2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Agree with all that. At the time of the Anier sale, there were quotes from McCall to suggest that we had a few irons in the fire for striking options so we'll see what materialises.

By the end of the week, we'll have a firmer idea of what potential income we have over the next month. If we do the business against Icelandic mob and draw a PSV or Lyon then it may change the quality of player we are pursuing.

Good point - and possibly if there have indeed been tentative discussions about an 18yr old midfielder with Everton (likely to be bullshit but who knows?) - our budget outlook may be significantly different in a few weeks.

Good point also by milo on DC. Two very different things indeed.

With any luck Clarky will play today, even for 20 mins and we will get to see if there's glimpses of the player he once was and if he's worth signing. If not then we'll just have to trust the gaffer and find out come the start of the season

McCall quoted in The Sun saying no deal to be offered so unlikely I would say.

What strikers do we have that Clarkson is too similar too? It's not Sutton. Does he mean McHugh or Erwin?

If by "too similar" he means "no better" then that's another thing completely.

Erwin is surely Sutton's substitute. He's a big unit and seems to have bulked up a bit since that last time I saw him.

Would liked to have seen Clarkson get a friendly game or two before a decision was made but McCall knows what he is doing.

Clarkson was never lightning quick, if not a slouch, in his younger days but if he lost a yard or so with injuries in last few years then it probably is the right call.

Hope someone else is lined up as McHugh just does not fill me with confidence.

Hope someone else is lined up as McHugh just does not fill me with confidence.

Unfortunately I've got to agree with you there, McHugh gives his all but never seems to get the breaks/luck that a striker needs. The ball doesn't drop for him to get a clear shot or even get a deflection that would build his confidence.

I'm sure that SMcC must see him doing something in training that make him keep giving the guy a chance but watching from the stands I'm just not seeing it. Still, I hope he proves me wrong.

I'm sure that SMcC must see him doing something in training that make him keep giving the guy a chance but watching from the stands I'm just not seeing it. Still, I hope he proves me wrong.

If you watch him in pre match warm-ups you'll see him striking the ball as well as anyone in the team. Seems to be able to pick his spot and generate a hell of a lot of power. He's also scored plenty for the u20's and has more than a few screamers* to his name. I've also heard he's one of the physically strongest in the team but I wonder if that bulk has come at the expense of his pace.

The potential is certainly there, but he's been on the fringes of the first team for 6 years. 4 different managers haven't given him a regular start yet those 4 different managers have continued to give him chances.

*Fantastic goals....

I've also heard he's one of the physically strongest in the team but I wonder if that bulk has come at the expense of his pace.

He was still getting buffeted and battered by some admittedly pretty big defenders yesterday. No reason whatsoever why bulk should affect speed, unless he's been training wrongly. Most of the world's best sprinters are big muscular guys. Many English Premiership players are built like tanks but by god they can shift. His biggest failing yesterday, as commented by many around me, was his lack of movement off the ball.

If you watch him in pre match warm-ups you'll see him striking the ball as well as anyone in the team. Seems to be able to pick his spot and generate a hell of a lot of power. He's also scored plenty for the u20's and has more than a few screamers* to his name. I've also heard he's one of the physically strongest in the team but I wonder if that bulk has come at the expense of his pace.

The potential is certainly there, but he's been on the fringes of the first team for 6 years. 4 different managers haven't given him a regular start yet those 4 different managers have continued to give him chances.

*Fantastic goals....

It's a hell of a lot easier to do well in the warm up without any players bearing down on him. I'm not trying to knock the guy but from what I've seen at the moment he struggles in games to find the openings and get a shot away before being closed down. As I said previously, I really hope that his luck changes and he does start putting some "screamers" away in the first team but, although I'm not making any comparisons, I seem to remember that Ross Forbes could hit a good ball from time to time.

It's a hell of a lot easier to do well in the warm up without any players bearing down on him. I'm not trying to knock the guy but from what I've seen at the moment he struggles in games to find the openings and get a shot away before being closed down. As I said previously, I really hope that his luck changes and he does start putting some "screamers" away in the first team but, although I'm not making any comparisons, I seem to remember that Ross Forbes could hit a good ball from time to time.

Aye he could. During the game as well.

For information purposes. In Motherwell colours, Forbes, a midfielder scored 7 in 70. McHugh a striker has scored 5 in 66.

One of the things that Bob will have to change, extremely quickly is his aversion to taking a risk. Yesterday he seemed always on the back foot, never gambled on a pass coming through or a ball breaking. His reaction time to the ball breaking to him or via a pass, a dummy, a break of the ball is the difference between a successful Premiership striker and a Championship one. Is it a confidence / risk taking thing?. It looks from the stands that he's trying to not make a mistake or do anything wrong than demonstrate a strikers instinct for gambling / taking a chance

Bob's had 13 first team starts for Motherwell FC and scored 8 goals

everybody seems to love picking one out for targetting, I'd say folk are looking at McHugh as those 13 starts first kicked off, 5 years ago, and people think he's some sort of first team veteran

5 starts last season 7 token sub appearances, returned 2 goals

statistically almost the same ratio as Henri Anier.

or Moore who got 1 goal from 3 starts and 16 sub appearances.

He is what he is, a second or third choice striker who has never really had a run in the team and sadly for him only seems to get game time when squad is depleted and off form

• Like 1

Bob's had 13 first team starts for Motherwell FC and scored 8 goals

everybody seems to love picking one out for targetting, I'd say folk are looking at McHugh as those 13 starts first kicked off, 5 years ago, and people think he's some sort of first team veteran

5 starts last season 7 token sub appearances, returned 2 goals

statistically almost the same ratio as Henri Anier.

or Moore who got 1 goal from 3 starts and 16 sub appearances.

He is what he is, a second or third choice striker who has never really had a run in the team and sadly for him only seems to get gme time when squad is depleted and off form

Stealing my material? I got slated last close season for asking about McHugh's minutes to goal ratio. From what you've said about last season, I'd imagine that it's still pretty good...