The Last Five Games

DEWELL

Most times this season we have come up against a "must win" scenario, we have failed.

We are 3 or 4 places higher in the league than we probably have a right to be given our situation at the start of the season and our injury situation during the season.

In my most optimistic moments at the start of the season, I thought 5th or 6th would have been most likely. To be sitting in 3rd with a realistic chance of Europe means we must have been winning enough of the "must win" games to have kept us there.

While 2nd would be a hell of an achievement, it sounds like a fair few on here are thinking that not finishing 2nd would be some kind of failure.

• Like 1

I think 2nd is going to be just out of reach now after the last couple of results. If we can get 7 points before we play Aberdeen then I would hope that would be enough for 3rd and if we are able to beat the sheep for 2nd on the final day then that would be tremendous.

But at the end of the day 3rd place would be a brilliant season all in. Finishing 4th though after our league position for most of the season and the poor cup performances would be disappointing for the fans and financially

While 2nd would be a hell of an achievement, it sounds like a fair few on here are thinking that not finishing 2nd would be some kind of failure.

I don't think not finishing 2nd would be a failure but I do think not finishing 3rd after being in the top 3 since December and then slipping away at the death would be a failure of sorts. Not a terrible failure but still a failure.

The start of the season was the start of the season. This is the end of the season and we have the chance to at least claim 3rd and possibly better.

It's there to be played for, so let's play for it.

Don't disagree - it was the talk of "we never win our must win games" that got me going again. Given that in the last 2 seasons we finished 3rd and then 2nd, and we're sitting in 3rd again - how the hell do we manage that if we never win our key matches?

We'll get points from games we don't expect and drop points, again, at ones we think are sure things. Same thing happens every post split run in.

Exactly the same for every other team. Aberdeen have only taken 6 points out of a possible 12 in the last 4 games. There will be more twists and turns before the jaunt to Pittodrie, and we may see ourselves still in the running for 2nd at that point.

Exactly the same for every other team. Aberdeen have only taken 6 points out of a possible 12 in the last 4 games. There will be more twists and turns before the jaunt to Pittodrie, and we may see ourselves still in the running for 2nd at that point.

Agree with both of you. I think there are quite a few on here assuming that we are going to be dropping points all over the place and that Dundee Utd and Aberdeen are going to be racking them up. The way the teams are I think the last 5 rounds of games are very unpredictable. Who knows how celtic are going to see out the season and while I think that St Johnstone and Inverness are not going to finish in the top 4 they could play a significant part in deciding who finshes 2nd 3rd and 4th. The 2 week rest may possibly be a bigger benefit to us than other teams. But regardless, we are by no means out of the race for second and in a good position to finish 3rd. Could we hav ebeen better off? Of course we could but then again every other team could say the same.

I'm not expecting more than 4. I'd be amazed if we got more than 6.

Probably in agreement with this.

I'm glad we got St. Johnstone at home as that's the only way I see us beating them. - 3pts.

I feel a draw with ICT is due for us. - 1 pt.

Celtic I can't see use beating. - 0 pts.

United have had the beating of us all season, they know how to deal with us - 0 pts

Aberdeen, fuck knows how it will pan out, but with it away I'm edging towards a defeat. 0 pts.

Nevertheless, overall I think the team and the manager have did exceptional to get to the 60 point mark with 5 matches remaining.

to finish second we obviously need to take 4 more points than aberdeen which sounds tricky but we only need one more than them in the next four games to keep it alive on the final day which would be an achievement in itself.

we only managed 2 out of 15 points after getting to the scottish cup final so if mcinnes and mcnamara follow mccall's example of playing a different defence in each of the final fixtures we could be in with a chance.

Just read the thread through for the first time and in terms of points I'm thinking six, those coming in the home fixtures against St Johnstone and Inverness.

It's the discussion towards the end of the thread though which was what immediately came to mind that being what exactly do we view as a success.

