2014-15 Ins And Outs

Toxteth O'Grady

Dempster not responsible for any signings? Faddy? She talked about using her contacts for new players as soon as she arrived at Easter Road.

Lawson was brought in when McCall was coming back from holiday to speak to Sheffield United. While Lawson was fit, we showed very little persistence in developing a style of play that would accommodate him.

That's where we differ, I genuinely couldn't see SMc giving a 16yr old a game ahead of Ramsden or McManus like Utd did with Souttar over Dillon etc or say if we had Robertson giving him a shot ahead Hammell.

Erwin looked really decent in the first leg but didn't get a sniff in the second leg when really we needed that extra attacking impetus.

Thomas got a shot in a friendly yes but not a sniff either game but instead Kerr the flying winger was introduced twice!!

McCall will play youngsters but only if he really has too with squad restrictions, injuries etc.

United gave a 16 year old a game because McLean and Gunning were injured, they had literally no-one else when he first came into the team. United's first choice c/h pairing last year was still Dillon and Gunning, but injuries/suspensions saw Souttar play plenty too. Genuinely can't imagine Robertson not getting a game for us.

Does Kerr not count as a young player? Like, I'm not defending that decision because it never seems to work, but nonetheless. I've no idea what we needed in the second leg, because I didn't see it. I don't think at this point (180 minutes into the season), we can really judge how much Thomas, Erwin et al will be used. Happy to stand corrected, but would be surprised if they don't feature.

1406978118[/url]' post='418142']

United gave a 16 year old a game because McLean and Gunning were injured, they had literally no-one else when he first came into the team. United's first choice c/h pairing last year was still Dillon and Gunning, but injuries/suspensions saw Souttar play plenty too. Genuinely can't imagine Robertson not getting a game for us.

Does Kerr not count as a young player? Like, I'm not defending that decision because it never seems to work, but nonetheless. I've no idea what we needed in the second leg, because I didn't see it. I don't think at this point (180 minutes into the season), we can really judge how much Thomas, Erwin et al will be used. Happy to stand corrected, but would be surprised if they don't feature.

Well, I don't think we were the only ones who clocked the erm, disagreement between Stuart McCall & Erwin around the hour mark in Iceland... Que, Keith Lasley moving forward to play off Sutton. His use of Angol is to the likely detriment of Thomas as we move forward too, given the little on offer going forward and I'd wager he won't ever give Hammell a challenge even in his poor vein of form (I use this terms 'poor' & ' form' loosely as he was abysmal in Iceland and has escaped a lot of flak on here).

For me? Fortune favours the brave, if the kids are good enough they are old enough. Blood them.

• Like 1

Well, I don't think we were the only ones who clocked the erm, disagreement between Stuart McCall & Erwin around the hour mark in Iceland... Que, Keith Lasley moving forward to play off Sutton. His use of Angol is to the likely detriment of Thomas as we move forward too, given the little on offer going forward and I'd wager he won't ever give Hammell a challenge even in his poor vein of form (I use this terms 'poor' & ' form' loosely as he was abysmal in Iceland and has escaped a lot of flak on here).

For me? Fortune favours the brave, if the kids are good enough they are old enough. Blood them.

Interesting? Wasn't in Iceland and haven't read anything about a disagreement with Erwin? What's the script!!

Right, so ultimately you're just wanting to play players you haven't seen more than ten minutes of, because they might do the business? Because Kerr and Angol aren't good enough young players, so we need to use other uyoung players?

So what do we do if Thomas or Erwin aren't as good as you're imagining? They get fucked off as well for some other 16 year old?

Interesting? Wasn't in Iceland and haven't read anything about a disagreement with Erwin? What's the script!!

No disagreement - Erwin on halfway line with 4th official waiting to go on. Ainsworth scores and McCall then decides to put on Kerr and Angol instead of Erwin. No "script " here.

1406990940[/url]' post='418161']

Right, so ultimately you're just wanting to play players you haven't seen more than ten minutes of, because they might do the business? Because Kerr and Angol aren't good enough young players, so we need to use other uyoung players?

So what do we do if Thomas or Erwin aren't as good as you're imagining? They get fucked off as well for some other 16 year old?

Erm, naw, but, if it suits how you want to think, batter in.

i did bring up how honking hammell was in the match reports of the european games :nod:

Darren Barr taking part in todays friendly....as I dont believe McCall can honestly rate him as a defender, the question has to be, did he play up front beside Concrete-boots or is he in actual fact the long-term answer to our goalkeeping conundrum??

In view of what we've just read about injuries maybe he was just helping out and was glad of the game time??

Darren Barr taking part in todays friendly....as I dont believe McCall can honestly rate him as a defender, the question has to be, did he play up front beside Concrete-boots or is he in actual fact the long-term answer to our goalkeeping conundrum??

Given how spectacularly John Sutton proved you wrong when you were doing a power of whinging about him around this time last year, is it not perhaps more wise to

A. See if Barr actually signs

B. See how he actually plays

before rolling out the witty put downs and writing him off?

And we talk about McCall needing to learn lessons....rolleyes.gif

• Like 3

We could do worse than Darren Barr but his problem (other than being tainted by playing for the Jambos) he is too much like Gary Caldwell, in that he doesn't really have a position. He is just a defensive player. Probably best at right back or the right hand side of a back 3.

We need a striker though... If we are starting Bob McHugh we are looking at bottom six, maybe bottom two. As far as I see we need a central midfielder we haven't had a good one since Jennings left. Lasley works hard but gets dragged out of position too much "chasing", and at his age being the runner really isn't ideal. Carswell just doesn't ever seem to "get there", either in his head by being positionally good or by pace. Lawson was product of the system that Ross County played, it made him looked good, he is not the answer.

I don't believe I have seen this young left sided midfielder play in person but we know what the others can do in this division so, lets give him his chance.

If you look at the squad, I think we could be doing with playing the system the dutch did in the World cup. We are full of defensive minded players, so play wing backs and 3 at the back. They played 3 attacking players in Snijder, Robben and Van Persie.... So, that would be Vigurs, Ainsworth and Sutton....

Why do things make sense in your head but when you write it down or comes out your mouth, its just utter nonsense.

Although I am sure there is a point in their somewhere :)

Edited by fonseca

just to remember people on this page we support motherwell football club and not real madrid, and yes the darren Barr's of this world are the type of players that we will be linked with, people write players off before they have even played 90 minutes for the club. If they do sign darren Barr then a would be happy as motherwell have a good reputation of getting players to play to their potential, and why can't darren barr be another 1 of these players to make a name for himself. Tim clancy was shite with kilmarnock and he came to us and done a good job and gets a move to hibs, fair enough he pish now but it proves that motherwell fitted him well. Again john sutton was pish at hearts but comes back to us and done a great job last season, so at least give people a chance before writing them off. motherwell fans are the worst fans at times.

It's worrying that Ramsden is again on the injury list. Maybe it's a very minor injury but we cannot go into the season with Ramsden as number 1 and a deputy in Adam Cummins. Ramsden is a severe injury doubt and Adam Cummins will cost us league places just like Stevie Wood did years ago.

If bringing in Darren Barr means we have a bit of cover there, I don't see why anyone would kick up a stink.

Perhaps Barr could come in and play like Reid did to try and win a contract before the end of the window, especially if the injury list is genuine - Ramsden, Reid, Hammell, Francis-Angol, Kerr etc.