2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Seconded. Despite Darren Randolph's stature in the SPL keepers of his calibre are ten a penny in England. We've gone from having one of the best keepers in the SPL to having one of the weakest. Is there no in between?

Its down to money i think, the lower levels of the English league, ie League 1, 2 and even some of the conference teams can offer players a lot more money than whats on offer at Motherwell, so we have to work with what we can afford. There may still be hidden gems out there like Randolph but i think they are few and far between.

I have to agree though Twardzik, did look a bit vulnerable last night, but its early days so i will reserve judgement for a while, unless Nielsen is not fully fit SMC must see Twardzik as the better option, which given some of Nielsens performances last term is hardly surprising.

At least no-one is jumping to conclusions about his ability.

That is what admire about Motherwell fans the most.

The ability to judge a player over several games and to give him time to find his feet.

I mean let's be honest it is not as if he a 100% win record in the 5 games he was on loan for us.

But that was just luck...

How about cutting the boy some slack FFS

• Like 2

Seconded. Despite Darren Randolph's stature in the SPL keepers of his calibre are ten a penny in England. We've gone from having one of the best keepers in the SPL to having one of the weakest. Is there no in between?

Dunno about ten a penny, at least not available to loan out left right and centre. We been more than a bit lucky there. Is there a greater depth of talent, undoubtedly so.

How many times was he really tested in that time?

Just saying he doesn't instil confidence

He stopped us going 2-0 behind @ Partick with a fantastic save.

I am not saying he is the messiah.

We are not going to EVER sign a goalie that is perfect. Yes we were spoilt with Ruddy and randolph, but they still made a hash of things from time to time.

How is his distribution - V Good

How quick is he at coming off his line - Excellent

How good is he at saving shots - V good

How good is he at commanding his box - Average

How is he at crosses - Average

We could have a goalie that plucks the ball out of the air evry corner kick, but then every goal kick goes into touch. he stay rooted to his line when the ball is at the edge of the box.

With the salary we are paying - I guess most of the critics on here are expecting Manuel Nueur - cloud cuckoo land

• Like 1

My point during his first time around was that people were jumping to conclusions. There were a few reasons he had a good run, one of which was that he benefitted from less chopping and changing of defenders from week to week.

I'm happy to give him a run in the first team - I just didn't see him as being this Randolphesque keeper that others saw.

• Like 1

Why can't many on here understand if our players were the complete polished article they wouldn't be playing for us?

If Ainsworth and Vigurs tracked back and didn't run out of juice after half an hour ....

If Twardzik had all the attributes in Welldaft's list ....

If Sutton had pace and could play as a lone striker ....

They'd all be both outside our price range and be playing at a higher level. We were spoiled in previous seasons, best to understand that and see every above par performance as a bonus rather than expected.

• Like 1

Eh?

I'll explain in depth for you as you appear to have also negged my comment.

In answer what's he done wrong? I implied he wasn't Randolph (of course it would require a) sense of humour and b) intelligence to draw the conclusion) a player well regarded by everyone on here and in some people's eyes the benchmark for our keepers. Which isn't fair on Dan.

Who remembers Buzz? Now.... HE was some keeper. Flapped at corners, sliced every goal kick out, didn't reach puberty, let in 6 goals every now and then.... Was still the Number 1 in our best team this side of the Millenium.

Don't judge Dan on he is few errors. Judge him on his positives. As Welldaft pointed out, he is no worse than average in his negatives. But getting top marks on his positives.

One game this season. One.

Who remembers Buzz? Now.... HE was some keeper. Flapped at corners, sliced every goal kick out, didn't reach puberty, let in 6 goals every now and then.... Was still the Number 1 in our best team this side of the Millenium.

Don't judge Dan on he is few errors. Judge him on his positives. As Welldaft pointed out, he is no worse than average in his negatives. But getting top marks on his positives.

To be fair to Buzz he was a good shot stopper, although you are right the rest of his game was dire. A plus side to him was that he was consistent, he never really let a mistake get to him.

Don't disagree with you on Smith but our team season 2012/13 was better than McGhee's team...

For what it's worth, he also does door to door sales for Sky TV.

I would find this hilarious is he came to my door.. I remember the morning after my 18th, I staggered out my room to find some ex Motherwell player installing the phone line and sky box. Cant remember the player, was too hungover and drunk to but can remember him talking to my mate about playing for Motherwell.

Im i being overly negative by saying we have 3 goalies now and they're all crap. dry.gif

A tad harsh I'd say as Twardzik has still to be fully tested. However our recent selection of goalkeepers, since we signed Darren Randolph, has been questionable at best. We haven't been good at bringing young goalies through our ranks for years now.

1405795337[/url]' post='416730']

I would find this hilarious is he came to my door.. I remember the morning after my 18th, I staggered out my room to find some ex Motherwell player installing the phone line and sky box. Cant remember the player, was too hungover and drunk to but can remember him talking to my mate about playing for Motherwell.

Have a few who were on the books in recent years covering various shifts in varying roles. Namely, Dougie Ramsay works with a survey design company (owner is the main backer at Troon juniors where he last played and offered him the work), David Gormley with Auchinleck Talbot, Kenny Connoly also junior and have bumped into Ross Forbes regularly undertaking safety critical work of a Saturday night.