St Mirren V Motherwell 05/04/14

Bop

There's no way that even after the bad result today we can say that 2nd or 3rd place has gone

Totally agree with that..still 15 points to play for and we are well placed. The thing that annoys me most is that we have lost 9 ponts from winning positions 7 against dross like Killie, Hibs and St Mirren, even the 2 agaist the Sheep should never have got away. So we should be home and dry by now Europe confirmed and a couple of points away from securing 2nd.

But its the motherwell way, as it stands 4 points will see us improve on last season which given the changes is a fantastic effort by the team. We will be in Europe as i expect a Aberdeen v untd cup final..but can we finish 2nd yes we can..

Totally agree with that..still 15 points to play for and we are well placed. The thing that annoys me most is that we have lost 9 ponts from winning positions 7 against dross like Killie, Hibs and St Mirren, even the 2 agaist the Sheep should never have got away. So we should be home and dry by now Europe confirmed and a couple of points away from securing 2nd.

But its the motherwell way, as it stands 4 points will see us improve on last season which given the changes is a fantastic effort by the team. We will be in Europe as i expect a Aberdeen v untd cup final..but can we finish 2nd yes we can..

Probably been covered elsewhere, if Aberdeen or Dundee Utd win cup and finish above us, does 4 th get into Europe

they didn't dominate the middle of the park, neither team played well enough to say they dominated anything.

If you were at the game I have to respect your opinion but 12 corners against 4 is a telling statistic.

We're doing well this season but that doesn't mean that we should overlook or conceal our persistent weaknesses. An inability to defend is very worrying and that isn't all down to our defence. Much of it is down to a midfield that cannot defend or shield its back four. If we cannot defend crosses/corners (and we can't) then we should look to defend higher up the park and cut out such threats but we seem to take to the view that if we lose 2 or 3 goals so what we'll score 3 or 4. Some days that may work but today some, not me, might blame our strikers for not scoring enough.

Irrespective of where we finish the goalkeeping position and defensive midfield need to be addressed in some shape or form over the summer.

We were pish in the 2nd half but the ref was even pishyer Goodwin should have been off for two bookings within 30 seconds of each other and another of them should have been off for kicking out over at the sideline . Acording to the manager on the radio coming home the handball was McManus face and the ref gave the penalty even tho he was 35 yards away and the linesman who never gave it was only 10yards away .But that doesn't excuse us loosing a 2 goal lead to a shite St Midden team. Will Ainsworth ever get stuck in for the team ?

I seem to have a bit more sympathy for the team than many who have posted so far. That game was dying on its arse until Brines intervention with the penalty award. St Mirren had shot their bolt long since and we were as comfortable as we'd been at any point in the game at that stage until the penalty.

Criticise us for losing composure after that? Certainly. But it was a massive game changing fuck up of a decision from Brines that turned the game on its head. He had a pretty desperate forty-five minutes riddled with mistakes and inconsistencies. Aside from the penalty let's not forget how he bottled the second booking for Goodwin. Or the double standards that saw him pull up Motherwell players for time-wasting but let St Mirren players do exactly the same without it seemingly being a problem any longer. And he obviously took exception to what was being said to him by some players after the penalty because it was just foul after foul after foul against Motherwell for very little after that.

First half I thought we looked pretty threatening going forward and scored two cracking goals. Saints looked threatening from set-pieces but weren't creating anything much in open play. They had passed up a couple of decent chances and it wasn't a great surprise when they pulled one back. Disappointing we couldn't have seen it out until the break.

They were well on top for the first 20 odd minutes of the second half, where Nielsen had a couple of good saves, but we looked to have weathered the storm and seemed pretty comfortable. Had Ainsworth's shot gone in or Craig Moore taken his chance it was game over. And then Mr Brines played his decisive role...

It's a bloody frustrating scoreline and it rankles that with a break there won't be an immediate opportunity for the players to use the frustration in a positive way by looking to bounce right back.

