Motherwell V Ict 07/05/14

Brazilian

Brutal second half, why did we decide to play Sutton up front on his todd for most of it? Essentially invited ICT onto us over and over.

Most worrying was the players themselves, Vigurs and McManus squaring up to each other, Lasley going nuts, Hutchy giving everyone a bollocking, McManus and McCall having words. Did the players even celebrate the full time whistle?

Thought it all seemed a bit muted, even in the lap after the game.

However, a win was required and delivered, 2nd is still on, bring on Aberdeen!

Bringing Kerr on was a disastrous substitution.

Let's be honest we weren't much good before then but after then the entire shape of the team was wrong and there were gaps all over the place.

A penalty, an OG and a bounce off the post that went the right way. We were very lucky tonight.

That was hard going in the 2nd half.

Not sure what the McFadden sub was all about.

Bit early to be shutting up shop at 2-0 and given they scored as we were preparing the swap it would have been easy for McCall to change his mind.

If McFadden was injured why not just go like for like and put Anier on?

After that Sutton was getting no support so the ball just kept bouncing back. No surprise when the second set of subs were made we started to get back up the park more. I thought we had established that big handsome cant play the lone striker role.

Made things much more difficult for ourselves than was necessary I thought.

Anyway, we got there in the end. Hope the players arent carrying too many knocks and we can give it a right good go on Sunday.

Just need to make sure my alarm clocks working!

Brutal second half, why did we decide to play Sutton up front on his todd for most of it? Essentially invited ICT onto us over and over.

Most worrying was the players themselves, Vigurs and McManus squaring up to each other, Lasley going nuts, Hutchy giving everyone a bollocking, McManus and McCall having words. Did the players even celebrate the full time whistle?

Thought it all seemed a bit muted, even in the lap after the game.

However, a win was required and delivered, 2nd is still on, bring on Aberdeen!

Handbags stuff and McCal said as much on the radio.

McCall when he brought on Kerr changed the system and it seemed all our players were a bit confused for a good 10 mins I think that is al the frustration was. As part of that McManus was giving Vigurs verbals for something and telling him what to do, Vigurs disagreed and they came head to head a for second or two. All sorted out in a matter of minutes.

It as an odd game - 2 early goals that we didnt really create ourselves set the atmosphere off on a wierd plane. Couple that with a tough 2nd half it was more relief than celebration for me!

i would guess mcmanus was telling him to stop moaning at the ref and put in some effort when we don't have the ball.

• Like 1

I think tonights performance almost epitomizes our entire season. It's not flashy or slick, it's certainly not full of pace or flare and we have rarely looked in control (in fact, we've rarely even looked comfortable) but for some reason which I can't quite fathom, we've managed to get the ball across the goal line more often than the opposition. I have no idea how but it's taken us to within a whisker of a 2nd place.

It may actually be a bigger achievement than finishing 2nd with the strong, dynamic, pacey and skillfull team we had last year.

Sometimes, football is just mental.

• Like 2

i would guess mcmanus was telling him to stop moaning at the ref and put in some effort when we don't have the ball.

You must have been watching a different player to me since the turn of the year. Vigurs has been one of our best players in 2014 and for a "luxury" player, he doesn't half cover the ground. I appreciate that he looks lazy in the way he plays, and he's slower than half a dog, but if you watch what he's doing, he actually works his socks off when we're not in possession.

He was signalling to the bench and the physio seemed keen to get him off. Looked like a hamstring/back tightness to me.

Which takes me back to my second point. Why not just put Anier on instead of changing the whole shape of the team?

You must have been watching a different player to me since the turn of the year. Vigurs has been one of our best players in 2014 and for a "luxury" player, he doesn't half cover the ground. I appreciate that he looks lazy in the way he plays, and he's slower than half a dog, but if you watch what he's doing, he actually works his socks off when we're not in possession.

he looks lazy because he's lazy. he's slow because he doesn't train hard enough.

that's good enough for motherwell these days though which is why this season has been as entertaining as watching paint dry.

he looks lazy because he's lazy. he's slow because he doesn't train hard enough.

that's good enough for motherwell these days though which is why this season has been as entertaining as watching paint dry.

Sorry, I wouldn't know how hard the players train because I'm not down there every day watching them. So are you suggesting that if he trains harder, he'll be able to run like Usain Bolt? Some players just don't have pace, and no amount of training is going to make them run faster.

I've found this season to be plenty entertaining. It's not been the same type of entertainment as last season, it's not been pretty football, but it's been heart-in-your-mouth exciting knowing that we could ship 2-3 goals at any moment. In some ways it makes each win that little bit sweeter knowing that we've not been at our best.

Top form? tonight?

in the second half there were more than a few occasions when 'he couldn't be arsed' and a few when he could and got involved

I'm not quite agreeing with steelboy here, but if McManus was telling him to get his arse in gear he, was quite right.

Top form? tonight?

in the second half there were more than a few occasions when 'he couldn't be arsed' and a few when he could and got involved

I'm not quite agreeing with steelboy here, but if McManus was telling him to get his arse in gear he, was quite right.

Oh god no,he was far from it tonight. Steelboy started talking about his training though so I assumed he meant in general.

I totally agree. I said as much at half time. I actually thought that Vigurs had a good first half and won a lot of the ball, more so than Lasley. He doesn't have the drive of Law or the engine of Lasley or Carswell but you can't complain about our inability to keep possession and see out games and then berate our best passer of a football. Sometimes his decision making lets him down but in the last three home games we've got seven points playing him in a midfield two. That doesn't happen in the SPL if a player doesn't work for the team.

I actually expect Vigurs to possibly be our key man next season. Earlier in the season, we seemed unsure how to use him. Since the turn of the year, McCall seems to have found a way to get the best out of him. Best passer we've had since Billy Davies played for us...?

Why don't you get over to Celtic Park if you what to see exciting winning teams.

Your constant moaning would not be missed on here...

do you think he's in the best shape he could be?

Do you think McCall would continue to play him if his attitude in training was suspect?

On a more general point, we're going to finish at worst third in the league. And yet, some of our fans find it necessary to single out players for their perceived shortcomings. Ask Hibs or Kilmarnock fans how many of our players that are "lazy" or "aren't good enough" they'd like in their team...