Motherwell V Celtic 19/04/14

Yabba's Turd

Johansen's comments. Not as bad as headline suggests - just upset the,y didn't get their own way. Still a cunt. (From The Scotsman)

by ALAN PATTULLO

Published on the

21 April

00:52

1 comments

Print this

Celtic midfielder Stefan Johansen might not like the way Motherwell play, but he believes they are capable of securing second-place ahead of Aberdeen. John Sutton’s late equaliser on Saturday secured a point for Motherwell against the champions and keeps them within three points of Aberdeen.

On his first visit to Fir Park, Johansen learned why Celtic have often experienced problems on trips to the stadium. “Motherwell is a good team and all respect to them,” he said. “They didn’t give up and of course they were leading 2-0 at one stage. We were down but came back.

“I still think we should’ve won,” he added, with substitute Leigh Griffiths scoring with just five minutes left to put Celtic ahead. “I don’t like the way they [Motherwell] play, I prefer how we play. But we didn’t do it for 90 minutes. I believe if we’d done so then we would’ve won the game.”

“I think Motherwell and Aberdeen are two good teams,” Johansen added. “I believe it [second place] will be definitely come from one of those two. But then Dundee United are also very good. I rate them the three best other teams. It will be a close race.”

Johansen qualified the “don’t like the way they play” comment by explaining that he thought the hosts should have shown more ambition since they were playing at home. “They are at their home ground and they have 11 guys 20, 30 metres back,” he said. That’s not my type of football, I don’t like that. But all credit to them. They succeeded with that against us. I know it’s difficult to play against Celtic. But we just need to handle it and we didn’t do it well for 
90 minutes. It was only for 45 and that is not enough for Celtic.”

Johansen admitted manager Neil Lennon had taken the players to task at half-time and then thrown them back out several minutes early. “The manager made things clear to us at half-time,” he smiled. “We all knew we hadn’t played well in the first-half and it was just a case of getting together and start doing things better in the second-half. We did that.”

Motherwell striker Henri Anier complained about the lack of plaudits being granted to his side, despite another strong season. “Maybe we are a little bit undervalued,” he said. “I’ve heard a lot about Aberdeen and Dundee United, but not really a lot about us. That could be a good thing, to keep things quiet and just show what we can do by where we finish at the end of the season. I think that could well be second. I’m still confident we can finish second.”

“The manager [stuart McCall] has done a brilliant job, with [assistant] Kenny Black and the board,” he added. “A lot of important players left in the summer, but the manager got new players and we have done well. Would he be in contention for manager of the year awards? Definitely.”

Anier also singled out strike partner Sutton, who now has 22 goals for the season after scoring twice on Saturday. “John Sutton should be regarded one of the best in the country,” he said. “Both of us have a chemistry and he deserves to be around the player of the year awards with his scoring a lot of goals.”

Anier suggested he could even do a good job for Celtic, who finished with four five forwards on the park on Saturday. “Every striker could do well for Celtic because you have a good team behind you and John could do well for them, too,” said the Estonian. “John is so consistent and he’s a great guy on and off the pitch. He’s a great character.”

How is the boy Reid doing? From various social media sites seems like he appears to be doing well, although the usual suspects on here don't seem to rate him. Worthy of a contract at the end of the season?

In my book he's done a great job. No world beater but I'd pull out all the stops to sign him (but not breaking the bank to do so). He's looked good in virtually in all the games in which he's participated and displayed strength of character. He can play right back, centre midfield and centre back - just the kind of versatility we require with our small squad. He can show a fair turn of speed on the overlap.

My early impressions have been confirmed in that he's a better right back than Tom Hately.

On the debit side he's a bit raw in some regards despite his age but that can be worked on.

I'd rate him above Simon Ramsden in terms of reliability. Whilst I've a lot of time for Ramsden he came to us with a poor injury record and has missed a fair games both last season and this.

Played very well against Celtic and helped set up the 3rd goal as well as doing a lot to snuff out Celtic's attacking midfield threat.

By no means perfect but fine at our level - currently upper half of SPFL.

if there moaning about us being physical we're doing something right. We should be letting dundee united know we're up for it early next week as well, we'll see how many of them are thinking about the cup final.

I don't know about that. United are possibly the most physical team in the SPFL and have been since Craig Levein's days. One thing is for sure, John Porteous will be a busy man after Saturday irrespective of the scoreline. They're not an easy side to play against and know just how to work referees. We should go out to give 100% and nothing less but if we go out to be physical it'll be a bloodbath and we'll come off second best.

