Currrent Squad

johnstone

Just my thoughts on the current squad and who will stay go etc...nice to hear other peoples thoughts too.

Lee Hollis - Decent backup and now has a good season of experience. Would give him a year deal.

Gunnar Neilson - It hasn't worked out and I think McCall knows that. Might be that he stays another year as backup and Hollis leaves.

Steven Hammell - Essential to the team. Must keep and hopefully he wants to sign a new 2 year deal.

Stephen McManus - Signed up for another two years. Ideal!

Hutchy - Resigned to losing him for nothing. Rumor is he is off to Birmingham. Been amazing for us and deserves his move up.

Simon Ramsden - As we are losing Hutchy I would give him another year as when fit he looked solid and is a very good right back.

Craig Reid - Not really seen to much of him, but from what people are saying on here is that he is solid and versatile. Might be a handy squad player.

Fraser Kerr - never sure about this boy. Seems to be very highly rated in football circles. Maybe with Hutch going he may slot in next to Mick and it could be the making of him.

Francis Angol - I just don't know what position he is best in. I think he may not know himself. Would not be gutted if he left.

Paul Lawson - has hardly kicked a ball - probably be with us next season, but it might be better if he moved on.

Iain Vigurs - class. Keep and also get him to sign on for another year.

Keith Lasley - same as Hammell - integral to the team.

Jack Leitch - looks like a great prospect - hopefully he get more game time next season.

Stuart Carswell - again the futre of our midfield and hopefully get s agood run in the team

Lionel Ainsworth - would be great to keep him. Has been excellent.

Robert McHugh - Not cut out for the SPL - I would let him stay with Queen of the South

James McFadden - sign up early and get a decent pre season under his belt and he could be immense or he could be a flop. Is he worth the risk?

Henri Anier - very good player and hopefully with a decent pre season he can be fully fit for the season ahead.

John Sutton - fucking magic. Big man is like a fine wine and gets better with age.

Craig Moore - gutted for the lad. Hopefuly he gets back to full fitness soon.

Agree with the majority of that.

I'd be a bit surprised if we saw more than 3 players leave (and/or join) this summer, which could be unprecedented! The only players that I'm worried about leaving are Ainsworth and Hutch, but I'm still quietly confident that we can hang onto them. One of either Hollis or Nielsen will be shown the door, hopefully Nielsen but probably Hollis. The fact that Moore will be out for a while means that we might see McHugh back. Wouldn't be surprised if either him or Erwin are sent out on loan though.

Optimistic thinking I know, but with that, there's a chance that we might only be in the hunt for a first choice keeper. We're in such a much stronger position than last year it's crazy.

I hope Hollis goes as I feel Nielsen is the better of the 2 keepers just now, Nielsen still has another year on his contract anyway whereas Hollis doesn't so Id rather we let him go and get another keeper in. Hopefully get rid of McHugh as well, other than that if we keep everyone else and can add one or two players then I think we could be in for another great season.

Lee Hollis, Hutchy and Ainsworth all certain to move on.

Cummins, McHugh and Faddy???

Hopefully Craig Reid will agree to join permanently. Not sure what SM will think of his central defensive options ie whether he'll want to replace Hutchy or not.

Lee Erwin - will he make the step up in Craig Moore's absence?

All a wee bit uncertain at the moment.

We do need pace in the side and to shore up our defensive play. For starters I'd say we'll at least bring in a new winger and goalie.

Lee Hollis, Hutchy and Ainsworth all certain to move on.

Cummins, McHugh and Faddy???

Hopefully Craig Reid will agree to join permanently. Not sure what SM will think of his central defensive options ie whether he'll want to replace Hutchy or not.

Lee Erwin - will he make the step up in Craig Moore's absence?

All a wee bit uncertain at the moment.

We do need pace in the side and to shore up our defensive play. For starters I'd say we'll at least bring in a new winger and goalie.

Is that FACT or your opinion?

I have a funny feeling hutchy will be the only first choice player we will lose. If that's the case I'd love to see one of Kerr/Murray/Cummins step up rather than sign another centre half. We've also got Ramsden to come back and Reid has really grown on me (and not just after Sunday!) so were pretty well in defence.

If we can add a keeper (would take twardzik back) and a pacey winger to the mix then I'll be pretty content with the squad.

Players who can go, feel bad for these guys but its not working: one or both of Hollis/neilsen. McHugh - fringe player for too long now, plus any young players who aren't going to make the cut.

The batch who I think we don't particularly require are as follows:

Lee Hollis (see note below)

Adam Cummins

Zaine Francais Angol

Paul Lawson

Robert McHugh

Players I expect to play a greater roll next season:

Fraser Kerr

Jack Leitch

Players who I think need to make an impact next season:

Stuart Carswell (see note below)

Henri Anier (see note below)

Lee Hollis - the goalkeeping role is a conundrum at the moment. I don't dislike Hollis and I don't particularly think Neilsen is better. There is very little in it. As such, with Hollis out of contract I believe it's a important window of opportunity to sign a new goalkeeper who's calibre is greater than Hollis and Neilsen. Who that goalkeeper is I don't know however I'd be shocked if Marshall hasn't been asked to create a short list back in January. The guys took a lot of stick this season, personally I think both are average and we need to aim higher than that to maintain the great few seasons we've had.

The defence - I reckon we have some real variety. I'm a big fan of Ramsden and Hammel. If both (particularly Ramsden) remain fit for the bulk of the season then the right and left back positions are sturdy enough. Centrally, McManus I'm happy with. Like others, I'm still slightly undecided with Kerr. Physically he looks like a good athlete, but I don't think he has had a solid run for long enough to judge yet. I think Adam Cummins is not the answer and has failed to take his loan opportunity and convert it into regular first team action - which is disappointing for us, and Dundee im sure. Craig Reid has proven to be pretty useful in a host of positions. The question is do you try him and Kerr out for the position next to McManus (I'm assuming Hutchy is off)? I think of the two Kerr has more to prove as he's been here for a wee while now and probably feels he needs to start nailing down a place. Add onto that Reids ability to play in a few positions and I think Kerr will really be keen to take that central defence spot.

