2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Yes, the focus off the park for Baraclough and the Board from now until the summer, is to identify and sign players on pre-contracts. Primarily players that have the quality and desire to use Motherwell as a steeping stone and earn us a few quid.

As Steelboy stays, hopefully we've learned our lesson from dishing out so many wasteful contracts in 2013. If we manage to get 1 or 2 of the deadwood off the books during January then it is a bonus. And I think we will as surely some of these players want to be playing on a regular basis.

For those that remain, they'll need to up their game and put in some sort of performance to get a contract at Motherwell or elsewhere in the summer. That should benefit us in the short-term.

If we are genuinely interested in anyone from Ireland, there's probably a fair chance they'll come over in January as they're mostly unattached.

apparently there is a player in our squad, who has very rarely featured, who is paid more on a weekly basis than his free scoring highland counterpart

i was utterly astonished when i heard this - fair play to the player for getting such a contract, but someone at Motherwell mustve been on a crack offering those terms

Anyone wanting rid of Twardzik really needs to reevaluate their expectations.

Agree. I think we've been blessed with some great goalies in Ruddy and Randolph so it's only natural for people to compare Dan with them. He's not in their class , but is a decent goalie IMO. Doesn't stop us looking for some competition for the jersey though !

apparently there is a player in our squad, who has very rarely featured, who is paid more on a weekly basis than his free scoring highland counterpart

i was utterly astonished when i heard this - fair play to the player for getting such a contract, but someone at Motherwell mustve been on a crack offering those terms

I'm astonished that players go around telling everyone how much they make.

Agree. I think we've been blessed with some great goalies in Ruddy and Randolph so it's only natural for people to compare Dan with them. He's not in their class , but is a decent goalie IMO. Doesn't stop us looking for some competition for the jersey though !

Definitely, I think we could say with confidence that, in Darren Randolph, we had one of the top two goalies in the country. On our budget it was incredibly unlikely that we would replace him with someone of a similar quality, but Twardzik is better than most at this level.

Hopefull of Ojamma staying O'Brian can leave. We do need a keeper. The crap/unfit/uninterested players will be here till April in which i can see a lot leaving. We just have to hope that our new manager can keep us out the danger zone till then.

I stand corrected Lobey, I was sure it was only a years contract but you are right it is 2 years.

Think Dan has saved us from a hiding on a few occasions so I can't understand why he gets so much stick to be honest. There may have been a couple of mistakes early on but when you look back over the last month or two he has improved a lot.

• Like 1

£250,000 to clear out deadwood that can be cleared out in 6months time anyway?? Even if we had that cash (which we don't), what purpose, gain or advantage would it give us. I'm astonished that anybody who knows anything about Motherwell, our finances and our new 'owners' thinks that we will be giving anybody a golden handshake to fuck off.

Also we only have a 24 man squad as it is, with something like 15 out of contract players. Even if we paid a quarter of them off that would cost a fair bit of money and we'd have to bring in replacements which would be a further cost.

In an ideal world I don't think many of us would disagree with the names Kmac proposes to get rid of and the positions we need to fill. That said, as others have, I can't see any funds being made available to pay off contracts.

So, for me that leaves us with the following areas to consider:

Reducing wages: The club need to work at getting McHugh, Cummins and maybe a couple of youth players who aren't near the first 11 out on loan for the rest of season with wages being paid by the other club. Easier said than done but that would then free us up wages to do with what we need. Maybe get 1 first team player in in a deal.

Current Loans: I would try and extend Ojamma for the the obvious reasons. I do like O'Brien actually but if letting him go back does free up wages then it has to happen. I am confident Ramsden, Kerr or Reid can do a job in there pretty much to the same level.

Review current 1st team players out of the team - ZFA, Lawson, Vigurs, Carswell. Does Barraclough think they can do enough in the second half of the season to negate using extra wage budget on those positions? What is their injury prognosis? I think when fit they all can be good enough to move us up the table with the team as either starters or squad players.

So, for me, taking into account all the above and assuming we can move players out on loan to free wages for 1 player I would say we focus on getting a left winger or creative pacey centre mid. The rest are good enough to take us up the table.

1420041342[/url]' post='427839']

So, for me, taking into account all the above and assuming we can move players out on loan to free wages for 1 player I would say we focus on getting a left winger or creative pacey centre mid. The rest are good enough to take us up the table.

Do we have the energy to resurrect the re-sign Pearson debate.

Current Loans: I would try and extend Ojamma for the the obvious reasons. I do like O'Brien actually but if letting him go back does free up wages then it has to happen. I am confident Ramsden, Kerr or Reid can do a job in there pretty much to the same level.

Cummins is just back from Ayr Utd is he not? If Ojamaa can only play for us or Legia then surely the same applies to Cummins, he can only play for Ayr Utd or Motherwell.

I don't think O'Brien is earth shattering by any means but unlike you I don't have confidence in Ramsden, Kerr or Reid to play at centre back.

I would bring O'Brien back.

Twardzik is no better than buzz was, but regardless he will be here till his contract runs out, and so will any other member of our squad so, anyone expecting major changes in January will be sorely dissapointed. As someone said above, its not football manager. Lets drag ourselves thru the rest of this season and look at 'some' changes in the summer, coz even then, I wouldn't imagine any drastic changes, just out of contract players leaving/signing and maybe a loan or two either way.

• Like 1

Just stick with what we've got until the end of the season and then build from there, hopefully we can keep Ojamaa though.

Let Baraclough asses the players at his disposal and get rid of the deadwood and the one's he doesn't rate. Hopefully we can quickly drag ourselves away from the danger zone and start to phase out the players that will be moving on and give increased game time to the more talented youngsters like Erwin, Thomas, Cadden, Moore, Leitch(when fit again) etc. with the view to having them as first team regulars next season should they sufficiently impress.

Then in the summer hopefully Baraclough can use his contacts to add a few quality players in key areas to supplement the younger lads and the experienced pro's still under contract for next season.