Motherwell V Kilmarnock 29/03/14

Brazilian

Honking performance against a pish team.

Why have we started this new trend of attempting to win the first half and then sitting back and barely venturing out in the second? Been going on for weeks and iy caught us out badly today.

Ainsworth didn't bother turning up, Sutton got no meaningful service, we allowed Eremenko plenty of time to link play at his pleasure, Angol was as dire as ever, and we conceded two goals through slack minded defending.

Plus points were Vigurs and Nielsen.

ETA and Reid. Mistake aside, he at least looked like he could be arsed playing.

Not going to criticize the team too much for getting caught on the break in the last minute of injury because we were trying to win the match but it was a poor performance today.

I thought we looked pretty flat and tired, we've had a few matches in the last 5 or 6 weeks and I thought it showed today.

Second half especially we just didn't seem to get anything going. Poor passing, midfield, wide players, forwards not linking up well enough, no real penetration. Just poor fare, overall.

We got lucky with the Aberdeen v Dundee Utd result, we will need to rest up, try and recharge the batteries and get the energy levels back up for the next couple of fixtures.

what exactly was the point of bringing frazer kerr on to play right mid? if you want to win the game bring on erwin or thomas. if you want to close it out put him at right back. he offers nothing as a right midfielder yet he has played there as much as anywhere.

we got out of jail with eremenko trying to be too clever and then shot ourselves in the foot again. reid could barely get back across the half way line with the eremenko chance yet he charged up the park again 30 seconds later.

what exactly was the point of bringing frazer kerr on to play right mid? if you want to win the game bring on erwin or thomas. if you want to close it out put him at right back. he offers nothing as a right midfielder yet he has played there as much as anywhere.

we got out of jail with eremenko trying to be too clever and then shot ourselves in the foot again. reid could barely get back across the half way line with the eremenko chance yet he charged up the park again 30 seconds later.

Two kids score for Killie while we bring on Fraser Kerr rather than Thomas or Erwin.

Evident today why Craig Reid was released from Morton. Schoolboy stuff.

• Like 1

I gave him motm last week but Reid was brutal today . Defensively and going forward. As for angol . A waste of a shirt. What Mccall sees in him I'll never know.

Vigurs is head and shoulders above everyone in our squad bar faddy. Always looking to bring the ball down and make the pass or have a dig. Playing him in a 2 man central midfield will never work. Mccall fucked up big time with the team set up. How hard is it to make a.like for like change? If carswell is out replace him with a central midfielder (leitch). Not Mccall though. He moves vigurs and brings in the useless angol and the team is all over the place.

And Kerr on when your trying to win a game??

• Like 1

Two kids score for Killie while we bring on Fraser Kerr rather than Thomas or Erwin.

Evident today why Craig Reid was released from Morton. Schoolboy stuff.

That is harsh. I thought he was by some distance our best player today, not that there was much competition. There were many more people to blame going back to some of the poor passing leading up to the Kill ie break which led to their goal.

If you are looking to passengers. Our wingers were very poor today. I was a fan of Zaine, but you would be hard pushed to see a more inept display. Ran around doing very little and chasing thin air. He got the Kill ie defender booked, but that apart he was a complete waste of a jersey.

Sore one to take, but it is the Mother well way. Things were progressing too well that a kick in the teeth was just around the corner.

Still I would take 3 points ahead of United with a game in hand at this stage in the season. We need to take 4 points in the next 2 games and hope Celtic beat united next weekend. That happens we will be 7 points ahead going into the split. Probably the best we can hope for. I think after today 3rd is as good as we will get. Aberdeen are not likely to turn in such a timid performance.

• Like 1

Mccall fucked up big time with the team set up.

Did you honestly look at our starting line up at 3pm and think we weren't capable of beating Kilmarnock? Hindsight might be clouding your judgement here. Sometimes, players cross the line and just don't perform. You can't always blame the manager.

• Like 3

Definitely thought we missed the quality of McFadden today. Can't really complain about the result as we didn't really have a clear cut chance to win the game. Too much fannying about with the ball in the final third.

Anyone think we had a decent shout for a penalty? Can't really see why Anier(?) would have went down without being touched?

Also I thought young Moore had a decent game until he came off.

Very disappointing stuff.

Very reminiscent of our previous home matches but this time we weren't able to ride the "storm". It's fair to say we've had ample warning over the past three fixtures that something like that was coming.

Not too much in it throughout I felt. Both teams had spells where they were dominant in terms of possession, both carved out a few chances. A draw for me would have been about right. A win for either side would have been arguably unmerited so a defeat and in the manner it came was a real boot in the chuckies.

