2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Michael Fraser released by Ross County for all those on here looking for a replacement keeper.

Would be interesting to see how people would rank him against our current keepers. I would probably say on par with Hollis

So has super keeper Dan Twardzik....

Dan had a good 5 games with us granted but if we signed him as our first choice keeper it would not fill me with confidence.

In my opinion, like Hollis, he just isn't big enough to be a world class goalie. If you are 5'11'' you need to be an unbelievable keeper like Casillas otherwise you are on a hiding to nothing. There are few times this season we have lost a goal with Hollis in nets that Randolph and Ruddy would have got to simpy because they were bigger units.

I'd wager after a few games the same people clambering for him on here would be bemoaning the fact he has shipped goals too.

If he does sign then I'll be behind him all the way though!

• Like 1

Dan had a good 5 games with us granted but if we signed him as our first choice keeper it would not fill me with confidence.

In my opinion, like Hollis, he just isn't big enough to be a world class goalie. If you are 5'11'' you need to be an unbelievable keeper like Casillas otherwise you are on a hiding to nothing. There are few times this season we have lost a goal with Hollis in nets that Randolph and Ruddy would have got to simpy because they were bigger units.

I'd wager after a few games the same people clambering for him on here would be bemoaning the fact he has shipped goals too.

I'm not convinced Twarszik is the answer either but Neilsen is a tall guy and has shipped a few shockers.

laugh.gif

Is that what you have to be to play in goals for Motherwell aye?

Technically I wouldn't say twardzik is much better than Hollis, maybe marginally. For me, where he (and most other SPL level goalies) exceed, is that he makes a decision and commits to it. This helps the defence deal with situations, gives them confidence and so on. Both our goalies seem to change their mind 2 or 3 times when coming for a cross or when choosing whether to punt or pass the ball.

If for no other reason than to get a more solid keeper in, I'll take Dan back now.

I've pretty much stayed out of slaughtering our keepers over the season as it achieves little apart from stoking the fear/hate, Twardzik played the best of the three used, looked technically better, and much more confident and committed to each move or play, is he the answer, I couldn't call that

I don't know what has went wrong with the other two, as both cannot be as bad as some of their on-going errors over the course.

Hollis was slaughtered by some, far too early, unsteady yes but for essentially a rookie goalie at this level, he was settling in, but the fans were never going to breathe easy and it must have been very uncomfortable playing at Fir park, when gasps surround the team as he goes to play the ball, no surprise his best was shown on the road. I don't forsee any change in the general opinion on him, , despite his comeback I'd say his handling, kicking etc looked worse, and I cannot see how anyone could say he was technically on a par with Twardzik or even Nielsen!

Then there is Nielsen who was turned over by McCall after a very decent showing in Russia, seems to have been a tense niggle since his arrival and playing under study, mis-guided expectations? led on? bad attitude? nae idea, seemed to get frozen out again early in the split as well, guess the goal against column justifies that, but most would say he wasn't to blame for some for the sair ones

I don't know what lies ahead, but a keeper is a must, and If I had to keep one on the books for potential recovery it would be Nielsen, but then I don't know the package either receive, maybe I would be swayed if there was a significant difference

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure Cummins has a year left, I told him he better get his finger out at the sponsor's night.

The ex-jambo keeper would do me, a very capable SPL 'keeper. Hollis to me just looks like a lower league goalie, not as focused or professional as he could be coupled with poor decision making.

I'm pretty sure Cummins has a year left, I told him he better get his finger out at the sponsor's night.

Ill bet he told you to feck right off . If he didn't and has a great season next year you should join the coaching staff :blush:

Big scouse is good lad, the finger out comment came after we'd been chatting most of the night, all in context. The problem with him not playing at Dundee was Brown signed him and his loan was until the end of the playoffs. Hartley came in and he wasn't one of 'his'