2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

For those wanting O'Brien back, in the last interview of his I saw on telly he said that it was McCourt that was keeping him out of the team.

Can McCourt play right back in a European game though?

#gannonball

Don't know enough about McCourt to pick either way but for me it's not about how long you can play it's about how much you contrubute or can affect the result while you are on the park. You need to prevent goals against us or make/score goals for us. Not point in being able to run around for 90 mins if you are not having an effect on the outcome of the game. if you can play for 30 mins a game and make/score goals, I would take a player like that if he fits in our budgeted salary structure.

I have no idea if McCourt could deliver the goods on a consistent basis to warrant signing him but in general if we could get a player to perform for 30 mins and contribute significantly in those 30 minutes I'd take that player.

Great news on hammy!

JOB was our best player at the time of leaving, convinced he would would be a massive signing for us. I realise he divided opinion but to be fair it was a process of gradual improvement as he arrived very raw. He now has 121 championship appearances and at 27 is pretty much in his prime.

A £1 contract wouldn't be the cheap option over letting someone go.

O'Brien's on this third contract at Barnsley. McCourt lasted one season.

As was said, due to money and the fact he signed a one year deal originally with Barnsley. They didn't let him go because he was shite, they let him go because his contract was up and he was looking for more money I think.

Which probably puts him out of our scope anyway, so it's not really worth discussing much further. I just said that it would be nice having someone who gets the fans out their seats playing for us.

As said though, he's a luxury we can't afford.

A £1 contract wouldn't be the cheap option over letting someone go.

I don't even understand that sentence, never mind argue against it.

If O'Brien was willing to take a wage cut due to relegation and McCourt was not, then you offer O'Brien a reduced wage contract and punt McCourt. Relative talent is irrelevant.

Delighted to see Hammell sign up for a further two years.

I'd welcome the return of Jim O'Brien. Him and Ainsworth down the wings would be quite a prospect.

Focus however has to be bringing in a couple of players that have plenty of scope to be developed and sold on.

Glad to see Hammy re signing as he has been very consistent for us all season, and was outstanding at Aberdeen when left at he back with one other. We are starting to build a squad again.

Paddy McCourt would be a revelation in a Motherwell jersey, don't understand the negative chimes. His problem is his core fitness, Celtic wanted McCourt fitter and when they tried any kind of regime he'd break down. I reckon McCall could get more out of him.

Happy that Hammy has signed on though

Paddy McCourt would be a revelation in a Motherwell jersey, don't understand the negative chimes. His problem is his core fitness, Celtic wanted McCourt fitter and when they tried any kind of regime he'd break down. I reckon McCall could get more out of him.

Happy that Hammy has signed on though

Tbh I don't. Fitness isn't ours or McCalls strong point which I think is blatant to see. IMO we are one of the poorer teams for fitness in the league.

Getting more out of him on a man management basis maybe yes but there is no way on earth we can make him fitter.

Hasselbaink released by St Johnstone. Anybody?

Had a wee purple patch at the start of the season for the Saints, but since then has drifted out the team. Decent wee player, but I would rather we tied up Ainsworth as he is a far better player.

As for McCourt. Fucking plays like George Best - most balanced footballer I have seen in years. Not sure we could afford him.