St Mirren V Motherwell 05/04/14

Bop

I posted earlier that I believe it's the cardinal sin in football (in my opinion) to lose a game you were 2-0 up in, but I'm struggling to think of the last time we actually were guilty of it.

I believe we may even have to go back as the mid 90's and a game v Partick Thistle at Fir Park?

We did throwaway at 2 goal lead 3 times v Utd in the infamous 5-4 game round about 2006.....

Penalty decision was scandalous though and as much as I thought we were poor all game, McCall s right, it really did cost us 3 points.

My heart sank when I saw Brines coming on at ht. Bottled it in not sending Goodwin off for second bookable offence as well. Ineptitude personified. He's had it in for us for years.

I genuinely hate Scottish referee's. The old adage of it evens out over the season is complete baws.. Well for us this year. We have seriously not had the rub of the green at all.

That's a few games in St Mirrens favour that the former Paisley based/raised/worked in for years Iain Brines has had... Coincidence... I know I sound like a paranoid 10yr old but Mr B is well known to have a soft spot for that club... Utter cunt that he is...

Oohh I don't think we deserve to win yesterday tbh but to lose a 2 goal lead and a late winner to that mob.. St Mirren of all fucking teams.....

I posted earlier that I believe it's the cardinal sin in football (in my opinion) to lose a game you were 2-0 up in, but I'm struggling to think of the last time we actually were guilty of it.

I believe we may even have to go back as the mid 90's and a game v Partick Thistle at Fir Park?

We did throwaway at 2 goal lead 3 times v Utd in the infamous 5-4 game round about 2006.....

Penalty decision was scandalous though and as much as I thought we were poor all game, McCall s right, it really did cost us 3 points.

My heart sank when I saw Brines coming on at ht. Bottled it in not sending Goodwin off for second bookable offence as well. Ineptitude personified. He's had it in for us for years.

St Mirren in the disaster of a season we had under malpas. Last home game of the season season books thrown on the pitch etc

Brines is a dodgy cunt. Always has been. I remember back in the early 90`s when he was in the RAF in Kinloss he was a regular ref for the Forres Welfare. He was booked to ref 2 cup semi`s on the same sunday as we were short of Refs and he was a hound for the pound, 1 in Forres at 2 + 1 in Kinloss at 4, when he was asked what we would do if the first game went to extra time or pens he allegedly just laughed + said, the first game wont go to extra time, allegedy

Shite game, shite ref, and even more shite treatment from the stewards/police at St Mirren. Won't be back.

4 police horses, 3sniffer dugs and 2 matalan casuals wi earpieces in sittin in front of us...wit the fuck game was i at yday...millwall v chelsea?????

Twice bitten, thrice shy?

Writing was on the wall earlier in the season that you wouldn't get treated right there.

I can't understand why we can engineer police free games at FP and then we go away and get treated like this. I'd claim police intelligence was behind things but as OnTheFringes has conveyed previously, these two words don't go hand in hand as often as we assume or like.

It would appear the division which handles Paisley has a particularly zealous match commander(s), in future vote with you feet and spend your cash on grounds where the clubs work hand in hand to improve the atmosphere. But remember to let St. Mirren know that's the case, otherwise its fruitless.

Back to the game, watched the highlights there, going on that to get out of there with a 2-1 win would have been possibly fortunate? Doesn't take away from a woeful decision from Brines. I will never know why Linesmen aren't consulted more often.

Essentially, we've rode our luck on a few occasions and got points we maybe shouldn't have. 2nd is still achievable, we merely share points with a team that is by and large better than ours with a game in hand. 3 points yesterday would have given confidence, its now ensured squeeky bum time and hoping for other results in the run in, part and parcel of being a dosser though isn't it? Another issue is Dundee Utd blow hot and cold, issue is its generally been hot recently.

I seem to have a bit more sympathy for the team than many who have posted so far. That game was dying on its arse until Brines intervention with the penalty award. St Mirren had shot their bolt long since and we were as comfortable as we'd been at any point in the game at that stage until the penalty.

Criticise us for losing composure after that? Certainly. But it was a massive game changing fuck up of a decision from Brines that turned the game on its head. He had a pretty desperate forty-five minutes riddled with mistakes and inconsistencies. Aside from the penalty let's not forget how he bottled the second booking for Goodwin. Or the double standards that saw him pull up Motherwell players for time-wasting but let St Mirren players do exactly the same without it seemingly being a problem any longer. And he obviously took exception to what was being said to him by some players after the penalty because it was just foul after foul after foul against Motherwell for very little after that.

First half I thought we looked pretty threatening going forward and scored two cracking goals. Saints looked threatening from set-pieces but weren't creating anything much in open play. They had passed up a couple of decent chances and it wasn't a great surprise when they pulled one back. Disappointing we couldn't have seen it out until the break.

They were well on top for the first 20 odd minutes of the second half, where Nielsen had a couple of good saves, but we looked to have weathered the storm and seemed pretty comfortable. Had Ainsworth's shot gone in or Craig Moore taken his chance it was game over. And then Mr Brines played his decisive role...

It's a bloody frustrating scoreline and it rankles that with a break there won't be an immediate opportunity for the players to use the frustration in a positive way by looking to bounce right back.

As usual Andy P is the voice of reason and calls it right.

We have many frailties as a team. We all know what they are but it is unrealistic to expect anything different on our budget. We have a small threadbare squad on its arse with injuries at the minute and guys playing through the pain barrier to get a team on the park. Taking that all into account I thought our performance was good yesterday.

