Motherwell V Celtic 19/04/14

Yabba's Turd

It was the last game of the season and following on from us rescuing the draw against Hibs the previous game we needed to match or better Hibs result to take the last European place. Unfortunately Hibs won and despite us snatching a late draw it ended up being a rare season when we didn't qualify for Europe.

I still like to think Murphy lost his footing because he had to jump so high to get over their goalie!

The YouTube clip was taking a while to come up on my phone. I've just watched it and it's pretty much said everything I did - still think Murphy was trying to get over Alexander and lost his footing. If an outfield player loses his footing trying to hurdle a challenge it's still a foul.

The YouTube clip was taking a while to come up on my phone. I've just watched it and it's pretty much said everything I did - still think Murphy was trying to get over Alexander and lost his footing. If an outfield player loses his footing trying to hurdle a challenge it's still a foul.

C&A specs - time to give them a clean.

Not complaining (they have had more than their fair share of dodgy decisions over the years), but ffs its a dive :laugh:

It was 100% a pen. Daft/Lazy/Clumsy challenge on Stokes who was running away from goal. Would we have been awarded it? I fucking hope so!

Also, I actually think Stokes did mean that as a shot for his goal. If it had been anyone else I would've said no, but he's scored similarly audacious goals in the past. Besides, it was an absolutely woeful cross if not

Also, I actually think Stokes did mean that as a shot for his goal. If it had been anyone else I would've said no, but he's scored similarly audacious goals in the past. Besides, it was an absolutely woeful cross if not

I still think it was just a woeful cross, judging by where he's looking before and after he hits it.

Did we not still get in via Fair Play? I thought it was the following season (Cup Final season) that we didn't make it at all.

It costs us Europe for a week. We failed to qualify through our league position by right but because Dundee United did and then beat Ross County in the cup final, they got the cup place and the two league places shunted down to include us. It was back in 2008-09 we qualified through fair play.

It costs us Europe for a week. We failed to qualify through our league position by right but because Dundee United did and then beat Ross County in the cup final, they got the cup place and the two league places shunted down to include us. It was back in 2008-09 we qualified through fair play.

And in doing so it also leant a bit of weight to those who hold the theory that perhaps finishing higher in the table isn't all its cracked up to be when it comes to Europe the next season.

Whilst we were building up a bit of momentum against Breidablik and Aaelusund towards the Play Off Hibs had long since been papped oot by Maribor.

And in doing so it also leant a bit of weight to those who hold the theory that perhaps finishing higher in the table isn't all its cracked up to be when it comes to Europe the next season.

Whilst we were building up a bit of momentum against Breidablik and Aaelusund towards the Play Off Hibs had long since been papped oot by Maribor.

I agree with that, the earlier we start in Europe the better. Given our consistent qualification over recent seasons our current coefficient would probably see us seeded in Q1 and Q2. So more chance of winnable ties to increase the coefficient which is good. Last season if i remember we were only 2 or 3 points off being seeded for Q3 so winning through a couple of rounds would help us big time.

......Unfortunately Hibs won and despite us snatching a late draw it ended up being a rare season when we didn't qualify for Europe. ...

who would have thought 10 years ago that anyone of us could say that Motherwell missing out on a European place was a "rare" thing and not get the piss ripped out of them. Long may it continue :)