2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Am I alone in not being unduly concerned about this summer?

I mean, our biggest performers this year Sutton, Anier and Vigurs (since Christmas, at least) are signed up for the coming year, I'd imagine Lasley and Hammell will certainly sign on again, as well. Lawson will be back (an additional body, if nothing else) along with Ramsden as well. We've had a few younger boys playing in Leitch and Moore, Murray's had a couple of minutes here and there, saw Erwin was back playing for the u-20s last night, who seemed on the edge of the first team too.

Of our out of contract players, McManus, Reid, McFadden, Ainsworth and Hutchinson I'd be quite happy to keep all of them, but given how limited Reid and McFadden's time has been on the field this year (partially through injury, partially through only having been here for about 20 minutes) neither would be a disaster if they left. I'd imagine McManus is on a pretty sizeable wedge as well, so if we had to replace him, it'd be doable.

Ainsworth has been a great addition, and would happily hold onto him, and it seems like Hutch is away. Again though, neither would be the end of the world?

Given the players that we've lost in summers past, it doesn't seem nearly the rebuild that we've become accustomed to? Indeed, Hollis leaving, for example, gives us an opportunity to strengthen in a position we're quite weak in.

Discussions on contract renewals won't take place until 2nd/3rd place is confirmed and Europe is guaranteed. It will probably be around mid-June at the earliest before anything is resolved either way for ALL players.

That's not what McCall said a few weeks ago. In one of his interviews he said discussions would start before the end of the season (unlike prior years), but that players could earn themselves a few extra quid on top if that if they finished well.

Am I alone in not being unduly concerned about this summer?

I mean, our biggest performers this year Sutton, Anier and Vigurs (since Christmas, at least) are signed up for the coming year, I'd imagine Lasley and Hammell will certainly sign on again, as well. Lawson will be back (an additional body, if nothing else) along with Ramsden as well. We've had a few younger boys playing in Leitch and Moore, Murray's had a couple of minutes here and there, saw Erwin was back playing for the u-20s last night, who seemed on the edge of the first team too.

Of our out of contract players, McManus, Reid, McFadden, Ainsworth and Hutchinson I'd be quite happy to keep all of them, but given how limited Reid and McFadden's time has been on the field this year (partially through injury, partially through only having been here for about 20 minutes) neither would be a disaster if they left. I'd imagine McManus is on a pretty sizeable wedge as well, so if we had to replace him, it'd be doable.

Ainsworth has been a great addition, and would happily hold onto him, and it seems like Hutch is away. Again though, neither would be the end of the world?

Overall I agree, but with some detailed differences. Lee Hollis I suspect will move on and I'd look to replace him with a better calibre of keeper. Hutchinson will move on so that will leave one vacancy in defence. Given that I'd like us to sign Craig Reid as he can play full back, centre back and midfield - just the versatile kind of player we need. It will of course depend on Stuart McCall's view of our defence. We may come to an arrangement with Bob McHugh to allow him to move on.

The other out of contract players? Faddy - I don't know - good on his day but not cheap and injury prone. McManus - not cheap / has he strengthened our defence? Ainsworth - blown hot and cold - good to have in your side if you're better than the opposition, but not so good if we're under pressure. Hammell - will probably resign. Keith Lasley - now 34 and young guys coming through - should we offer him a 2 year deal?

A lot will of course depend on a decreasing budget and Stuart McCall's view on whether a very poor goals against record is a cause for concern or not. In this regard, does he look to bring in a better goalie? Is it the central defence to blame? Is central midfield defensively very weak?

Offensively, we are in not too bad a position, but defensively we do need to strengthen.

Forgive me for repeating myself but..

Ainsworth - blown hot and cold

10 goals and 10 assists in just 21 starts, how much hotter do you want him to blow? How many Motherwell players can you remember that have gotten into double figures for goals and assists in single season? In fact according to the boy who does the stats for STV, Ainsworth is the ONLY player in top flight to have double figures for goals and assists this season. Even more remarkable that he's done it in such few games. Admittedly he has his flaws but the boy has got talent and unlike a lot of wingers at our level an end product to go with it.

Also..

good to have in your side if you're better than the opposition, but not so good if we're under pressure.

• Scored an equalizer at Tannadice in the only game we've taken a point off of Dundee United this season.
  • Scored the winner at Pittodrie in our only win against Aberdeen this season.
  • Came off the bench to set up our equalizer against Celtic in the only game we've taken a point off of them this season.

