2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

I don't think it's so much that McManus was the problem last season, but that he and Hutchinson were too similar in style. Both centre halfs who like to go for the first header. Hutchinson's best form has come alongside centre backs who are not as dominant in the air and will let him deal with the first header. Thinking of Craigan, Ramsden and Clancy...

Other reason we were more defensively suspect last season was, for me, the fact we gave away possession more therefore invited pressure. In that respect, the signing of Law and the emergence of Leitch may help, despite not being "defensive" players...

I think we would have been defensively better this season if Hollis, Ramsden and Carswell had been ever presents. Instead they missed long spells, including some where all three overlapped in their absence.

A keeper is more than shot stopping, it's communication and organisation.

I think you do yourself and both goalies a huge disservice by a statistical analysis of one variable.

Let's see how the guy pans out before you crucify him

I think he does life a disservice by sitting researching goalie stats at midnight on a fucking Friday. Even for a windup that breaks the gimp scale.

Who gives a fuck!

• Like 2

Aye, but what if the reason we've lost so many active members is because of certain people who deliberately provoke for a reaction?

I'm sick fed up with this idea that if you don't enjoy reading comments like "McCall's a cunt" or "that abortion of a keeper" then you're a happy clapper who isn't interested in reasoned debate or discussion.

No one wants to just read pages and pages of blind optimism and praise if it isn't appropriate. The vast majority of us on here have complained about something to do with the manager, the playing staff, the board, the Well Society, etc. That's fine. I want to know what the problems are and I want to know what my fellow 'Well fans think.

However, there are two or three people on here who post vile, unnecessary comments or simply stir things looking for a reaction.

If that doesn't bother anyone else, fair enough. On the other hand, if that is part of the reason for people becoming disenchanted and leaving the forums, surely it at least needs to be asked if it makes sense for such a tiny minority to have such an impact on the forums?

Tbf, the majority of entertaining posters were lost in the great patter cull/ghoul rebellion after flow stopped running it, rather than folk leaving because of steelboy/mjc.

I think we would have been defensively better this season if Hollis, Ramsden and Carswell had been ever presents. Instead they missed long spells, including some where all three overlapped in their absence.

I tend to agree with that. Ramsden was a big miss and irrespective of your opinion of our keepers, it probably would have helped having the same keeper all season in order that the defence could get an understanding with him.

Carswell is a funny one. I rate him quite highly but it'll be interesting to see where he fits into McCall's thinking. On the face of it, we have a surplus of guys who can play central midfield. Lasley, Lawson, Leitch, Carswell, Law, Vigurs, even Craig Reid in an emergency. If you assume that Vigurs will play on the left, you're still looking at five players for two, maybe there positions. Unbalanced squad, or do we think Lawson may get moved on? And what is Leitch's contract situation?

If Cummins is to be released, you'd figure that a new defender would be a priority, particularly given McCall's comments on releasing McFadden.

Looking at the squad we have signed up just now...

Nielsen

Twarzik

Kerr

Ramsden

McManus

Hammell

Murray (?)

Lawson

Carswell

Vigurs

Law

Leitch (?)

Angol

Sutton

Anier

Erwin

Moore

McHugh

Add Lasley, Reid and Ainsworth to that and it's not a bad squad. Maybe a defender and a winger short of what we'd like but given the financial reality, I could live with that squad...

Just wondering if anyone on here would fancy signing up any of the Hibs rejects who were let go this afternoon ?

James McPake

Ben Williams

Kevin Thomson

Alan Maybury

Tom Taiwo

Paul Cairney

I really rate the keeper Williams but i imagine he is out our wage bracket plus we've just signed Dan so that won't happen, but i don't think i would touch any of the others to be honest.

Hopefully See Lawson get some game time this year, will feel like a new signing when he gets on. Also, Anier getting the rest he needs to get rid of his shin splints problems and he will be fit and raring to go from the off. Can't wait to see Josh in action and Twarzik bringing some much needed composure to our defence. A lot of youth in that squad as well which bodes well for the future.

I thought someone had said that a while back on here. I assume we will be offering him a new ocntract.

The question for me is why haven't we got him tied down already?? A fundamental problem with the running of our club.

I'd take Williams but we probably can't justify paying his wages with neilson on board too. I actually rate cairney too but don't see where would fit in to our team. Mcpake/ Thomson - bit of a gamble with their injuries. Taiwo/ maybury - nah...

1401120056[/url]' post='413259']

Leitch is out of contract, was told today by a friend of his dads, strange one if true.

Hypothetical question, but if it was a choice between re-signing Leitch (one of our own) and Ainsworth (the only man for his position) where should our priorities be?

The question for me is why haven't we got him tied down already?? A fundamental problem with the running of our club.

Aye, we really need to put players in a locked room and beat them up until they sign contracts.

I thought contracts didn't expire until May 31 anyway.

Aye, we really need to put players in a locked room and beat them up until they sign contracts.

I thought contracts didn't expire until May 31 anyway.

Or....focus on tieing down our key/ promising players before the end of the season? Every other team does it. Why can't we?

Or....focus on tieing down our key/ promising players before the end of the season? Every other team does it. Why can't we?

This is a valid point.

The problem is we have a budget which is strained to breaking point and I would wager my mortgage that the out of contract players are being offered deals which are less or the same money they have been on. Add in the deals will probably be on a yearly basis now for the younger guys and that may explain the lack of movement regarding Reid, Leitch and Murray.

I know this will not sit well with the majority on here but the lack of sevco , and now Hivs n hertz , along with the potential of no sponsorship for the SPFL again due to it being unattractive commercially is putting the club in almost impossible situation vis a vis retaining or recruiting players.

The likes of Mick, Hammy and hopefully Las are nearing the end of their careers and are, I would imagine, well enough off not to be too concerned about a wage rise or longer deals.

Leitch is really a concern for me. A couple of Celtic fans I know picked him out as our best player in the recent 3-3 draw. I know he's had a stop start career for someone so young but there really does seem real potential there and I'd hate to see him picked up by one of our rivals or worse still, his potential ruined at the hands of Levein or McCoist. Sign him up now. If we have money to offer McManus a two year deal, there surely is money there for Leitch. I'd go as far to say that it's pointless signing a 24 year old midfielder as we have done while not holding on to an 18 year old that has shown real promise...

I know this will not sit well with the majority on here but the lack of sevco , and now Hivs n hertz , along with the potential of no sponsorship for the SPFL again due to it being unattractive commercially is putting the club in almost impossible situation vis a vis retaining or recruiting players.

On the flip side the Championship may benefit from having three of the best supported teams in Scotland now plying their trade in it. I have no doubt that ex pats from Hearts, Hibs and Sevco will be desperate to watch their respective teams fight it out for the title and that will gladly pay for the privilege. However, I can see Doncaster offering a football package to TV channels that will include both the Premiership and Championship games. I sincerely hope that we don’t sell ourselves too cheaply.

Not so straightforward as you might think. Possible scenario - until a month or two back he didn't look anything special - and we can't sign all of young lads on long contracts. He then breaks into the first team and we offer him a longer deal and he then stalls...... As Weeyin says we can't force them to sign. Maybe that's not the case at all but these decisions aren't easy.