Motherwell V Celtic 19/04/14

Yabba's Turd

Wonder how many of Higdons tally came in the league. Big Sutton has did a fantastic job coming in and taking on the number 9 role. Plus he's handsome as fuck. Be good to see a bit more of Leitch for the remainder of the season.

Higdon got 26 in the league and scored the penalty against Aberdeen in the Scottish cup.

Sutton needs 5 more to equal Higdon or 6 to beat it.

Bit of an ask but he's got 12 goals in the last 15 matches so he's finishing the season in good form but even if he doesn't score again he's had a great season.

Bit of an ask but he's got 12 goals in the last 15 matches so he's finishing the season in good form but even if he doesn't score again he's had a great season.

Aye, after we lost Higdon, I think we'd all have been happy to take 20+ goals from his replacement.

Fucking brilliant. Young Leitch had a great game and everyone else played their part. Well done gunnar with that pen save.

If we are going to pick flaws, then McCall should have made those subs with 15mins to go. Two fast direct players when Celtic were playing with 4strikers. Instead we wait till we were down. Once he makes the subs, ainsworth makes the equaliser.

Anyway, only a small moan, i'll gladly take the point. If St J can get three points against United it will be a really good day.

hard to say really, Celtic may have scored more if ainsworth had come on earlier but as it turned out, not bad day really!

Have to say, I thought we were fantastic today and McCall got his tactics spot on. Every player played their role well, as said previous the only downside was I felt having put a lot into the game fresh legs could have been on sooner. Then again I was shouting on Sutton to come off cause he looked done so what the fuck to I know!

Firstly, great credit to two guys that have their fair share of critics in Nielsen and ZFA. I think both had their best performances in a Motherwell strip today. Nielsen made several good saves and the penalty save is as good as you'll see, a fucking tremendous save at a crucial point in the game. Still has a fair bit to do to win over the support but today was a good start and hopefully he can take confidence and build from this. I was critical of ZFA a few weeks ago but the boy showed today what he can offer. Pace, power, energy and was delighted to see him nick a goal. Everyone was terrific to be fair though. Anier put in a fucking tremendous shift and gave the Celtic centre backs a torrid time. Big John does what he does with another two goals, I could kiss the big handsome bastard after that goal.

Man of the match was Jack Leitch. What a wonderful midfield display from such a young man, some of his passes and bits of skills were tremendous to watch and he put in a few cracking tackles as well. Still only 18 isn't he? Big future for this boy.

Typical Motherwell, you think they have no chance and they pull out a performance that makes you proud to be a 'Well fan. Credit to McCall and the boys, was a very entertaining game and what an important point that could turn out to be.

• Like 2

What a game that was. Wasn't looking forward to game at all but the team were outstanding. Right from the first whistle we were in about them and started at a great pace which i think showed towards the end. Every player knew there job and gave it everything which is all you can ask for as a supporter. Thought the penalty was soft but was at the other side of the ground but what a save from gunnar, didnt fancy his chances at all but im quite happy to be proved wrong.

The goal before half time was a killer blow for us in terms of winning the game, had we got in at half time 2-0 its a completely different game. At the time i was raging at us throwing away another 2 goal lead i think in hindsight its not fair to compare this today to what happened at easter road for example. Celtic a far better team than hibs and are champions for a reason so they are always liable to come back. However the spirit of our team to comeback after losing a late goal was superb.

All in all a good point, and a point in which i didn't us getting before the game, so therefore a bonus. Thought Leitch was outstanding, also have to say i thought Gunnar and ZFA had probably there best game for us. The work rate of Sutton and Anier was first class and spread through the whole team. Hopefully can kick on with a massive game at tannadice next week.

Also special mention for the Well Bois in the east stand today, Thought the were tremendous, as usual, and brought a cracking atmosphere to the game.

• Like 1

One of those' feels like a win' equalisers. Incredible character shown by the team to come back after another two goal lead goal been lost. And with Aberdeen and Inverness drawing and United losing it's been a fine couple of days for us.

I think it was either on Facebook or Twitter on the way over but someone made a telling remark along the lines our players being greater as a team than the sum of their individual parts. That was surely embodied in the way we played, lined up and eventually got our reward today,

I made a joking remark about "total football" given the way at one point today we had a right-back in centre-midfield, a left-back in a back three, a left-back at right-mid and a centre-forward at left-mid. It sounds mental but it completely summed up the way went about our business. Everybody just got beasted right in and did whatever was asked of them wherever it was required, they worked their arses off and we used the footballing qualities that we do have to great effect.

