2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Scottish clubs, more so us now are too busy moaning about being skint, when we should be appealing to guys in the situation Ruddy and Randolph were and saying look, we have a track record of helping players move on to bigger and better things. Only catch is that you will have to play for less money until such time we can move you on. Worked right, we can have good quality players at a cheap price playing out there skins to get back on the decent money again.Hey we might even get lucky and find ourselves repeating what we done with ojamaa and anier and making a transfer fee out it.

How about we develop our own? When was the last goalie we had that came through our ranks? Maxwell? And I can't even mind now if he was one of ours or not

It's rare for any club to bring a keeper all the way through the ranks. Almost impossible for an 18 or 19 year old to usurp an experienced keeper and you can't bring them on for 15 mins at the end of a game. As a result, the youngsters almost inevitably move on.

The only keeper I can recall from personal memory who came through the ranks was Richard Wright. He was 17 when he got his first game in the senior squad and made the grade as a youngster. When I lived down south I used to go to the Ipswich games quite regularly, and he was phenomenal.

After he moved on from Ipswich he seemed to lose his confidence and a few clangers along the way hurt his reputation. No idea if that has anything to do with his young age, but it was a shame his early promise didn't quite materialize.

Not that he has had a terrible career, but it originally looked like he would be a superstar - he really did have that much talent.

Craig Gordon and Allan McGregor both came through their respective youth systems into the first team... although McGregor had a few loan spells.

It is quite rare to see a keeper come in and make a debut at a young age and keep his place in the top league - they usually need to establish themselves at a lower league club.

I think Iker Cassillas and Victor Valdes both came through the youth system as well at their clubs.

Tex - was Keith not a striker (pre-keeper)?

I seen him play for us as keeper and as right back. He was very young when he played his first game for us. I am thinking about 17 or 18. Altohugh I could be mistaken as it was a long time ago. I think we signed him straight from school Lanark Grammar.

There hasn't really been much going on in the transfer world for us this close season on the face of it.

I'm hoping we are waiting to see how we do in Europe ie getting through this round which could pull in £100k or so. I'm hoping we have names, we've had discussions and we are waiting on a few things.

Other teams have made some signings which looked to be good (although I have little to base this on) such as Dundee Utd, there squad is shaping up nicely. We're sort of looking a bit static at the moment.

There hasn't really been much going on in the transfer world for us this close

season on the face of it.

I'm hoping we are waiting to see how we do in Europe ie getting through this round which could pull in £100k or so. I'm hoping we have names, we've had discussions and we are waiting on a few things.

Other teams have made some signings which looked to be good (although I have little to base this on) such as Dundee Utd, there squad is shaping up nicely. We're sort of looking a bit static at the moment.

Would agree wih this.

Squad is extremely thin and a replacement for Anier/McFadden is an absolute must. Don't have John Porteous anymore either and his ability to keep players available to play can't be underestimated.

The players Utd have signed look the business, but that's the leverage you have when you can shift an 18 year old for £3 million quid! Even Dundee have signed (on paper) a few decent sounding sorts.

We are aboslutely skint we have to remember.

There hasn't really been much going on in the transfer world for us this close season on the face of it.

We are definitely falling behind our rivals in terms of bringing in new players. You need to keep the squad fresh and bring in new players and perhaps it wasn't a coincidence that one of the few players that really shone against Stjarnan was Josh Law.

I think you still have to ask why when our turn over is probably higher than ever we are, not only not making any money, but generating large losses.

I will say again though that Dundee Utd have brought in another 3 young players from the lower divisions - Callum Morris, Blair Spittal and Charlie Telfer to complement guys they have already brought in through that route like Gary Mackay-Steven, Andrew Robertson.

Looking ahead you wouldn't be surprised if Dundee Utd made millions of pounds off these players (Robertson alone is likely to fetch that sort of price) and yet we don't seem to look at this market at all.

I think you still have to ask why when our turn over is probably higher than ever we are, not only not making any money, but generating large losses.

To be fair, the Board has been very open about this and regularly updates the fans on the reasons for our losses (from lack of league sponsorship, to changes in prize money to having no Rangers in the top flight etc.). The reason we know of the large losses is because of that transparency.

Looking ahead you wouldn't be surprised if Dundee Utd made millions of pounds off these players (Robertson alone is likely to fetch that sort of price) and yet we don't seem to look at this market at all.

Utd. spend a comparatively huge amount of money on young players on long contracts that we can't afford. However, when they have the chance to sell one on, most of the fee goes to pay off the millions in debt they still owe. While they had fans that paid off their bank debt, the debt wasn't cleared - just moved to more favourable terms. From memory, they had close to 4 million taken over by benefactors - an amount that would have put us back in administration.

Plus, of course, for all the great young players they are bringing through, we still manage to stay ahead of them in terms of league position.

I assume Utd. have had to pay these lower division clubs for their young players. It's a risky strategy which seems to be working for them but a few development fees for players who don't make the grade would quickly eat into our resources.

I assume Utd. have had to pay these lower division clubs for their young players. It's a risky strategy which seems to be working for them but a few development fees for players who don't make the grade would quickly eat into our resources.

Raped & pillaged I think the chairman of the erm, amateurs will describe it...

Er no. They've signed a few players from Queens Park and refused to hand over any development fees. As you all know Queens are amateurs and as such not legally entitled to any fee. However I think almost every club that has dealt with them has a gentleman's agreement to pay them what they would be due. United sign these young lads on big money & long contracts and the rest is history.

Er no. They've signed a few players from Queens Park and refused to hand over any development fees. As you all know Queens are amateurs and as such not legally entitled to any fee. However I think almost every club that has dealt with them has a gentleman's agreement to pay them what they would be due. United sign these young lads on big money & long contracts and the rest is history.

A business who don't pay their employees don't deserve compensation when they move on to a better job imo.