Now it goes without saying that you obviously want to finish as high up the table as possible, so ofcourse we want to finish 2nd. The players will want to finish 2nd and ofcourse in terms of finance the club will want us to finish second.

But personally when the dust settles whether it's 2nd, 3rd or 4th we finish, if we've qualified for Europe then I'll be more than chuffed with that. If however given where we were about half past four on Saturday and we don't make Europe then that is really going to hurt.

The last five games certainly has the potential to test the bottle of us punters. It's not beyond the realms that we could go into the third fixture behind Dundee Utd in fourth place which I fear would send some on here into a "crap"- "pants" meltdown...

But first things first. United and Aberdeen to win their Semi Finals to give us the potential "luxury" of 4th place giving us Europe and then into the manky lot a week on Saturday!!

But personally when the dust settles whether it's 2nd, 3rd or 4th we finish, if we've qualified for Europe then I'll be more than chuffed with that. If however given where we were about half past four on Saturday and we don't make Europe then that is really going to hurt.

But first things first. United and Aberdeen to win their Semi Finals to give us the potential "luxury" of 4th place giving us Europe and then into the manky lot a week on Saturday!!

Finishing lower than 3rd would be a disappointment both in terms of defining the season and club finances. But I do agree that 4th and Europe would still represent an excellent season. I doubt any of us realistically thought Europe would be achievable after the 1st team players that left last summer.

If United and Aberdeen get into the Cup final or Aberdeen and Rangers (given they are barred) then that would give us a little more breathing space. Also would be interesting to see what both of those teams do in the week before the cup final.

St Johnstone are decent at home so there is no guarantee that United will win that game. I am expecting us to be level on 60 points with United after 2 games, but who knows. We could take a point of Celtic or perhaps more realistically we do not lose or win up at Tannadice. Then we have 2 more winnable home games to come...

Exciting (in a pant wetting way) and all to play for...

The last five games certainly has the potential to test the bottle of us punters.

I was absolutely gutted on Monday after Aberdeen beat Hibs so I'd extend that sentiment to many other games beside our own last 5.

Personally, I think it's fantastic and exactly why I put time and money into football. We've been in the driving seat going into the last two seasons' splits which is great but given the changes in our squad and how impressive Aberdeen and Dundee United can be the challenge couldn't be tougher this time round.

Hopefully it will equate to some decent attendances home and away.

Don't disagree - it was the talk of "we never win our must win games" that got me going again. Given that in the last 2 seasons we finished 3rd and then 2nd, and we're sitting in 3rd again - how the hell do we manage that if we never win our key matches?

aye but when teams are on a losing streak they always break it against us, and don't even get me started about when we're live on TV or have a big support

• Like 1

1397079143[/url]' post='409074']

If Lasley and Hammell are missing I'm not too hopeful of getting points from Celtic.

6 points would be good, 7 points better, more than 7 points excellent.

Only Lasley is suspended. (And Carsewell for the first League Cup match next season)

• 1 month later...

Im DELIGHTED to say i couldn't have been more wrong about my expectations. This is a special group of players and a special manager who after severe setbacks as we've had from time to time this season come back time and time again and to win our last 3 games against top 6 teams is simply wonderfull. :thumbup:

• Like 2

I'd be hoping for 8 points.

I think we will lose away to Utd so I think we really need to get something off Celtic before we go up there.

I'd hope to beat St. Johnstone and Inverness at home and a draw away to Aberdeen.

Hope you took the bookies to the cleaners :cheers:

Thought we'd win 4 and draw at Tannadice. Huge credit to bounce back after that defeat with 3 wins to take us second. Marvellous.

Im DELIGHTED to say i couldn't have been more wrong about my expectations. This is a special group of players and a special manager who after severe setbacks as we've had from time to time this season come back time and time again and to win our last 3 games against top 6 teams is simply wonderfull. :thumbup:

you are always wrong

• Like 2