Davie Cooper

something else

A real down to earth modest guy. One of the greatest footballers ever to have played in Scotland and for us.

For the short time he played with us he gave terrific entertainment and brightened up many an otherwise dull grey Saturday. Lifted a fairly good side into being a really good side when he arrived at FP. Watching him and Bobby Russell playing together was a real pleasure. Seeing the true joy on his face when he lifted the cup for us and whilst on the open-topped bus round the town will be a lasting memory. notworthy.gif

• Like 1

I was only a nipper when he was at Fir Park and I remember noticing he always took the corners and asked my dad why he always did it and my dad just said because he's brilliant at it. It satisfied an eight year old and that is my long overarching memory. No doubt he was a brilliant player when you watch the archive footage, I sometimes wish I was ten years older so I could have appreciated him that wee bit more.

Cooper was a great asset to that team, no doubt. Wee Tommy assembled that squad from back to front and started off making us hard to beat. Adding guys like Russell transitioned us to a more attacking force, and DC was icing on the cake.

I remember when he became available that a move to Hearts seemed most likely. Then, I was reading the Evening Times at Argyle Street station and saw he had joined us. Was delighted at the time, and the Russell/Cooper combination was a joy to watch at times.

The day we signed Cooper will always last with me, I was working at Fir Park testing the fire alarm and an irate Tommy McClean came to the tunnel area where the main panel was located after I'd set it of for the third time in ten minutes, moaning he was trying to sign a player in his office and I should 'can it just now', I cheekily asked who and he said Davie Cooper. 'Aye good one Tommy' I replied.... half an hour later I walked down to the tea room where he was sitting watching the telly.

Also had the privilege of working at his house the day after we beat Celtic in the semi final, hungover and not in the mood to go to my next job, he made me tea and toast and we spent the whole day chatting so he could miss training with a fault in his garage wiring and I didn't have to work with my hangover.

Showing Anton Rogan the ball after Rogan had kicked lumps out him was a favourite moment.

• Like 3