2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Riiight, so we're seemingly being linked with anyone who's Irish now. Not sure if that's better or worse than being linked to anyone who's ever played for Bradford.

New manager and the silly season has started with us being linked with everyone under the sun. Don't they know we are absolutely skint with an even more reduced budget next season. We will be concentrating big time on youth hopefully. The youth players who have been on the fringes need to get much more game time this season and from what I have seen of them so far have been much hungrier and their confidence is high when they have had game time in the first team compared to our so called senior professionals.

• 2 weeks later...

January will soon be upon us and the market will open.

Despite two good results, we really need to pick up form in the second half of the season.

We also need to realise that we will have many out of contract in the summer and have to look to restructure the squad more gradually than another massive overhaul.

Keeping Ojamaa is imperative and O'Brien is utterly replacable.

With that in mind... what do we need?

I would suggest first of all we look to offload Neilsen, McHugh, Cummins, Francis-Angol and potentially Lawson and Ramsden (given their attrocious fitness) to free wages.

We are badly lacking a Centre Half, Defensive Midfielder, Left Winger, Attacking Midfielder with pace and another striker (even with keeping Ojamma).

I would like to think Mr Hutchinson and Co. have realised the huge importance of us staying in the league and without spending on fees, would allow us to bring in 4 or 5 players and release those no longer required or good enough to play regular first team football.

Thoughts...?

Outgoings? We can't afford to pay off Lawson or Ramsden so they'll be here until the end of the season. McHugh? Might be able to find a club in the lower leagues interested. Cummins, likewise although he hasn't done much on his loan spells so maybe not.

Ojaama and O'Brien. Ojaama, I have no idea how much of his salary we're paying, but thought strikes me that if we're playing him on the left, we could maybe find someone cheaper more suited to that role and free up money for other areas. O'Brien, not fussed. Given we'll have Ramsden and Reid, and Kerr has had some good games at centre back, and Ferguson could be an option at right back, again the money could be better spent elsewhere.

Midfield is an area we could strengthen. Striker wise, if we bring someone in, will that just lessen Erwin and Moore's opportunities? A dilemma...

The rebuilding job will probably have to wait until the summer as most of the deadweight in the squad is unlikely to attract any interest at present and we are not really in a position to pay them off. If we can get a couple out of the system on loan deals then it may free up some cash for a new face or two, again probably on loan. Of the guys we have currently on loan, I would like to keep Ojaama if possible and wave cheerio to O'Brien who has not looked any better than what we already have, which is damning with faint praise.As it stands, we have to get out of the mess we find ourselves in with the squad we have. This is eminently achievable given the standard of the league but there has to be a major turnaround in attitude and fitness. The interesting time will come in the summer transfer window. It will be difficult but let's hope we are not rebuilding for a season in the Championship.

Honestly I'd be surprised if we have anyone comes in other than O'Brien/Ojamaa extending their loans or replacements if they don't.

Not one of the players that are out of the picture that are going to go on to a better club or contract so they will sit tight and pick up the last 6 months of their contract here.

The ones that might do and we want to keep, will hold tight until the summer looking for a better deal as out of contract players.

To be honest, I don't think we should be throwing money at the squad anyway, as far as I'm concerned we have more than enough already to survive in the league and shouldn't even be in this position.

Getting the team to perform to previous standards will add much more than bringing in January window players who will more than likely not have been playing this season either having been sidelined by their clubs or being free agents.

Thoughts...?

You have no idea of how a football club like ours operates in the transfer market, contracts in place and financial restrictions, not to mention we can only offload someone if there's someone willing to take them.

The naivety of your points is astounding without even a hint of a caveat that your list is wishful thinking and as likely as seeing a unicorn cut about the Dutchy.

• Like 1

For a club like ours the window hasn't shut, it won't till April, that is if it has ever been open.

Unless we can get some of our players to mutual agree to leave or get them signed to a club on loan the "deadwood" will be here till the summer. And I cannot blame any player who sees out his contract

I think the one bit of business we do need to sort out is Dan. He only signed on a 1 year contract. I believe that Gunner's contract runs out this year as well.

So we need to talk to Dan and see if we can offer a deal or start scouting for two new keepers.

Hopefully though Bara doesn't do a McCall and let Marsh call the shots on that one.

We might have limited scope for manoevre, as Ian Baraclough hinted. Hopefully Ojamaa will extend his stay. Our priority must be central midfield where the root cause of problems have lain this year. We badly need a mobile defensive player and someone creative with pace. However a small budget will dictate if we can achieve this or not. No doubt there's the possibility of moving a player or two out on loan to supplement the war chest if only modestly.

Don't really expect much movement. Ojamma staying would be good. O'Brien would be no massive loss. If we can move on a few fringe that may free up budget for a loan. McHugh puzzles me as he's not been near the bench in weeks so is he injured and if so no chance of getting him shifted.