Also no Motherwell player by my reckoning has scored more goals against top 6 opposition this season than Ainsworth. So I would disagree with that entirely.

Forgive me if I'm coming across as a Lionel Ainsworth fanboy as I know he's by no means perfect but I can't believe how criminally underrated his contribution to our season is on here. I for one would love to have him signed up for next season.

• Like 8

10 goals and 10 assists in just 21 starts, how much hotter do you want him to blow? How many Motherwell players can you remember that have gotten into double figures for goals and assists in single season? In fact according to the boy who does the stats for STV, Ainsworth is the ONLY player in top flight to have double figures for goals and assists this season. Even more remarkable that he's done it in such few games. Admittedly he has his flaws but the boy has got talent and unlike a lot of wingers at our level an end product to go with it.

Also..

[/size]

• Scored an equalizer at Tannadice in the only game we've taken a point off of Dundee United this season.
  • Came off the bench to set up our equalizer against Celtic in the only game we've taken a point off of them this season.

Also no Motherwell player by my reckoning has scored more goals against top 6 opposition this season than Ainsworth. So I would disagree with that entirely.

Forgive me if I'm coming across as a Lionel Ainsworth fanboy as I know he's by no means perfect but I can't believe how criminally underrated his contribution to our season is on here. I for one would love to have him signed up for next season.

Offensively I cannot and will not disagree. He's done the business. His pace is badly needed.

Defensively he's left a lot to be desired and has offered his full back little or no protection.

If we stick with him and he with us then we have to make up for his defensive shortcomings by asking other players to take on additional responsibilities and try to coach him.

We pays our money and we takes our choice.

Also..

[/size]

With stats like that, you don't need to be an Ainsworth fanboy to see that, overall, he has contributed well when playing. On top of that, he seems to have settled down at Fir park. I'd like to see him staying.

All this talk about attacking players like vigurs and ainsworth offering nothing defensively is nonsense. I wonder if Pele offered anything defensively in his day. Are we going to start judging our defenders on how many goals or assists they have?

maybe build them a time machine and they can go back and play in the 60s and smoke 20 woodbine as well then.

every player needs to contribute without the ball these days and if they don't you end up with days like saturday. there is no reasons why vigurs and ainsworth can't do their share of defensive work i can think of apart from (i) they are too unfit (ii) they are too lazy (iii) they are too thick.

do we spend a chunk of our budget on a guy who has been left out of 3 of the 4 games because the manager doesn't trust him to play in competitive games? a guy who can hardly ever manage 90 minutes and hides away from home?

it should be a simple no but his goals make it a bit trickier especially considering the lack of goals from the rest of midfielders.

Offensively Ainsworth has been great. Defensively he's been terrible.

Overall I'd like him here next season and hope we can work on him to try a wee bit harder on the other side of his game.

If we can't drill that work ethic into him I think he's the kind of player where you pick and choose what matches he starts according to the opposition. For instance I think McCall got it spot on to leave him out of the Celtic starting line up.

But I'll reiterate that overall I think he's done well, he is an attacking player after all and that should be his main focus. He should be looking at Motherwell as a spring board to work on his overall game, hopefully he'll be here next season and do that.

Totally agree with YB - I would like Ainsworth to stay as he has shown how capable he is.

His pass to Sutton for the Celtic equaliser was perfectly weighted. He is one skilful dude. Last time we played St Johnstone at home he terrorised them and was unplayable - hopefully more of the same this weekend.

That said I kinda agree with Steelboy. We have a small squad and team and he has to show more in defence. I guess if he was adept at both - again he would be elsewhere and not Motherwell Fc.

If he was the all round player he wouldn't be with us.

Ainsworth is capable going forward and chips in with goals, he's disinterested in tracking back.

Humphrey was rapid as, tracked back more but has no final ball and didn't contribute enough goals.

Omar, well .... erm ..... was McCall's mate?

We're Motherwell, we can pay a winger around £3k a week, what do we really expect?

If he was the all round player he wouldn't be with us.

Ainsworth is capable going forward and chips in with goals, he's disinterested in tracking back.

Humphrey was rapid as, tracked back more but has no final ball and didn't contribute enough goals.

Omar, well .... erm ..... was McCall's mate?

We're Motherwell, we can pay a winger around £3k a week, what do we really expect?

more like £300 a week, motherwell players are on pennies thats why they are going south to league one and league two... thats where the £3-4k a week deals are.