Craig Reid

DEWELL

After watching Reid a few times this season im not convinced he's a right back. However with a good pre season behind him to get him fully fit he might just be able to do a job for us as a defensive midfielder next season. He can tackle and although his passing isn't the greatest. With games hopefully that'll improve. Thoughts folks?

After watching Reid a few times this season im not convinced he's a right back. However with a good pre season behind him to get him fully fit he might just be able to do a job for us as a defensive midfielder next season. He can tackle and although his passing isn't the greatest. With games hopefully that'll improve. Thoughts folks?

Did you know Craig Reid is not being paid a penny apart from bonuses ? (according to our manager )

Think he has done very well at right back. Committed no nonsense player with a great engine. Can play a number of positions and is a good crosser of the ball when he gets forward. More than happy to sign him on for next year. If he has been playing for next to nothing then he deserves it even more.

I'm surprised with the original post, but just goes to show how differently folk can view things. I think he's been tremendous at right back, he's got the pace and timing of tackle to stop most getting by him.

Off the top of my head I can remember a couple of slack passes, but apart from that he's been absolutely consistent.

As Tweed has said, a great bit of business by Mccall and certainly worth a deal.

A great signing in my book. He can defend has a good engine in him and can attack. From what I've been told his best position is centre back although we haven't yet seen him there. Very versatile and can play in 3 positions. Get him signed for 2 years.

I think he's done quite well overall but I do think he can get caught up the field after bombing up the wing.

He's done well screening in front of the back four and I think when Ramsden gets back that's where I'd see him fitting in.

Overall his adaptability would be a good asset next season so I'd be quite keen to get him into the squad permanently especially since I doubt he would be asking for massive wages.

A good squad player.

I think he's done quite well overall but I do think he can get caught up the field after bombing up the wing..

While that's true, that style of play seems to be encouraged by McCall, so I don't think it's necessarily the player's fault.

I wouldn't be upset in the slightest if we were to extend his deal beyond this season.

On the park for someone who had barely played (if any) top flight football before signing for us then I think the biggest compliment you pay him is that he hasn't looked out of place at all. He's made a very sold contribution since arriving and fits the Motherwell mould pretty well with the versatility he can bring to the squad.

Off the park I smiled at his remarks following the injury he incurred at Inverness when he had to go of about chucking a bit of sawdust on it and he'd be fine for the next game and if as is being implied earlier in the thread he's not on much whilst playing for us, then it reflects well on him. Obviously something is better than nothing when you've no team and there is the opportunity to impress on what is effectively a 4 month trial - not many players get that - but combined it goes to show there's a fair bit of spirit and determination about the guy.

I must have been watching a different player.

Aye he can tackle, no arguments there. His 2nd touch however is always a tackle which is worrying when he likes to try & get forward so much.

That said, if he's willing to sign for peanuts & we've nothing better in our Youth team then aye fine as cover for Ramsden... Where does that then leave Big Fra?

It's more worrying to me that Reid is keeping Kerr oot the team just now

While that's true, that style of play seems to be encouraged by McCall, so I don't think it's necessarily the player's fault.

I think it goes beyond our tactics though.

Don't know if he has been a little bit naive stepping up a level and been caught out by the pace of the game or if his positional sense isn't what it could be sometimes.

He can definitely play right back and do relatively well there but it looks to me like a central position is more a 'natural' fit for him.

Of course it's worrying... Is Kerr no signed up for another year? Can we afford to pay Kerr as a 3rd choice Right Back?

Depends where you see all of our players playing next year, if that makes sense. Reid and Ramsden can shift along the backline, and Kerr you'd imagine will be looking at the centre-half spots? Reid also put in a very competent shift in midfield for us. I'd be delighted to keep him.

Depends where you see all of our players playing next year, if that makes sense. Reid and Ramsden can shift along the backline, and Kerr you'd imagine will be looking at the centre-half spots? Reid also put in a very competent shift in midfield for us. I'd be delighted to keep him.

I like Ramsden a lot but with his injury record and the fact that he's getting on a bit (33 next season) I think we might not want to go into the season looking at him as being a first choice centre half.

My preference would be for Ramsden at right back, a new centre half (assuming Hutchinson is away and McManus signs up again) with Reid as a good squad player providing cover for a couple of positions.

I like Ramsden a lot but with his injury record and the fact that he's getting on a bit (33 next season) I think we might not want to go into the season looking at him as being a first choice centre half.

My preference would be for Ramsden at right back, a new centre half (assuming Hutchinson is away and McManus signs up again) with Reid as a good squad player providing cover for a couple of positions.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that at all. I was under the impression that by trade, at least, Reid was a centre-half anyway?

I'd be surprised if we see Cummins back, for example, so we're going to have to go looking for someone. My great fear is that we go back for Kenneth if both McManus and Hutchinson leave.

If McManus stays, we should be bringing in a young centre half to develop alongside him and hopefully sell on. And that isn't likely to be Fraser Kerr as we need one centre half that can cope with players running at them.

I'd keep Reid if he's happy to stay for buttons due to his versatility and energy.

Shame we lost Saunders to injury, he was miles ahead of any the options we have now.