2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Not sure about who wanted him but he was punted due to his billy big time attitude,apparently Thompson was far from impressed and McNamara didnt play him due to it

Again, very much the impression I got. Expected to be 'the man', and ended up bench warming, mainly.

I would be surprised if McCall is even considering Goodwillie or Boyd. Boyd like McFadden has sentimental ties with his old club which is probably one of the reasons he ended up at Killie last season. Hopefully we can get another striker in soon, if not we will need to show faith in our youth players. McCall rarely gets it wrong and what ever he chooses will hopefully be good enough to see us through.thumbup.gif

I would be surprised if McColl is even considering Goodwillie or Boyd. Boyd like McFadden has sentimental ties with his old club which is probably one of the reasons he ended up at Killie last season. Hopefully we can get another striker in soon, if not we will need to show faith in our youth players. McColl rarely gets it wrong and what ever he chooses will hopefully be good enough to see us through.thumbup.gif

I hope that was autocorrect :doh:

But aye, it's a shame Moore is injured or he could have been staking his claim. Will be interesting to see who ends up replacing Anier, though.

I hear talk that Dean Shiels is one of the players we're looking at to replace Anier...

Is it April 1st..?? ohmy.gif I would rather play a 50 year old ex pro who has had a hip replacement than Shiels he has been piss poor in the lower leagues despite the low number of games.

I hear talk that Dean Shiels is one of the players we're looking at to replace Anier...

IIRC, a while back you mentioned that we were looking for an attacker to link up the play. At the time, Shiels was the first name to come into my head.

Rangers are seemingly looking to offload him. Prior to him opting for the 3rd division I'd have been pleased to see him at Fir Park but not so sure now.

He would probably do us a turn, but the question is whether he would be worth the not-insignificant wage outlay over someone like Erwin, or Moore. To be honest I've not seen enough of those two to really judge them. Shiels has always struck me as a fairly busy, industrious player, certainly in the Ojamaa mould.

Whether or not he still 'has it' after a couple of seasons playing at that level (and hardly setting the heather alight) remains to be seen...

If a professional football player can't dreg up enough motivation to play against part time teams on a weekly basis on bloody decent wages then thats all the information I need to know on his 'professionalism'. We have enough cash flow problems without wasting wages on someone who can't be arsed doing his well paid job.

Speaking to a few Rangers fans, Shiels seems to play well but McCoist doesn't pick him as often as some of the fans would like.

"Didn't get a fair crack" is a common phrase used...

Maybe so but you would feel that the player should be trying to make a point when he does play. If he tries to do his best and make an impact especially against part timers when he does play then it would be extremely difficult for the Sevco 'Manager' (pleasantry.gif) to leave him out. Mind you I have no idea how someone so obviously useless as a manager still has a job.

IIRC Shiels and his agent had a meeting with McCosit due to his lack of appearances

he was injured for some time, so didnt play - when he was fit, McCoist didnt put him in the team because they were winning - why change a winning team? then they had the above mentioned meeting, he came in and scored a few goals

i'd take him - think he is what we are looking for, got a bit of trickery, can socre some goals, but his best asset is creating them - exactly what big Sutty needs. As long as it aint bank bursting wages, he'll get his game time with us and i'd happily see the Killie Dean Shiels (who was nominated for POTY) play in a Well strip

Maybe so but you would feel that the player should be trying to make a point when he does play. If he tries to do his best and make an impact especially against part timers when he does play then it would be extremely difficult for the Sevco 'Manager' (pleasantry.gif) to leave him out. Mind you I have no idea how someone so obviously useless as a manager still has a job.

When you don't need to be at your best to beat teams and win games, your level drops. That is why it was a terrible move for guys like him and Law from a development perspective. And, as the old saying goes, if you're not improving then you're going backwards.

You develop by pitting your skills against players at a level as good as, or better than, yourself.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if we landed Shiels given that he is at that stage of his career where he will want (another) nice payday. But I'd be willing to give him a chance if we did sign him. McCall has done sufficiently well in the transfer market to earn my trust.

One thing is sure, we need another attacking option. Right now we have Sutton, Erwin (untested), McHugh (not rated by many) and Ainsworth (a winger). That's putting a lot of pressure on Sutton and Ainsworth to repeat their return from last season. We need to somehow replace Anier and McFadden's goals and assists from last season.

I also heard yesterday that McCall had a centre back in mind to replace Hutchinson. To me, this doesn't seem a priority unless Ramsden is further away from a return than first thought...