Your Player Of The Season 13/14

Geedub

From the games and highlights I have seen combined with reports I would go for Sutton. As has been mentioned I don't think he has had as good service as Higdon got and to ahve scored 22 goals is a great achievement. Higdon scored some great goals last season but I am can't really recall Sutton scoring any great goals but he has been excellent at just being in the right place at the right time to get the ball in the net. I think that's something you have or you don't and big handsome has got it. COYW Get in about these dons.... hat trick for big John Sutton!

Not sure about the Lasley love in,he has been decent at times,occasionaly superb but ive seen him 3 times this season be utter shite,most recently a waste of a jersey against Utd. POTY has to be Sutton,then prob Ainsworth,10 goals n as many assists from wing is a superb contribution

I think any player that has 3 shite games for Motherwell over a 40 match season is probably a stick on for Player of the Season.

Not sure about the Lasley love in,he has been decent at times,occasionaly superb but ive seen him 3 times this season be utter shite,most recently a waste of a jersey against Utd. POTY has to be Sutton,then prob Ainsworth,10 goals n as many assists from wing is a superb contribution

A bit harsh I'd say but there's a grain of truth there. He's had a decent season overall interspersed with poor games and very good games but must take some, not all, responsibility for our poor second half performances and poor defensive record. Our central midfield has often gone AWOL in the second half, and been found wanting week after week with regards to shielding our defence. Shinnie's goal on Wednesday and the Tannadice performance being typical of that Achilles heel. All that said he deserves a lot of credit for playing through the pain barrier at times. Decent season yes, POTY no. In mitigation he is 34 years of age and we shouldn't expect too much of him now.

20+ goals in a team that doesn't create a huge amount of chances, Sutton just edges out Lasley for me.

Lasley will continue to be the heartbeat of the team for a couple of seasons yet but he needs a bit of dig alongside him. Our midfield has been outplayed a wee bit too often this season.

Nobody else in the running really. Mention to Twardzik because without his positive impact at our lowest ebb, I doubt we'd have turned around our season in the manner we did.

Has to be Sutton. The two players under most scrutiny this season were always going to be whoever replaced Randolph and Higdon. Replacing the top scorer in the league was a big ask. Big Handsome has done it, in a team where compared to last season, there were less attacking players creating space for him.

Lasley has been good. Ramsden, until his injury, was excellent. Since the turn of the year, we seem to have worked out how to use Vigurs. And Ainsworth has made a big difference since Christmas. No other names should be mentioned...

A bit harsh I'd say but there's a grain of truth there. He's had a decent season overall interspersed with poor games and very good games but must take some, not all, responsibility for our poor second half performances and poor defensive record. Our central midfield has often gone AWOL in the second half, and been found wanting week after week with regards to shielding our defence. Shinnie's goal on Wednesday and the Tannadice performance being typical of that Achilles heel. All that said he deserves a lot of credit for playing through the pain barrier at times. Decent season yes, POTY no. In mitigation he is 34 years of age and we shouldn't expect too much of him now.

I'm fairly sure you've been saying much the same thing about Lasley and the midfield for at least the last three years Dave. Yet here we are looking at a third top three finish in succession with Lasley the constant in that much maligned midfield.

We were supposed to crumble in that area when Jennings left, the same when Law went but Lasley has been the rock that has enabled others to come in like Carswell, Vigurs and now Leitch and make a contribution.

In much the same way that it can be frustrating for some to see Ainsworth reticent at tracking back so, the way our team is generally set up with an emphasis on attack under McCall, will our central midfield be under greater pressure than most.

He wasn't supposed to be captain material either in some people's minds yet he has helped cultivate a togetherness and character in that squad that has helped eek out results like midweek through leading by example.

I personally can see no discernable difference in his level of performance this season to that a couple of seasons ago when some were suggesting had he been a year or two younger would have been a potential Scotland international.

Hope he's around leading that midfield for a season or two yet.

• Like 1

I'm fairly sure you've been saying much the same thing about Lasley and the midfield for at least the last three years Dave. Yet here we are looking at a third top three finish in succession with Lasley the constant in that much maligned midfield.

We were supposed to crumble in that area when Jennings left, the same when Law went but Lasley has been the rock that has enabled others to come in like Carswell, Vigurs and now Leitch and make a contribution.

In much the same way that it can be frustrating for some to see Ainsworth reticent at tracking back so, the way our team is generally set up with an emphasis on attack under McCall, will our central midfield be under greater pressure than most.

He wasn't supposed to be captain material either in some people's minds yet he has helped cultivate a togetherness and character in that squad that has helped eek out results like midweek through leading by example.

I personally can see no discernable difference in his level of performance this season to that a couple of seasons ago when some were suggesting had he been a year or two younger would have been a potential Scotland international.

Hope he's around leading that midfield for a season or two yet.

I think Dave's been saying the same things about Keith Lasley since Lasley's been in our team.

He's never been a fan, which is fine. I struggled at times to see what others see in certain players. As I get older, I'm trying to remind myself that the manager of Motherwell knows better (I forget that sometimes, but we all do). Keith Lasley has been used extensively by every Motherwell manager in our most successful era in god knows how long, with the exception of Jim Gannon. He obviously brings something to the team...

1399715529[/url]' post='411494']

I think Dave's been saying the same things about Keith Lasley since Lasley's been in our team.

He's never been a fan, which is fine. I struggled at times to see what others see in certain players. As I get older, I'm trying to remind myself that the manager of Motherwell knows better (I forget that sometimes, but we all do). Keith Lasley has been used extensively by every Motherwell manager in our most successful era in god knows how long, with the exception of Jim Gannon. He obviously brings something to the team...

That's cos he couldn't juggle soot

He's never been a fan, which is fine.

That's true Greg & Andy. Don't get me wrong though - he's been loyal, solid and a real asset to our side over the past few years. Our midfield weaknesses are not all down to him. In central midfield we've had inexperienced players partner him neither of whom are particularly fast. On the wings we've got one great pacy attacking player who is weak at defending and another who is pacy but a bit erratic. More than any other part of the team midfield has to be a balance. If that balance is wrong then we shouldn't pin the blame on one player. Keith Lasley is what he is.

In addition Stuart McCall like to play open attacking football which is great in itself. However he doesn't believe in fielding defensive central players.

In short what I'm saying is that IF we want to strengthen our defence and improve our goals against tally then changes have to be made in central midfield (coaching can only go so far). Or, it might be that we can live with a high goals against tally and stick with our current midfield. That's fine too, as long as we can score more at the other end. You pays your money you takes your choices.

Again, to place things in perspective our high goals against tally isn't all down to midfield. We need to look at goalkeeping and defence.