• Like 1

Quelle surprise! Our forwards must be getting right pissed off at the defence. Continually doing the business of putting us in winning positions only for the defence and goalkeeper to toss it away. Our goals scored is highly impressive but our goals against column is as bad as those at the other end of the table. McCall needs to get this addressed. To lose 3-2 from being 2-0 up is just unacceptable.

However I seem to recall being 2-0 up at home to this lot at FP in the last game of the season a few seasons back when Malpas was in charge and we ended up losing 3-2. Who says lightning never strikes in the same place twice?

If there is a hard way to do things the the mighty Dossers will not only find it but do it!dry.gif

Pretty embarrassing reaction from some who didn't witness anything today.

sure some of the points can refer to other games but reflect little on todays game

we were never , really on top in the first half, I commented that a neutral would probably enjoy the game it was literally end to end at times

brilliant effort from the team to get us in front, but being honest , the lead flattered us in the number of chances St Mirren had with set pieces.

so when the inevitable happened 1-2 at HT seemed a fair reflection

Quite a few chances in the second for both sides, but as has been said, game was all but finished.

Gunnar had played a blinder keeping us in it and game was winding down

until Brines input. Goodwin and the wee Aberdeen boy should've been shown red and the penalty?

I swore it was his face from the other side of the ground

hand extended probably helped swing it.....

look forward to the video

9802351_400_400_0_0_fit_6_3d64f803e46b383bf2a8d1cc98f38a93.jpg

Disappointed that once again McCalls Motherwell chucked a good lead, the substitutions seemed strange and done nothing to lift our team, whereas replacing Goodwin etc gave them drive, but most of us were already looking at the league table and other results

I seem to have a bit more sympathy for the team than many who have posted so far. That game was dying on its arse until Brines intervention with the penalty award. St Mirren had shot their bolt long since and we were as comfortable as we'd been at any point in the game at that stage until the penalty.

Criticise us for losing composure after that? Certainly. But it was a massive game changing fuck up of a decision from Brines that turned the game on its head. He had a pretty desperate forty-five minutes riddled with mistakes and inconsistencies. Aside from the penalty let's not forget how he bottled the second booking for Goodwin. Or the double standards that saw him pull up Motherwell players for time-wasting but let St Mirren players do exactly the same without it seemingly being a problem any longer. And he obviously took exception to what was being said to him by some players after the penalty because it was just foul after foul after foul against Motherwell for very little after that.

First half I thought we looked pretty threatening going forward and scored two cracking goals. Saints looked threatening from set-pieces but weren't creating anything much in open play. They had passed up a couple of decent chances and it wasn't a great surprise when they pulled one back. Disappointing we couldn't have seen it out until the break.

They were well on top for the first 20 odd minutes of the second half, where Nielsen had a couple of good saves, but we looked to have weathered the storm and seemed pretty comfortable. Had Ainsworth's shot gone in or Craig Moore taken his chance it was game over. And then Mr Brines played his decisive role...

It's a bloody frustrating scoreline and it rankles that with a break there won't be an immediate opportunity for the players to use the frustration in a positive way by looking to bounce right back.

Entirely agree with that. I thought St Mirren were the better team for the first hour and Neilsen had a super game which kept us in it. The only reason we were ahead was because we were clinical going forward.

However from about 60 minutes on St Mirren seemed to take the view that they had played well, were losing and they became very disjointed, gave away silly free kicks and deserted the wing play that had served them pretty well and started playing long balls that Kerr and McManus were sweeping up. We became a bit better on the break and I actually thought the last 30 minutes 3-1 looked more likely than 2-2.

Then as you say, Brines played his part. Not only was it apparently not a penalty - I was unconvinced either way at the time - there was a pretty horrible tackle on Reid on the touchline before the ball went in and then the penalty was given.

Again, I didn't think the free kick that led to the third goal was a great decision either.

