2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Having heard several horror stories from Airdrie mates and with his impact as Airdrie manager there for all to see I wasn't overly pleased when Black was announced as McCall's number two.

It puzzled me then and still does puzzle where the connection came from. There was no obvious crossing of paths during their careers and other than both having Yorkshire links I couldn't fathom why McCall went for Black.

However I think you would have to say over the piece it was a very successful appointment for both parties. Black leaves with his reputation considerably enhanced from when he first walked into Fir Park as McCall's number two and he played his part in one of our finest periods in years and seems to have been generally well liked and respected by many of the guys who worked under them both.

Appreciate his years of service and wish him good luck in the future.

• Like 1

Snippet from skysports website.

Motherwell assistant manager Kenny Black has left the club by mutual consent.

Black joined Motherwell as Stuart McCall's assistant four years ago and was part of the club's most successful period on the pitch which included a Scottish Cup final in 2011.

Motherwell manager Ian Baraclough told the club's website: "I can have no complaints about Kenny's professionalism or work since my arrival late last year.

"However, I felt it would be a good time to change things and that a freshness and something different in that role might help us.

"The club is heading in an exciting new direction both on and off the park and we'll make further announcements in due course."

Black added: "I understand how football works and accept today's decision.

"The manager spoke with me earlier this afternoon and everything was and is amicable.

"I want to thank Motherwell FC for the four great years we've had together and wish them and the people at Fir Park every success."

I hope he took Marshall with him

Was there not a rumour when baraclough took over that black would be replaced as no.2 by an ex-manager who is seemingly good friends with bara and would be popular with the crowd. I'm at work and on my phone so I can't be bothered trawling for the post but I'm sure I read it, or I dreamt it!

I read it on here a while back. Definitely happened.

Gary Stevens always reminded me of former Radio One DJ Gary Davies for some reason, and,as such, I always thought of him as a bit of a wanker. This is completely irrational and I will sincerely try and get over it if he does join the coaching staff.

Sadly old enough to remember Gary Davies..........and you are right both had similar mullet style hair cuts :whistling:

Vinnie Jones took a liberty and took Stevens out when he was getting up from a challenge from John Fashanu and then told him to get up and stop "squealing".........think it did his knee ligaments in from which he never really recovered......he retired a couple of years later

Not sure if its already been mentioned elsewhere, from the BBC Gossip page: -

Motherwell have replaced Bobby Jenks with Gary Owens as chief scout and the 46-year-old will be based in England as the Premiership strugglers try to uncover more talent from the lower leagues south of the border.

Bobby Jenks has been with us a long, long time. I hope he's been treated properly.

He may not have been willing or able to cover the area and games that Baraclough is looking for. Or he just wants his own man.

I am sure he has been treated properley. I wouldn't expect anything else from the club.

My understanding is he combines the scouting role with youth/community coaching for the club? So assume he now focuses on the latter.

The appointment referred to talked of a chief scout it didn't suggest he was the only scout.

Not a leap to assume that if the personnel undertaking the tasks are being reviewed then the processes such as age groups, locations and player abilities and characteristics will be reviewed also.

Hamilton should have the pick of the locals. As my mate Matty said to me that if anyone has a son of age and teams are looking at them, the way hamilton are running things, that's where you wanna go.

I wouldn't argue with that but does anyone know why Hamilton are so attractive to youngsters? Is it because they have top notch coaches? Is their academy excellent in terms of facilities - pithces/changing rooms etc What about generous cash payments? Are kids enthralled by the dream of making their first team, which most won't, and earning a big money move?

I wouldn't argue with that but does anyone know why Hamilton are so attractive to youngsters? Is it because they have top notch coaches? Is their academy excellent in terms of facilities - pithces/changing rooms etc What about generous cash payments? Are kids enthralled by the dream of making their first team, which most won't, and earning a big money move?

The kids train at NDP itself i believe. Certainly see them on it most evenings