Somebody said Dan only has 6months to run? Got my fucking hopes up there.

Hopefully Onthefringes is right though and we sign a keeper with 2 hands and one who fits into an XL top.

On the more general point...we won't be relegated, I'm 100% sure of that! St Mirren and Ross County are way worse than us. So, it really depends on the level of our ambition this season....do we want to shell out cash on bring players in, and/or paying off contracts to deadwood in a futile attempt at Top6 or do we see the season out with what we have and regroup in the Summer??

1419991733[/url]' post='427804']

You have no idea of how a football club like ours operates in the transfer market, contracts in place and financial restrictions, not to mention we can only offload someone if there's someone willing to take them.

The naivety of your points is astounding without even a hint of a caveat that your list is wishful thinking and as likely as seeing a unicorn cut about the Dutchy.

that's the game, let's just stumble along like we have for the last 5/8 years, with no vision, living hand to mouth and asking for handouts where and when available. That has really got us in good shape financially and structurally, why didn't I think of that???

What we need is for Hutchinson et. Al. To have a vision to grow the club. He is a businessman and will know that in order to turn profit from an ailing company, money has to be put in to eliminate cash draining areas whilst also investing in long and short term profitable assets - which will mean a small amount of funds being used to pay off contracts, with the freed wage budget going to other players.

If Ojamaa can only play for us or Legia for the rest of the season we should be able to keep him here as he is clearly unwanted there.

I'd send O'brien back to Derby and look for a centremid on loan. Beyond that I doubt we can afford to do much until the great 'don't let the door hit your arse on the way out' exodus in the summer.

that's the game, let's just stumble along like we have for the last 5/8 years, with no vision, living hand to mouth and asking for handouts where and when available. That has really got us in good shape financially and structurally, why didn't I think of that???

What we need is for Hutchinson et. Al. To have a vision to grow the club. He is a businessman and will know that in order to turn profit from an ailing company, money has to be put in to eliminate cash draining areas whilst also investing in long and short term profitable assets - which will mean a small amount of funds being used to pay off contracts, with the freed wage budget going to other players.

What you are missing here Lord Sugar is that it would take large lump sums to get rid of our diddies and minor miracles to find clubs that want them.

• Like 4

What you are missing here Lord Sugar is that it would take large lump sums to get rid of our diddies and minor miracles to find clubs that want them.

What Sugar-esque amount do you place on eliminating deadwood (5 soon to be out of contract players to free wage bills lets say). Personally, I would be astonished if that figure was more than 250K, which if it is goes to show how shoddy our contract dealings have been of late. If a business is not able to raise a measly 250K for infrastructure purposes (with a new owner), it is in serious, serious trouble far beyond what has been portrayed.

1420021061[/url]' post='427817']

What Sugar-esque amount do you place on eliminating deadwood (5 soon to be out of contract players to free wage bills lets say). Personally, I would be astonished if that figure was more than 250K, which if it is goes to show how shoddy our contract dealings have been of late. If a business is not able to raise a measly 250K for infrastructure purposes (with a new owner), it is in serious, serious trouble far beyond what has been portrayed.

£250,000 to clear out deadwood that can be cleared out in 6months time anyway?? Even if we had that cash (which we don't), what purpose, gain or advantage would it give us. I'm astonished that anybody who knows anything about Motherwell, our finances and our new 'owners' thinks that we will be giving anybody a golden handshake to fuck off.

I think you need to stop watching so much Dragon's Den and start paying a bit more attention to what is going on at Fir Park and Scottish football in general.

The club is having to borrow money from the Society to pay it's running costs and you think they are going to find a quarter of a million quid just so Gunnar, Boab and Cummins aren't hanging around for a few more months?

We are paying the price for McCall's bad decisions in the transfer market and the lesson should be that every player and contract should be scrutinised by people other than the manager to make sure they fit in with the long term direction the board wants the club to move in. It's clear to me that in summer 2013 McCall wanted a team who could deliver short term success and get himself a quick move, it has backfired badly and we need to learn some lessons from the fiasco.

• Like 3

It is not about simply paying players to leave.

We are in the position where we are languishing in the league and a blind man with a cork leg could tell you that we badly need to enhance the squad.

I am not suggesting we have the finances for salaries to bring in the 4 or 5 players which are so badly requiring - the cash injection to therefore pay players off (4 or 5) is external to the wage bill not supplementary.

If the time is right and we see the potential of a Randolph, Ruddy or Jutkewicz (spelling) then we should make sure we have the salary structure in place to do so (with a view to creating sellable assets).

The attitude of some on here is utterly miserable. We should be creating a vision for the club and implementing good practice in all departments - sadly it seems some of you have become trapped in the same malaise as is so often projected by the club