St Mirren didnt create many real problems for us from open play yesterday especially in the first half. Set plays were a problem, but given Hutch is so influential for us there and called off so late, its no shocker.

For all we didnt dominate the game, we created far more clear cut chances than they did and we could have had the game finished in the first half at 2-0 then again in the second half at 2-1 with Ainsworth and Moore. Had we done so, we wouldnt be talking about Brines, but we didnt and we are.

Goodwin should've walked. Danny Lennon clearly agreed given he substituted him directly after to ensure he didnt give Brines another opportunity.

There was a clear foul in the lead up to the penalty when a St Mirren player took one of out guys out in mid air right in front of Brines.

The handball decision is a joke.

Then there's Wyldes kick at Vigurs on the touchline which is a straight red these days.

So, while we had many deficiencies on the day, we still deserved to win the game and would have without the intervention of the man in black. Interestingly, I barely noticed Euan Norris in the first half which in itself speaks volumes.

Given all of that, Im delighted that our manager has come out so strongly in defence of our club. If he hadnt Im sure he would have been roundly criticised on here for staying silent.

Yesterday was a sore one, however, with 2 weeks rest, hopefully we can clear the injury list a bit and get ready for what promises to be an exciting run in.

Brines is a dodgy cunt. Always has been. I remember back in the early 90`s when he was in the RAF in Kinloss he was a regular ref for the Forres Welfare. He booked himself to ref 2 cup semi`s on the same sunday as we were short of Refs and he was a hound for the pound, 1 in Forres at 2 + 1 in Kinloss at 4, when he was asked what we would do if the first game went to extra time or pens he just laughed + said, the first game wont go to extra time il guarantee that.

Think we should be careful here, this post is basically accusing Brines of match fixing. As much as I dislike his performance yesterday and other ones over the years this could be libellous.

As usual Andy P is the voice of reason and calls it right.

You can always rely on Andy to put it all into perspective. thumbup.gif Yesterday was frustrating, however, what’s done is done and we move on to the next game. Hopefully we can get some players back fit and well for that one.

The award of that penalty yesterday was as clear an example of match fixing as you're ever likely to see and he and it would appear that he has previous.

Utter nonsense. It was a poor decision, nothing more, nothing less.

It is an absolute cop out to blame yesterday's defeat on the referee because yet again we surrendered a 2-0 lead and yet again we were all over the place defensively and if you sit back and invite the opposition to come at you and fire cross after cross into the box and don't clear your lines then you're asking for trouble and we paid the price yesterday.

Sure Brines had a shocking 45 minutes but ultimately if you can't defend then you don't win matches so we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

The award of that penalty yesterday was as clear an example of match fixing as you're ever likely to see and he and it would appear that he has previous.

Big difference between incompetence and corruption. Unless you have hard and fast evidence it is the latter, you need to accept it is the former.

• Like 1

I think a few on here are questioning why when Brines referees our games his cock ups always seem to go against us. how he can give that penalty yesterday and not the one for Vigurs up at ICT early in the season. He is not corrupt or a match fixer but i would like to see what he would have done if that had been in St Mirren box in 86 minutes. Sadly i think we wll know that answer.

Every team has bad decisions such as the perfectly legit goal for Hibs in the recent Edinburgh derby which was flagged for offside when he was yards onside.

Just seems we have been on the end of a few this season. Let us hope that is the last time this season.

we move on.

St Mirren in the disaster of a season we had under malpas. Last home game of the season season books thrown on the pitch etc

'Here, have my season ticket that's worth nothing to me now, that'll teach you.'

Misconstruing the events. An argument rolled out time after time

It wasn't a statement about have my worthless used up season ticket.

It was - if you don't get rid of this cunt I won't be buying another one.

That's not that difficult to understand I don't think

• Like 2

highlights up on the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/26913880

clearly ball to face from one angle, if ref didn't see it he cannot give it

Brines indicates to one of our players he got a shout in earpiece from someone.....

usual highlights gloss over and just miss out other major incidents

Just watched the higlights online...feckin ridiculous decision for the pen not even close and how Brines can award it from where he was is beyond belief..that arse should never get to referee any game ever again.

As for the 3rd...Gunnar beaten at his near post..thats poor stuff

That's one of the worst penalties I've ever seen in terms of where it was placed. I'd never thought I'd expect a keeper to do better with a penalty but .....

For their 3rd the ball went straight under him from the tightest of angles. You're really looking for the keeper to stop a shot from there.

Sutton lost his man defending a corner once again at their first goal. Lost his man for the recent goals conceded to Hearts and Ross County also.

I know the penalty decision is horrendous, but we didn't do ourselves any favours here, and it's the same mistakes over and over again.

Sutton lost his man defending a corner once again at their first goal. Lost his man for the recent goals conceded to Hearts and Ross County also.

the 2nd hibs goal as well. i said earlier in the thread he should be left up the park, teams are picking on him at set pieces.

every team we come up against knows that if they put the ball on the six yard line the keeper won't go near it so we have 3 or 4 guys trying to attack that area every time we are defending a corner. if hammell's reaction to nielsen at the goal is anything to go by the players are as frustrated as we are.

Think we should be careful here, this post is basically accusing Brines of match fixing. As much as I dislike his performance yesterday and other ones over the years this could be libellous.

very true, didnt think before posting, original post modified

I was fully expecting to lose against St Mirren. But to lose to them in that manner just brought back memories of sitting in the east stand watching that game under Malpas. It just reminded me why i fucking hate St Mirren and hope they end up going down in the play offs.

So to summarise, you hate St Mirren because we often play crap against them?