Those who like their football physical will really savour this season's cup final as St Johnstone can also be very "robust".

On a couple of points above.

For me Reid has been an inspired signing by McCall (yet again). Had big Mick not signed for us then he would have joined us earlier. People can point to his flaws, but as I state time and again if any player we had in our ranks had no weaknesses then they would be at Real Madrid and not Motherwell....

I have been very impressed by him. He is capable of playing in many positions which for a team with a small squad is invaluable. He can also play decent football as evidenced by his pass for our 3rd goal and is quite quick. So yes I would like for us to sign him on a 2 yr deal.

Gunnar - outstanding penalty save. One of the best I have ever seen by a Motherwell goalkeeper. He was fairly solid all round at the weekend and hopefully that will give him some confidence ahead of Dundee United. We have him for another year and I would be looking to replace Hollis at the end of the season.

As for the Celtic penalty. Thomson could not wait to blow his whistle. In fact I swear he did it before Stokes hits the deck. A very soft penalty and one we 100% would not have got at the other end of the pitch.

Overall I was v impressed with the team and work-rate on Saturday. We deserved a point and played some nice football at times. Hopefully we can take that on to next Saturday and put in a decent performance against a team that have the better of us this season..

• Like 1

Credit where its due,ive called big Gunnar pish and still believe he is one of the poorest in the league. But that pen save was 1 of the best ive seen in a long long time and he was solid throughout! Hopefully he can keep it up for the next 5 games and make up a bit for being shite the rest of the season

1398082676[/url]' post='409446']

Credit where its due,ive called big Gunnar pish and still believe he is one of the poorest in the league. But that pen save was 1 of the best ive seen in a long long time and he was solid throughout! Hopefully he can keep it up for the next 5 games and make up a bit for being shite the rest of the season

Yup, done enough to keep the gloves for the next game even with Hollis back on the bench.

Did we not get a soft penalty when we beat them 2 - 0 at Fir Park in McCall's early days in charge?

at 0-0 In Murphs last game at Celtic park, we got a penalty when Murph himself ran in on goal (argued by them, most of us thought it was legit)

and at the end of the season maybe the last ever Rangers vs Motherwell game we were given a penalty as Murph went down, was 'soft' at best

edit might not have been last game pre liquidation, but was end of season game maybe last time we scored to gain a point or something?

at 0-0 In Murphs last game at Celtic park, we got a penalty when Murph himself ran in on goal (argued by them, most of us thought it was legit)

The reason I mentioned it is because I heard McCall talk about a soft pen we won in one of our victories over Celtic, but wasn't sure which one he was talking about.

2 mins 10 into that video. ojamma played for it but it wasn't one of his more blatant dives.

Eh no, Mulgrew clipped his heels and the penalty was correctly awarded.

Far more likely McCall was talking about the one Lasley won in the 2-0 game a few years ago when he went down under minimal contact.

A very assured performance by big Gunnar. After all the criticism for his poor showings over the course of his spell here, a hefty dose of praise is due his way. Despite conceding 3, there wasn't a great deal he could have done with any of the goals.

I thought it was a cracking save at the game but watching the highlights has only confirmed that.

Nielsen did well on Saturday but he would have a far higher reputation with our fans if he had that level of performance every week.

How is the boy Reid doing? From various social media sites seems like he appears to be doing well, although the usual suspects on here don't seem to rate him. Worthy of a contract at the end of the season?

Been really impressed with him.

Solid right back with some decent pace going forward. Didnt look out of place in midfield on Saturday either. Good enough for our level I would say.

If Hutch goes Id be more than happy to keep him on and move Ramsden back into the middle.

:lol:

I don't see how anyone can even debate it. Daft from Vigurs, quality from big Gunnar.

What about Samaras? Haven't seen either again but looked 'stonewall' at the game!

All this "going down, then Vigurs touched him". Utter nonsense this games turning into. Maybe if the ref had got his card out for a dive earlier he wouldn't 'gone down' as easy.

Football, not Hetrippedmeball.

and at the end of the season maybe the last ever Rangers vs Motherwell game we were given a penalty as Murph went down, was 'soft' at best

edit might not have been last game pre liquidation, but was end of season game maybe last time we scored to gain a point or something?

It was after the 6-6 game, we were 3-1 down and came back to 3-3 with a penalty in the last minute. I only saw it on tv but it looked like a blatant dive by Murphy.

edit: found this on youtube:

[yt]

[/yt]