2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Firstly, its almost certain that Lee Hollis will be leaving. We simply cannot afford to keep 3 senior keepers on our books and Gunnar has one more year left on his contract.

I'm a wee bit disappointed with this signing. Dan Twardzik did well for us in his loan spell but he is still weak in the air and won't solve our problem in that respect. We're seem to be fast running out of options to address our defensive frailties. With the exception of Hutchy it seems as though the other defenders will be much the same as last season. Twardzik is not the answer to our aerial weaknesses. We can then only look to midfield to improve defensively and we've just signed an attacking midfielder. Maybe SM is going to be even more gung ho next year. "Happy to lose 2 goals every game we'll just go out and score 3" Confused.dot.com

• Like 1

Firstly, its almost certain that Lee Hollis will be leaving. We simply cannot afford to keep 3 senior keepers on our books and Gunnar has one more year left on his contract.

I'm a wee bit disappointed with this signing. Dan Twardzik did well for us in his loan spell but he is still weak in the air and won't solve our problem in that respect. We're seem to be fast running out of options to address our defensive frailties. With the exception of Hutchy it seems as though the other defenders will be much the same as last season. Twardzik is not the answer to our aerial weaknesses. We can then only look to midfield to improve defensively and we've just signed an attacking midfielder. Maybe SM is going to be even more gung ho next year. "Happy to lose 2 goals every game we'll just go out and score 3" Confused.dot.com

I have a horrible feeling he will go on to be one of "those" players who can do no wrong irrespective, however time will tell if signing Dundees 3rd choice keeper is a better move than when we signed Airdries 3rd choice keeper.

I received a text from a well-known wind up merchant extraordinaire from this board telling me that Twardzik had signed a 2 year deal, I was convinced he was at it, but lo and behold its fucking true.

I'd say I fall more into the happy clapper camp at Fir Park than I do the MJC side of the great divide, but I'm honestly really disappointed in this signing......I've stated it a rake of times since Christmas, the lad done well for us over the handful of games he played, but for me he isn't the answer for our long-term purely because of his stature.

Really not convinced by this signing at all, and even less so about McCall saying we'll be carrying 3 1st team keepers next season......

Tata Lee or Gunnar....or hopefully both, so that Dan is only being signed as back up to someone decent

• Like 1

I received a text from a well-known wind up merchant extraordinaire from this board telling me that Twardzik had signed a 2 year deal, I was convinced he was at it, but lo and behold its fucking true.

I'd say I fall more into the happy clapper camp at Fir Park than I do the MJC side of the great divide, but I'm honestly really disappointed in this signing......I've stated it a rake of times since Christmas, the lad done well for us over the handful of games he played, but for me he isn't the answer for our long-term purely because of his stature.

Really not convinced by this signing at all, and even less so about McCall saying we'll be carrying 3 1st team keepers next season......

Tata Lee or Gunnar....or hopefully both, so that Dan is only being signed as back up to someone decent

And it begins facepalm.gif

• Like 1

our long-term purely because of his stature.

Really not convinced.... even less so about McCall saying we'll be carrying 3 1st team keepers next season......

Like you I'd be happy with Twardzik as back up but surely we couldn't afford to retain Hollis & Neilsen?

1400878074[/url]' post='412991']

Like you I'd be happy with Twardzik as back up but surely we couldn't afford to retain Hollis & Neilsen?

No way will we go into the season with 3 keepers......I reckon McCall wants to keep Hollis, but won't be in a position to offer him anything until Gunnar is out the door.

Hollis and Twardzik as our keepers next season is not what I had hoped for at all

Time will tell whether he's a long term solution but on the basis of his loan spell with us I think Twardzik is worthy of closer scrutiny to see if he is that player.

Despite the fact he was available on freedom of contract and impressed on loan his signing did catch me by surprise and even more so the two year deal that came with his signing.

He does now come with a certain level of expectation given his performances and our results first time around ofcourse, but what I would say is that the defence looked almost instantly more at ease with him between the posts than they did with the two incumbents they had been playing and training with for months, or years beforehand. He kept 3 clean sheets in 5 games, two of which were against top half teams and helped the team to a win in his debut on having met his team-mates just a couple of days beforehand in a game where we at one of our most fragile points of the season after the Rovers and Celtic debacles.

As I say time will tell but there's a fair degree to be encouraged about from what we've seen already.

Whatever the fuck he wants!

By the time he retires I think las might just be my favourite well player of all time

Remember when Butcher inexplicably wouldn't give him a game? Remember when he almost joined Kilmarnock? Remember when Gannon inexplicably wouldn't give him a game?

There's been a few close calls down the years!

I have a serious question.

Just when will some fans on this message board realise that wewill not sign world class players because they tend to cost 10's of millions of pounds.

Anyone who criticizes Twardzik after his brief spell last season needs a serious wake up call. He is under 6 foot. Really - well we had a keepr over 6 ft that was not too good at dealing with crosses either.

i fuckin despair sometimes help.giffacepalm.gifohmy.gif

• Like 1

I have a serious question.

Just when will some fans on this message board realise that wewill not sign world class players because they tend to cost 10's of millions of pounds.

I think most of us accepted Iain that we weren't going to replace Darren Randolph with a keeper of a similar calibre. However we seemed to go from one extreme to the other. We lost far far too many goals last season from aerial balls and that was not lost on posters here. Now of course not all of those goals can be attributed to the goalies, but a fair proportion could be. Our two centre backs lacked confidence in the guys between the sticks and had to adapt their natural game to provide additional cover. I'm sure we could pick up a keeper who isn't necessarily world class but who could come out for aerial balls with a modicum of competency.

I think most of us accepted Iain that we weren't going to replace Darren Randolph with a keeper of a similar calibre. However we seemed to go from one extreme to the other. We lost far far too many goals last season from aerial balls and that was not lost on posters here. Now of course not all of those goals can be attributed to the goalies, but a fair proportion could be. Our two centre backs lacked confidence in the guys between the sticks and had to adapt their natural game to provide additional cover. I'm sure we could pick up a keeper who isn't necessarily world class but who could come out for aerial balls with a modicum of competency.

Dave you strike me as a sensible guy.

Twardzik may turn out to be another Gunnar. BUT he has played 5 games for Motherwell and that has resulted in 5 wins and 3 clean sheets.

Small period granted but that IS a better record than either Randolph and Ruddy.

I was at the Thistle game when his save stopped us from going 2-0 down. I was impressed with his distribution and it allowed us to attack regularly.

I am pleased with this sigming and he will get my full support. It depresses me when i read people criticising him already. We are surely better than that?