2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

So could we be set for a new version of Skippy Sunday.

Which would we prefer....

St Mirren at home last day of season 1-0 down 10 mins to relegation

or

Rangers second leg of play-off 1-0 down with 10 mins to relegation

Delighted with this, but not sure where we'd play him; Barraclough seems to favour a 4-2-3-1 formation with 2 holding midfielders and 1 up top. Really hope he ditches that and just goes for a straight 4-4-2 with Skippy & Sutton up front, and Pearson & Lasley in the middle.,,

...and Straker not even on the bench!

Think he plays deeper than his earlier days, so well equipped to play behind the striker in a 4231 (we have no one who can do this effectively at the moment), or as you say in a straight 442. Given our general shakiness I think there will be a reluctance to risk 442 at the moment.

So could we be set for a new version of Skippy Sunday.

Which would we prefer....

St Mirren at home last day of season 1-0 down 10 mins to relegation

or

Rangers second leg of play-off 1-0 down with 10 mins to relegation

Must be close to 10 years to the day if it transpired.

Anyway, for my mental wellbeing, the former.

For absolute hilarity, the latter. It would be like winning a cup.

SCOTT McDONALD has confirmed he is on his way back to Motherwell.

Record Sport revealed this morning that the former Celtic striker is poised to sign a short term deal with his breakthrough club after negotiating his release from Millwall before the end of the January transfer window.

It is anticipated that McDonald could be officially unveiled at a Fir Park press conference later in what is a huge throw of the dice by the relegation threatened outfit.

And as he made his way north at breakfast time McDonald spoke exclusively to Record Sport to confirm: "Yes, I am delighted to say that I'm on my way home.

"It's been six years since I left Celtic and to be honest I have missed so many things about life in Scotland. Motherwell was where it all started for me early in my career so I have a huge amount of affection for the club. It just feels like the right time for me to go back.

"The team is in a difficult situation at this present moment and my job for the next 12 weeks is to do everything I can to help get them out of trouble. I can't wait to get started."

1424951667[/url]' post='433844']

There was a time when I never thought I'd be delighted to see this wee prick return to Fir Park, but if he signs for us until the end of the season I WILL be delighted. He left under a cloud and on his return with Celtic reacted to the goading from the Well fans by kissing his manky Cellic badge in front of the East Stand.

That will all be forgotten about though if he manages to score the goals that keep us in the top flight. Hell, our situation is that desperate that I'd welcome Neil Lennon with open arms if I though he could save us.

Two issues though;

1...is he fit?

2...who will make the chances for him to score? With the best will in the World, Sutton has been shite, but he has had no service, what will be different for Skippy?

Anyway, if it goes through it's got to be a positive.

Welcome Back Scott.

I will also be more than happy to eat humble pie if he helps keep us up.

Also reckon Pearson is more key but McDonald has a wealth of experience and ability to put the ball away, a tremendous signing if it comes off.

He has the ability to score goals and it is something we need badly.

2...who will make the chances for him to score? With the best will in the World, Sutton has been shite, but he has had no service, what will be different for Skippy?

that's the big thing for me - who is going to create the chances for him? Sutty CAN and will score goals if you create chances for him. Higdon wouldn't score goals in this team either - its all about the other players playing to his strengths.

I'm delighted if Skippy signs on for us - but Barra must adapt the way we play to get the best out of the guys who can put the ball in the back of the net - that is the only thing that matters now

Question (someone's mentioned this already): he's listed as an attacking midfielder on Wikipedia.

Why can't Skippy be the one that creates goals for Sutton, playing just in behind him?

Skippy isnt an attacking midfielder. He would be wasted there, he is a poacher type player and would be wasted behind the striker IMO.

Not sure how I feel about this until I see him play, to be honest. Don't doubt he's still a capable player, but needs to be deployed correctly, and hope he doesn't feel he has to try and win games on his own the way that Faddy often did on his return.

• Like 1

Skippy isnt an attacking midfielder. He would be wasted there, he is a poacher type player and would be wasted behind the striker IMO.

When I went to the den earlier this season he was playing an attacking center mid role, commanded the attack and set up a lot of chances, looked in great shape too

that's the big thing for me - who is going to create the chances for him? Sutty CAN and will score goals if you create chances for him.

Hopefully this means we have two up front now. Old fashioned 4-4-2 till the end of the season, no more fucking about playing players in weird positions.

That way everyone knows what they are doing which hasn't looked the case the last few weeks.

Get some tackles in, press them, get to the bylines, play direct, basic stuff, none of this 'I'm a Tactical Genuis' bullshit.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a great signing?

He's capable of making his own chances if he gets the ball around the box and any SPFL team other than Celtic would be happy to have a player like him.He did ok at Millwall who've been dire most of the season and he's not that old so i'd be surprised if he doesn't get 7/8 goals in the last 12 games even for us.

When I went to the den earlier this season he was playing an attacking center mid role, commanded the attack and set up a lot of chances, looked in great shape too

May have well adapted since his time up in Scotland. Al i know is i am excited to see him in a Well jersey again. Just hope its not too little too late.

Yes it's potentially a great signing and if he can still bring the drive and determination that first had us excited in that cup tie at Perth then we have definitely strengthened the team. We just need to start playing now and at least be making chances for him and Sutton.

I assume he still has his petulant streak and we can expect the usual silly bookings and suspensions when we really don't them. He may have changed but I think it's part of the Scott Mcdonald package.