2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Am I the only one that doesn't think Cummins is that bad a player? He's had some poor games, but also had a few good games as well. Bit early to be dismissing him as not good enough maybe.

I think those looking for a direct replacement for Hutchinson will be left disappointed. We currently have five guys under contract that can play centre back. Given the number of options we have in centre midfield (assuming Leitch stays), for me what remains of our budget should be used to give us more options on the wing.

Another thought. I felt Hutchinson and McManus were too similar as a pairing. Playing Ramsden alongside McManus might give better balance...

Another thought. I felt Hutchinson and McManus were too similar as a pairing. Playing Ramsden alongside McManus might give better balance...

This is a fair point. I'd probably agree with that. Of the guys left, a reasonable partnership could possibly be made. Most likely by Ramsden. It's probably his fitness that's the drawback.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Cummins is that bad a player? He's had some poor games, but also had a few good games as well. Bit early to be dismissing him as not good enough maybe.

I'm not a fan to be honest. Really poor positionally and nieve in the tackle. When he is up against a player with good movement he is a bombscare.

Gave his all but not for me and not good enough at this level.

• Like 1

More good news that Craig Reid has signed on for 2 years. Since coming in he has done a sterling job at right back and in midfield. He deserves a contract. Its good to see the Stuart McCall getting contracts fixed up so early. Now for Keith Lalsey, Jack Leitch and Lionel Ainsworth and maybe a replacement for Hutchy, if as seems likely, he moves on.

I don't think he's that bad for a young player. I think he'd get a bit more patience if he were Adam 'Coatbridge' Cummins, mind you.

I tend to agree that he's not that bad. Judging him on 20 or so appearances over three seasons with a variety of partners at the back seems harsh. His positional sense could be better and he is occasionally rash, but that could equally be said of Hutchinson.

For me, the only thing that counts against him is his age. He's 21 now and you have to figure that not having made a real impression so far, younger guys from the U20s will be coming up on his heels.

Time will tell, I guess, but with Hutchinson leaving, there is an opportunity for Cummins to play alongside a much more experienced partner, something that's not always been the case.

One thing is sure: Hammell, Ramsden and McManus are all the other side of 30. Sooner rather than later we may have to put our faith in Cummins, Kerr and Angol, no matter what we fans think of them. Just need to hope that the young boys can learn from playing and training with the older guys...

After his displays since he arrived in the latter part of the season I think Reid has been outstanding and should be automatic right back next season alongside Ramsden McManus and Hammil . Impressed with his tackling , positional sense and attitude a very good signing

I always thought Cummins was decent. He always did a job when called upon, and he was called upon a lot last season. 27 times he played in fact, and I thought he was unlucky not to have played more. His loan at Dundee didn't seem to go too well so who knows. I won't be too disappointed if he leaves or stays.

Oh, and am I the only one that's still a bit hopeful of keeping hold of Hutchy?

Happy that we've signed Craig Reid on a 2 year deal. If we manage to resign most of our out of contract players I'll be happy - although it's always nice to see a couple of new players join the rollercoaster.

Watching the same Motherwell players for 2 seasons might be a bit of a novelty

Excellent bit of business, getting him in gave us so many options that we wouldn't have had due to injuries in the second half of the season. Well impressed with what I have seen of him.

Eejits saying his agent is holding out for more money and has an offer from another club.

Maybe the prospect of European football - no matter if it's only a couple of games - and the chance to get more game time and goals will be enough to tempt him to sign with a view to enhancing his reputation, demonstrating that he's "settled down" and moving on at end of next season.

So is that referring to Rotherham being eejits? or is his agent telling us that he has other offer and wants more money, in which case Ainsworth nd hi agent are eejits.

EDIT: ok I read it again so the eejit is in fact Ainsworth. I would love to see him sign but I think we continue as we have apparently been doing..........here's an offer, say yes or no by this date.......then we move on.

If he's going to fuck about though then I'd just forget him and move on. We've done very well up to now tying players up on deals and moving forward, and I don't see why that should change.

If he's dithering then fuck him.

• Like 2

All players look around and look to negotiate the best possible offer - we lost half the team last year for principally financial reasons, and European football didn't make a bar of difference. It's great that we are getting our business done fast this year but Ainsworth is worth haggling over and delaying on if necessary. In truth he transformed our team last season with pace, assists and goals from nothing. I think he'll sign anyway.

• Like 1

If he's going to fuck about though then I'd just forget him and move on. We've done very well up to now tying players up on deals and moving forward, and I don't see why that should change.

If he's dithering then fuck him.

Thinking about a deal you have been offered and/or negotiating the finer points, all before the deadline you have been set, isn't exactly dithering. Or should we tell Lasley to fuck off too for not having signed already?

If nothing else, it shows the rumour of Ainsworth having already signed for an MLS team wasn't true.

• Like 2

Perhaps too early as you say but you sense this season ahead is something of a make-or-break season for him. Although I think I've been saying that about McHugh for about the past four seasons and he's still here and still trying to make a starting team place his own.

There's no question last season was a fairly significant step back for him given the game time he had enjoyed the season before. He strikes me as a player who needs a lot of time not only to develop but to find a level of consistency that you look for in a first-team player and he will have suffered for that.

For example I think of some constrasting displays from him like the first game against Celtic at Fir Park in 12'13 where they could have taken eight off us easily that afternoon. He was Gunni Jonnson like in his performance and if I mind correctly was red-carded and gave away a penalty. Either way he was utterly hapless.

Yet with a few months experience and confidence behind I remember him being outstanding the next time Celtic returned to Fir Park and he coped admirably and didn't look out of place at all.

Cummins certainly has a measure of potential, and in an ideal world he would have come back from Dundee with a dozen more starts behind him, buzzing from winning the league and ready to make a real go of challenging for the first team. But he's probably worse off now than he was when left for Dundee.

As it stands for me unless he has a storming season ahead, his career is definitely heading more the way of Johnny Page than Shaun Hutchinson.

Perhaps too early as you say but you sense this season ahead is something of a make-or-break season for him. Although I think I've been saying that about McHugh for about the past four seasons and he's still here and still trying to make a starting team place his own.

There's no question last season was a fairly significant step back for him given the game time he had enjoyed the season before. He strikes me as a player who needs a lot of time not only to develop but to find a level of consistency that you look for in a first-team player and he will have suffered for that.

For example I think of some constrasting displays from him like the first game against Celtic at Fir Park in 12'13 where they could have taken eight off us easily that afternoon. He was Gunni Jonnson like in his performance and if I mind correctly was red-carded and gave away a penalty. Either way he was utterly hapless.

Yet with a few months experience and confidence behind I remember him being outstanding the next time Celtic returned to Fir Park and he coped admirably and didn't look out of place at all.

Cummins certainly has a measure of potential, and in an ideal world he would have come back from Dundee with a dozen more starts behind him, buzzing from winning the league and ready to make a real go of challenging for the first team. But he's probably worse off now than he was when left for Dundee.

As it stands for me unless he has a storming season ahead, his career is definitely heading more the way of Johnny Page than Shaun Hutchinson.

Sciatica problems for the kid didn't help, thus missing a large chunk of the season...