Couldn't have asked for a better start. Bit more composure and we could have been further ahead too with Leitch and Anier's chances. Wonderful save from Gunnar from the penalty. It was fantastic to get the second but galling that like Easter Road and like at Paisley we couldn't see out the two goal advantage until half-time. However well we'd played and done, it was difficult to suppress that horrible feeling that it would come back and bite us.

Yet despite Celtic having a good bit more of it in the second half we continued to threaten. The one off the line second seconds before they equalised was a sickener. And we still looked as dangerous in their box as they did in ours as the game wore on.

Like a few I suspected it was too little too late when the substitutions were made but what an impact from Ainsworth to set up Sutty for the equaliser and sparked as good a jumparound in the East Stand as there's been for a while.

Absolutely delighted with the point and the team were a credit to themselves. Great afternoon's work!

Great battling performance from a severely depleted side. Now only 1 win away from beating last seasons total after a total rebuild and injury ravaged season. Utterly remarkable. McCall should get the freedom of Lanarkshire.

That performance will have done the confidence the world of good. If we could get just 1 or 2 players back fit we will be looking good for the run in.

United next week looks huge now!

• Like 2

Forgot to add. Mccall pointed out three teams have taken 3goals off celtic this season.... Barcelona, milan and the 'well!!

They highlighted that on Sky as well.

Quite a statistic. Exalted company indeed!

Fantastic display from every player in a 'Well shirt . One of those proud to be a 'Well fan days where I was expecting the worst while hoping for the best .

Special mention for Nielsen , ZFA , and especially Leitch who belied his youth throughout with a very accomplished performance .

Show the same effort , commitment , and enthusiasm in the remaining fixtures that we did today and we'll be in the hat for Europa qualifiers no probs ,

I think it was either on Facebook or Twitter on the way over but someone made a telling remark along the lines our players being greater as a team than the sum of their individual parts. That was surely embodied in the way we played, lined up and eventually got our reward today,

Insightful patter from whoever that was....

• Like 1

Neil Lennon really is a horrid little man here is a couple of his after match thoughts.

Quote "a draw wasn't a fair result "

Quote "second half we totally dominated the match"

Aye the second half we were ripping through their defence, the number of 1-2s that were played were excellent!

I don't think there's any doubt that Celtic had the majority of the possession in the second half, but they had to clear off their own line twice, and required a cracking stop from Forster to keep Anier off the scoresheet. But expecting humility from Neil Lennon is like expecting Osama Bin Laden to sing the Star-Spangled Banner.

Cracking match though, and some immense performances front back to front. Nielsen made a fantastic save from the penalty, and put in a decent performance throughout. The back three all made some crucial stops, and big Hutchy must have banged his head as he was storming through the middle of the park. Hammell especially seemed to be just about everywhere in the first half. Reid and Kerr were both solid, and stuck to their jobs well, while young Jack Leitch was simply brilliant.

Delighted at the result, and glad that we didn't lose another match from a winning position. That point today is a bonus in the fight for third, hopefully we can build on that and catch Aberdeen when they slip up again, which they will.

A massive well done to everyone in claret and amber today. That performance fully merited the result, and the players and manager should all be proud of themselves tonight.

• Like 1

Some game.

Another fine performance from a makeshift team against those cunts.

Agree with that..they were there for the taking today ..it felt like 2 points dropped but any result to get it right up that mob is good..

A feckin awesome performance from all the team today

I don't think there's any doubt that Celtic had the majority of the possession in the second half, but they had to clear off their own line twice, and required a cracking stop from Forster to keep Anier off the scoresheet. But expecting humility from Neil Lennon is like expecting Osama Bin Laden to sing the Star-Spangled Banner.

Pretty much.

Nielsen had a good save from Samaras in the 2nd half but as I remember it that was it apart from the goals. It's not like they cracked a few off the bar and post, had others cleared off the line or our goalkeepers had to pull off worldies.

Everything else was high, wide, defended or routine for the keeper and we could easily have scored four in the second half ourselves including the one we did get.

Think over the course of the match we were the better team, Celtic dominated between half time and their equalizer but we came more into again after that.

Not been many times recently I've seen us create so many genuine chances to score against Celtic.