, McFadden held out and eventually re-signed as it was the best option. Unfortunately the wording of this press release is pretty final, it would have been nice if the door was left open.

I will always look out for and have time for the guy, this club winning means as much to him as it does to all of us, that's evident from his demeanour on and off the park.

Only one thing to add re. Faddy;

Thanks for coming back (when no-one really thought that you would) and giving us some new memories.

Best wishes for your next move.

Totally gutted at Faddys departure as well. I can see the reasons for letting him go but I still feel he could have contributed for us. Fair enough the wages he was probably on outweighed his contribution when he wasnt fit but all you need to see is the fans reaction to him (coming on as a sub against aberdeen for example) completely idolised and with his passion he showed for the club and the international experience he had I think its a no brainer to have resigned him.

As for the 5 striking options, Sutton and Anier I accept, Erwin is completely unproven at this level, moore looks a long term injury (dont think he was going to be much better than Mchugh anyway) and Boab will never be good enough imo

Some players are worth more than there contribution on the pitch and McFadden had to be one of them

Hope he goes to the MLS and tears it apart

notworthy.gif

• Like 1

Would be happy to keep Craig Reid and I think most on here agree.

Strange then that McCall said after the Aberdeen match he had been offered a 2 year deal and here we are over a week later and nada. That plus Reid knew nothing of any contract offer judging by his post match comments.

Wishful thinking on McCalls part ???

Silence is deafening....

I thought McCall was joking when he said that, in response to the fact he had just found out it was Reid that scored the winner.

I think the contract discussions take a wee bit longer.

I reckon a few guys will already have agreed and/or signed contracts for next season about announcements will be staggered to help PR and selling season tickets. Or maybe just to stop this forum going into utter meltdown like it always does if we go a couple of weeks without news.

Totally gutted at Faddys departure as well. I can see the reasons for letting him go but I still feel he could have contributed for us. Fair enough the wages he was probably on outweighed his contribution when he wasnt fit but all you need to see is the fans reaction to him (coming on as a sub against aberdeen for example) completely idolised and with his passion he showed for the club and the international experience he had I think its a no brainer to have resigned him.

As for the 5 striking options, Sutton and Anier I accept, Erwin is completely unproven at this level, moore looks a long term injury (dont think he was going to be much better than Mchugh anyway) and Boab will never be good enough imo

Some players are worth more than there contribution on the pitch and McFadden had to be one of them

notworthy.gif

Aye that is the one part I raised eyebrows at, Sutton and Anier as a front pairing fair enough but then what? McHugh who really struggled when given a chance, pretty anonymous essentially. Moore still pretty raw and currently injured and Erwin who I not even sure if he has a first team appearance, maybe now clear of injury he is about to blast his way into the reckoning but really of the 5 I only have full confidence in 2, cautious hopes for Moore when he is back, not a lot of optimism around Boab and nae idea on Erwin.

Ainsworth if he signs might be in that 5 but he not really a forward in that mould, I'd have been far happier keeping Faddy on reduced terms than letting him go. I certainly hope he tries his luck outside Scotland so he doesn't come back to haunt us. Despite a slightly disappointing contribution this season if he has the hunger I sure he can come back stronger.

I reckon a few guys will already have agreed and/or signed contracts for next season about announcements will be staggered to help PR and selling season tickets. Or maybe just to stop this forum going into utter meltdown like it always does if we go a couple of weeks without news.

Some of the players will be on holiday this week as well of course -- Las for one certainly seems to be, and they'll probably want to wait until they're back to announce anything so they can do interviews for the club website etc. about how delighted they are to have re-signed....

What position does he play - Van Zanten that is?

Not sure about a player that St Mirren have let go. Clancy proved an exception, but would not imagine we will be so lucky all the time...

How many people would have rated a player that Morton let go?

Van Zanten wasn't that bad a player, he was a youth player at Celtic and he's played roughly 200 times in the top league for St. Mirren and Hibs, but he's getting towards the end of his career and will probably be moving down rather than up.

Aye that is the one part I raised eyebrows at, Sutton and Anier as a front pairing fair enough but then what? McHugh who really struggled when given a chance, pretty anonymous essentially. Moore still pretty raw and currently injured and Erwin who I not even sure if he has a first team appearance, maybe now clear of injury he is about to blast his way into the reckoning but really of the 5 I only have full confidence in 2, cautious hopes for Moore when he is back, not a lot of optimism around Boab and nae idea on Erwin.

Ainsworth if he signs might be in that 5 but he not really a forward in that mould, I'd have been far happier keeping Faddy on reduced terms than letting him go. I certainly hope he tries his luck outside Scotland so he doesn't come back to haunt us. Despite a slightly disappointing contribution this season if he has the hunger I sure he can come back stronger.

I have no clue how the discussions went but I would assume that we offered reduced terms but Faddy knocked it back? Certainly a possibility. I would hope we at least did that. I would have been happy with him signingin on again taking up a "regular" wage but I can see where we just couldn't justify another season of additional expense, all be it from outside budget, based on his injuries and performances.

Still, never say never, stranger things have happened........................add your cliche here :rolleyes:

Would be happy to keep Craig Reid and I think most on here agree.

Strange then that McCall said after the Aberdeen match he had been offered a 2 year deal and here we are over a week later and nada. That plus Reid knew nothing of any contract offer judging by his post match comments.

Wishful thinking on McCalls part ???

Silence is deafening....

:lol: get your underwear unfankled.

I echo Melvin's post.

Unfortunately if he'd performed, we'd find the money somehow, simple as that.

I think the hard for him to countenance was it was only a few years ago he was on crazy money (relative to the SPFL) and I no doubt suspect he probably thought he'd still be on a decent salary in 2014 at 31. I suspect McCall offered him something but it wasn't anywhere near acceptable.

However with him moving on we can use that wage to secure 2+ others or a bunch of U20's.

I think this is the first example of McCall giving ultimatums as promised. Difference is last season, McFadden held out and eventually re-signed as it was the best option. Unfortunately the wording of this press release is pretty final, it would have been nice if the door was left open.

I will always look out for and have time for the guy, this club winning means as much to him as it does to all of us, that's evident from his demeanour on and off the park.

Can't argue with this. As much as he is (and always will be) a Motherwell legend, I'm afraid we didn't get enough of the "old" Faddy to justify another high wage contract.

My only concern is how it may affect the dressing room.

:lol: get your underwear unfankled.

Perfectly entitled to get my underwear fankled :evilgrin:

Not much more too it other than McCall did say in his post match interview that Reid had been offered a 2 year deal. This was not said in jest. Lasley joked about a 5 yr contract in his post match interview.

Glad McManus re-signed and surprised that Faddy is off. The rest we shall wait and see

I'm really hoping we offered Faddy something and he knocked it back. Would be gutted if we just told him to beat it, you never know he might have played for hee haw! At least on a rolling basis or something.

You never know, he might not get anything and continue to train with us like he has done before.

notworthy.gif

I think one of the reasons for originally signing McFadden was the hope that he would increase attendances enough to cover his extra wages but this didn't happen so paying him more than anybody else was just not sustainable. At the end of the day for clubs like Motherwell its all about money and staying within budget.