2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Having thought about the Pearson deal, it strikes me that although we are planning on going with a younger team next season that I can see the thinking behind it.

Lasley has been excellent alongside Pearson recently but he can't go on forever. My feeling is that Pearson will take the Lasley role as senior man in the midfield as next season progresses, playing with and helping the development of Leitch, Carswell or potentially another young centre midfielder that we may bring in. With the expected departures of Vigurs and Lawson, we will find ourselves with only four centre midfielders on the books. I expect Ramsden, Kerr and a couple of others to be on their way so our squad should be down to a more manageable size (particularly with the four loan signings returning to their clubs). Plenty of scope to reshape the squad with young players. So having Pearson, McManus, Hammell and Lasley as an experienced core is not a bad thing.

Obviously, a lot will depend on whether Sutton, Ainsworth and McDonald return but, for me, there's a decent starting point for us. I just wonder if we may see some of the loan signings returning (thinking Long and Laing) or more Johnson style signings, lower league players with potential sell on value...

Overall I agree with you Greg, but there could be a good bit of movement in midfield. I can see a role for Pearson, Dom Thomas and to a lesser extent Lasley. Beyond that is very unclear. Paul Lawson may have 5/6 games left to convince the boss that he's worth a deal although as things stand I'd say he'll move on. I think Carswell will be moved on and Leitch - who knows? Nathan Thomas?