That said, it was St Mirren's eighth set play that they didn't win a header from in our box. I'm sure nobody needs me to say that is chronic and even that eighth one, the ball sailed over everyone. If they had been clinical at all we could have been three or four down at half time.]

Also on the Brines front, Goodwin's two tackles within a minute were dreadful. One was plain dirty and the other plain cynical. Brines was two yards away from the second one and the decision not to issue the second yellow was that of a bottle merchant.

I'd agree St Mirren deserved to win, but because of their first half performance more than what happened later in the game.

Poor result today but still 15 points left to play for, so move on and concentrate on them. We definitely miss McFadden on the field so hopefully the 2 week break will help him and a few of the others get over their knocks and recharge ready for the push to at least 3rd place.

Passing wasn't great, picking out the man was more of a kick the ball and hope there is somebody there, but at the end of the day St Mirren were the more hungry team. However, I would much rather be in Motherwell's league position than St Mirren's.

Need to wait and see the penalty incident on TV to see if Brines did cock up, but he should have sent Goodwin off. If that was Hutchy he would have been booked and taking an early bath.

As someone who has followed the Well for nearly 40 years, some of the treatment handed out to the young well lads was ridiculous. Most of them just want to sing and have a good time, yet one PC Plod in particular was adamant that they had to sit in their own seats and not together. I don't think many people sat in their allocated seats anyway and also, I didnt realise until I got into the stadium that both myself and my son had been given tickets with seat numbers about 8 seats away from each other, so they canny even give us 2 seats together, how difficult can that be to do?. Then there was about 20 or so fluorescent glow worms all lined up in front of the well bois, when there was probably half that number visible round the rest of the stadium in the home sections. Intimidation at its best. Heavy Hands, Empty Stands right enough.

• Like 2

I swore it was his face from the other side of the ground

hand extended probably helped swing it.....

look forward to the video

Highlights are up on MFC TV, but they're far from conclusive either way. Hopefully the 'fishel highlights will have a better angle, not that there's anything we can do about it now.

The biggest game changer IMHO was us allowing them to pull one back just before half time and letting them back in the game just like we did at Easter Road. We had numerous let offs in the first half where St.Mirren failed to score from at least two free headers from corners we'd failed to defend. One was a terrifc save by Nielsen and the other Goodwin inexplicably managed to miss the target from about six yards. They had several other half chances from set plays in the 1st half as well. Five minutes to half time despite not playing brilliantly we were comfortable at this point having scored two well worked goals and Sutton was inches from making it three. We then give away a soft as fuck goal from a set piece having failed to heed our several previous warnings and that changes the game completely. They looked devoid of ideas and hadn't threatened our goal in the first half outside of set pieces, this goal however gave the players and the fans a huge lift going into the 2nd half.

How many soft goals have we lost from set pieces recently?

Don't think we were as awful as some are making out, weren't great either mind. 1st half Saints had plenty of the ball but were hardly threatining outside of set plays. We went down the other end and scored from two decent, well worked moves. They looked down and out of ideas but inevitably they scored from a set piece when we had a decent hold of the game to give them a huge lift and let them right back into it.

2nd half we had ridden the initial storm with Nielsen making a few decent saves. Moore missed a big chance when he was through 1 on 1, he has to be working the keeper at the very least and if scores he seals the points. Then the penalty call, we lose our heads and within a minute we've gone from 3 points to fuck all.

Shite day all round really with the way the fans were treated and with us blowing a huge chance to open up a 9 point gap on United. If we do get European football it looks like we're going to have to do it the hard way.

Two big games coming up against Celtic and in particular Dundee United.

Definitely won't set foot in that shitehole after the treatment today. Stopped and searched numerous times on the way to the stadium and when I refused to give ma name, he took my wallet claiming he had reason to believe I was hiding either drugs or pyrotechnics in it, is that even legal? He never even searched my wallet, just took my drivers license out, scribbled the details and gave it back to me.