But we were far from great it has to be said. Missed the inventiveness of McFadden and the combativity of Carswell in the middle of the park and allied to that there were a couple well below par - I'm thinking Ainsworth in particular here.

It rankles that it was such a good opportunity lost, that we had the lead and couldn't see it out and that if Sutton had put that header away early on in the 2nd half that would probably have been that.

Only ourselves to blame though this time.

Yeah I did actually. As soon as I seen angol was playing I knew Killie had a chance. The guy brings nothing to the team yet Mccall still plays him. So I can blame the manager.

If Lionel "Blair"Ainsworth showed half the commitment and half the effort of Angol...we could be second in the league tonight.

How he lasted so long was the reason we never got one/three points

The game was there for the taking McCalls, tactics off again moving players ,Vigurs to central mid then Kerr in midfield as a sub let us down, and not changing things in the 20 minute spell before Killie equalised....who deserved the points for their second half display

Angol was honkin can't believe he lasted as long as he did,can anybody tell me what he actually brings to the team wallbash.gif Ainsworth not much better and WTF bring Kerr on. Vigurs did well but just shows how much we missed faddy,s creativity

If Lionel "Blair"Ainsworth showed half the commitment and half the effort of Angol...we could be second in the league tonight.

How he lasted so long was the reason we never got one/three points

Likewise, if Angol had half the skill and talent that Ainsworth clearly possesses we would be second. His work rate (or lack of) frustrates me as well but he can do fuck all hard work if he scores 10 goals a season from right midfield as far as I'm concerned.

Poor , disjointed display today . Vigurs for getting the ball down and trying to create , Reid for endeavour , and Nielsen for a couple of decent stops among the few success stories in a poor performance .

Other than a turn of pace I have no idea what Angol has to offer . Too little awareness or positional sense to be a full back , and not enough creativity or flair to be a midfielder / winger , really just not good enough IMO and would much preferred to have seen Leitch given a starting berth .

Results elsewhere mean that although it was an opportunity missed to strengthen our place ahead of Utd , it was by no means a disaster . A draw midweek and a win in Paisley next Saturday would take us into the split in a fairly strong position , so just hoping the team can find the little spark thats missing , and McCall the right players / formation to get the job done .

Did you honestly look at our starting line up at 3pm and think we weren't capable of beating Kilmarnock? Hindsight might be clouding your judgement here. Sometimes, players cross the line and just don't perform. You can't always blame the manager.

I was slightly worried when I saw the team, not because Faddy was out because I didn't expect him to be risked. However when I saw there was no Carswell I was worried about the shape and balance of our midfield with Vigurs in the middle of the park and ZFA wide left. First of Zaine, now he has some attributes to be a decent player; pace, strength and he's decent enough on the ball. However he lacks any sort of positional sense and in game awareness. He must have played over 50 games for Motherwell and I honestly couldn't tell you where his best position is? He looked dodgy at full back last month and after an alright first half today was anonymous 2nd half at left wing today. Perhaps a wee break and spell back in the U20's would be the best thing for him cause after good start to the season it's not been happening for him lately.

And of course by putting him there you have to shift Vigurs out of the left midfield berth he's excelled in and made his own in recent months. Now, Vigurs had another very good game today and was head and shoulders above the rest of his teammates. Everything positive came through him today. However him and Hammell have developed a decent understanding down that left side in recent weeks and we finally had a bit of decent shape to our midfield. Can't help but feel by not bringing Leitch in for Carswell McCall has tinkered too much with the shape and balance of the midfield which has won it's last two games. Lasley struggled today and him and Vigurs never really clicked as a partnership, don't think him and Vigurs are the suited to each other in there. We failed to get a hold of the midfield today and never really had any dominant spells of possession and were overrun in the middle of the park by Killie today, especially 2nd half. Leitch and Lasley dominated the middle of the park against Hearts at Fir Park and allowed the flair players like Vigurs do their thing. Today we never really got to grips with the midfield and the forwards were feeding off scraps as a result.

Then when Killie got a deserved eqaulizer, McCall finally tried to address the problem and change the shape by punting Vigurs to the right and bringing on Leitch for Ainsworth(who was woeful). He then punted Vigurs back to the left and brought on Fraser Kerr which baffled just about everyone in the stadium.

So aye, I would have brought Leitch in and tried to keep the same shape that's worked for us in recent weeks but I suppose it is easy to say after the event. Then again maybe just too many of our players didn't turn up today and having ridden our luck in recent games today was the day it eventually ran out. Although when Eremenko fluffed his lines I genuinely thought we'd gotten away with one, the fact we didn't heed that warning and lost the goal from a similar scenario only 90 seconds later was criminal.

Anyway, all ifs and buts. Today's a right off, just have to focus on Tuesday and try and bounce back with a positive result and performance.

• Like 1