2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

I have been to a number of Swindon games over the years (I have friends down there and go with them while I am visiting) and Motherwell would beat Swindon 4 times out of 5. No disrespect to Swindon. Their crowds are around the 6-7k mark, so based on money from that and the general money that is available down there then you would think they would be better.

With the previous argument, the next post summed it up. Higdon to recently promoted Chesterfield. We can't stretch to a salary that they can offer.

And it really depends on which Swindon team you're talking about. Danny Wilson took them close to promotion, PdC's team in L2 were outstanding, as they were the first year back in L1. The only team I'd see doing better in L1 would be Mark McGhee's team.

"es they have bigger crowds and budgets but I wouldn't say any of those teams are bigger than Dundee Utd, the OF or Aberdeen and the top 5/6 in Scotland would all get promoted or at least be around the playoffs in that division."

This is just a bit stupid, isn't it. The OF skews it a bit, but take the top two of L1 out and you have much bigger teams, bigger stadiums, infrastructure, attendances and money than those left in the SPL.

I realise that staff need to be free to move if they like and that this might be a very sensible, practical and lucrative move for John Porteus who I wish all the very best.

But.

By fuck are we not the nice guys of Scottish Fitba? While I realise part of our appeal is that we're not difficult to deal with when it's time to move on. Dempster should have been told straight when she left - 'fucking hands off' - 'go do your thing but don't deplete us when you go'. A wee greet at Pittodrie about a great well family achievement as she leaves - then a matter of weeks later back for the key staff. Fuckin bolt!

I'd like to have seen - "we wish John Porteous all the best, but we are extremely disappointed that our ex chief exec is coming back for our staff" get the fuckin message out there. 'beat it doll!'

If a Motherwell player gets a better offer he moves on. Staff are no different. Playing hard ball in the end is self defeating, especially in a small industry where everyone knows everyone else like Scottish football.

They come and go and the club goes on.

McCall has mined the Bradford connection pretty hard since he came to us, you can't stop other people doing the same thing.

With the previous argument, the next post summed it up. Higdon to recently promoted Chesterfield. We can't stretch to a salary that they can offer.

And it really depends on which Swindon team you're talking about.....

Been going for around 10 years now, so I have seen a number of line ups. Granted it's maybe only 2-3 games a year.

If a Motherwell player gets a better offer he moves on. Staff are no different. Playing hard ball in the end is self defeating, especially in a small industry where everyone knows everyone else like Scottish football.

They come and go and the club goes on.

McCall has mined the Bradford connection pretty hard since he came to us, you can't stop other people doing the same thing.

Really, what percentage of his signings came directly from Bradford?

I can only think of Ramsden coming directly from Bradford though.

Comparison is dempster coming directly to motherwell after leaving.

Jones, Law etc were all elsewhere when he signed them were they not?

Aye they were, Omar Daley came directly as well.

Don't let your hatred of Leann distance yourself from the fact that most of us would take a job closer to home for more money. I know when I changed jobs that closeness to home played a big part.

• Like 1

Sheffield United no bigger than Dundee United? Surely you jest?

Depends how you define bigger I suppose but Utd have been to the later rounds in Europe and won trophies, don't remember Sheff Utd doing that.I'd say Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are a similar size to Leeds.We're comparable with Blackpool, Bournemouth or somebody like that.

In terms of quality, attendance, budgets and the general size of clubs (Sheff Utd, Cov, Wolves, Bradford etc), yes it is.

In terms of attendance, budget and size of clubs you're correct. However in terms of quality you're not. Teams like Carlisle, Stevenage and Shrewsbury would not compete on the park with ourselves, Celtic, Aberdeen or Dundee United.

In terms of attendance, budget and size of clubs you're correct. However in terms of quality you're not. Teams like Carlisle, Stevenage and Shrewsbury would not compete on the park with ourselves, Celtic, Aberdeen or Dundee United.

Teams like Wolves, Sheffield United and Bristol City would most certainly compete on the park with St. Mirren, Partick Thistle and Kilmarnock.

I can do selective examples aswell. Y0U6mou.gifY0U6mou.gifY0U6mou.gif

Seriously all these pages about our Physio???

Don't get me wrong the guy has been a great servant to the club and a lot of players have commented on how good he is while they are rehabilitating but he's the Physio. We have a replacement already in place.

Extra pay, less mileage to get to work and no prospect of European travel appeals to a guy his age :whistling:

just like leanne, thanks for all you have done for the club John but we will move on.

Really, what percentage of his signings came directly from Bradford?

It doesn't really matter if they came directly from Bradford or not. He uses his connections in the game to recruit players he knows will do a good job for him. Same as Leann Dempster has done with Porteous.

Maybe you'd prefer we conduct our business by drawing up a list of clubs or professionals we can't approach on the moral grounds that it would be unfair or unsporting to use personnel connections within the game.

Perhaps when we next appoint a new manager or any other member of staff for the matter, we tell them that using connections within the football sphere is strictly prohibited and won't be tolerated at Motherwell FC.

No, didn't think so.

;)

Teams like Wolves, Sheffield United and Bristol City would most certainly compete on the park with St. Mirren, Partick Thistle and Kilmarnock.

I can do selective examples aswell. Y0U6mou.gifY0U6mou.gifY0U6mou.gif

You did so in your first post. ;)

There are exceptions of course the top end of the English first division is probably better than the bottom end of the SPFL but the reverse is also true. Teams like Wolves are in that league for a reason. On the whole, I still think that the SPFL would stand a fair comparison.