Definitely won't set foot in that shitehole after the treatment today. Stopped and searched numerous times on the way to the stadium and when I refused to give ma name, he took my wallet claiming he had reason to believe I was hiding either drugs or pyrotechnics in it, is that even legal? He never even searched my wallet, just took my drivers license out, scribbled the details and gave it back to me.

Who searched you mate?

Police or steward ?

If police a wee letter to Chief Constable Mr House should clear the matter up.... they must have reasonable grounds for suspecting that they will find these things.......

Were you of your tits? Did you have a rocket in your pocket? or do you posses a rather big wallet ?:whistling:

If all of the above answers are no......cant see any excuse for going through yer wallet or were you driving hence the driving licence check :laugh:

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights via proxy on youtube and Brines should never ref a match again for giving that pen. It clearly comes of Micks head ffs and was obviously a guess on his part after the shouts from the crowd! No wonder McCall was fuming.

Some absolute shocking defending right enough, and Saints looked good value for a least a point with Gunner making a few good saves. Looked like if he just stuck out a leg he could have saved the pen and the winner went on from a very tight angle right enough but from the highlights he kept us in it.

As soon as we conceded just before half time I though here we go again!

Just watched the highlights via proxy on youtube and Brines should never ref a match again for giving that pen.

As Andre Marriner is getting to referee a cup semi final after sending off the wrong man, I don't think Brines has much to worry for mistaking a forehead and an arm.

Who searched you mate?

Police or steward ?

If police a wee letter to Chief Constable Mr House should clear the matter up.... they must have reasonable grounds for suspecting that they will find these things.......

Were you of your tits? Did you have a rocket in your pocket? or do you posses a rather big wallet ?:whistling:

If all of the above answers are no......cant see any excuse for going through yer wallet or were you driving hence the driving licence check :laugh:

Police. Completely sober, purposely didn't drink much today because I had an idea they'd be out to antagonize people or look for reasons to arrest people. How much did that cost the taxpayer today? Completely disproportionate police presence.

If the police give you a reason for a stop and search you have to identify yourself, it's illegal to withhold your identity and you can be charged if you don't provide an identity.

If the police stop you you should always give your identity, other wise you don't have a leg to stand on in terms of making a complaint.

• Like 1

Police. Completely sober, purposely didn't drink much today because I had an idea they'd be out to antagonize people or look for reasons to arrest people. How much did that cost the taxpayer today? Completely disproportionate police presence.

Well there ye go mate..........Why are they looking in your wallet ???? Complain in writing and see what happens!

If the police give you a reason for a stop and search you have to identify yourself, it's illegal to withhold your identity and you can be charged if you don't provide an identity.

If the police stop you you should always give your identity, other wise you don't have a leg to stand on in terms of making a complaint.

Where do you live Crimea........China ?

Unless youre suspected of committing an offence or the police officer believes that you have witnessed a possible offence you do not have to provide your details

If you refuse to provide your details after you have been told by the police what you are suspected of doing it is an offence you could be charged with.

If you refuse to provide your details when you have witnessed an offence being committed you can be charged for refusing to provide this information.

It is not an offence to enter a football ground and refuse to give your name,even when you are searched under the grounds conditions of entry

Unless you have committed an offence Ie possession of drugs/alcohol etc etc !

Where do you live Crimea........China ?

Unless youre suspected of committing an offence or the police officer believes that you have witnessed a possible offence you do not have to provide your details

If you refuse to provide your details after you have been told by the police what you are suspected of doing it is an offence you could be charged with.

The police can stop anyone and question them on their actions. Under those circumstances you do not have to provide identification.

However, the guy stated the police believed him to be carrying drugs or pyrotechnics, therefore the police suspected him of a possible offence.

The police identified why they were conducting a stop and search and under those circumstances you have to provide identity.

Look at your own post for confirmation.