It might sound daft but I like the age range of our defence. I attended the Thistle match on Saturday with a thistle supporting mate. They have a lot of in disciplined youngsters and it made me think about the age of our team. A good few of the defenders are in their early 30's so have a good bit if experience collectively. Having sad that we did conceded a large number of goals ourselves but I'm not convinced that's solely down to the defenders.

If Kerr or Reid don't appeal to McCall centrally then another central defender is required. If reckon a hungry 26 year old athletic pro would fit in. A bit like Mark Reynolds (not that I'm suggesting him in particular). McCall May decide to add a central defender regardless in order to maintain a degree of cover.

The midfield - I've not completely made my mind up about midfield. On one hand I like Lasley, Vigurs, Carswell and Leitch individually but arranging a working midfield out of them seems tricky. Of the four Vigurs is the creative force. Lasley for me could be better used in a more prominent defensive midfield role. Carswell as a box to box central midfielder and Leitch, I'm not sure about yet. Paul Lawson clearly hasn't worked into the plans and as such should be sold to make way for a new arrival/idea in my opinion especially now that Leitch has came a bit more to the fore. I think Carswell will have a tricky coming season in order to find a place in there, especially since Leitch has looked so good. It'll be an important season for him. With Reid showing he could fill in in midfield then we have a bit of cover from a defensive midfield point of view.

Zaine Francis Angol is a mystery to me. He looks bafflingly shite at times and others he looks dangerous. For me he is certainly not a left back. Not sure if he is a left mid either. I might be being harsh here but it wouldn't upset me to much if he was sold.

The attack - Big Sutton is class. For me the guys a certain starter whenever available. Who he is paired with is a nightmare. If McFadden stays then on paper it's a good pairing but the reality this season can't back that up. Anier was doing exceptional up until a point then it died down, mainly as a result of being benched. I like Anier but it's an important season for him as I'm sure he won't be wanting to spend 50% - 65% of iron the bench.

McHugh isn't going to make the cut, that's abundantly clear. We should be looking to offload him.

In terms of the young guys - Moore and Erwin, not seen enough to judge either.

Overall is expect an attempt will be made to resign McFadden, Lasley, Hamell. I expect Lasley and Hamell to stay, not so sure McFadden. Ainsworth would be great to have, but I'm getting mixed messages on hereabout whether will end up.

If the guys I've noted go, with Lasley, Hammel and Ainsworth staying then i think we should be looking at getting a goalkeeper, a left winger/left sided attacker and a central defender. If I was pushing it a bit further I'd also add a left sided defender.

Agree with pretty much all of that.

I reckon we will keep all of the out of contracts but Hutchy with Hollis released. If we can release a few of the in contracts you mentioned and replace with better then all would be perfect. In reality I think we will predominately the same squad.

The batch who I think we don't particularly require are as follows:

Lee Hollis (see note below)

Adam Cummins

Zaine Francais Angol

Paul Lawson

Robert McHugh

Would be a bit sorry to see Lawson go. I know he didn't really seem to fit into our system before his injury, but probably the most talented footballer of that bunch.

An educated guess / informed opinion.

Unless he and his chickadee are liars, they he want to stay. We should have they money now, so.....in Stuart we trust.

And I can't help but think, the last game would help!

It's only my opinion but I believe that Ainsworth is away on holiday and will be back for pre season training. The guy has said repeatedly that he's happy here and would like to stay.

I think that he's enjoying getting a regular game and I believe that like the humph before him, he will only get better the longer he stays as SMcC appears to have a great knack of improving players.

I've said before I don't expect too many changes next season.

The goalkeeper situation is a tricky one. For me Hollis is a better goalkeeper than Nielsen and McCall/Marshall obviously agree since he is the no.1. But it's Hollis that is out of contract and not Nielsen. I don't think it's McCall's style to let a player go that's not really made any terrible mistakes. I think we may start next season with the two same goalkeepers unless an agreement can be made with Nielsen to move him on.

Hutchinson will go. So we need a new centre half and to be fair we probably had to made a change there anyway given the number of goals we've conceded this season. No reflection on Hutchinson but making a change there might not be the worst thing for the team.

I expect most of the other key players to sign on again, including Lionel Ainsworth.

This is the situation regarding contracts

Nielsen - 2015

Hollis - out of contract

Stewart - out of contract

Hutchinson - out of contract

Hammell - out of contract

Reid - out of contract

Ramsden - 2015

Kerr - 2015

Francis Angol - 2015

Cummins - 2015

McManus - 2016

Lasley - out of contract

McFadden - out of contract

Ainsworth - loan return

Vigurs - 2015

Lawson - 2015

Carswell - 2015

Sutton - 2015

McHugh - 2015

Moore - 2015

Anier - 2016

Defence and attack are baffling for me, I can understand the defence being a bit up and down, its evident there isn't the same degree of trust in the keeper's ability that existed before and that no doubt influences those split second decisions. Losing Ramsden no doubt contributed a few goals against.

I can see Hollis released, Gunnar as backup (purely on his 2 year contract still having 1 year to run) and AN Other coming in. Wither that is a current Jambo or a former crocked Jambo I dunno. The latter will depend on finance/injury safeguards.

I like the idea of Reid playing in the Lawson role in front of the defence and I wouldn't be overly concerned if he ended up as a wing back if Ramsden moves in beside McManus with Kerr as backup at RB. ZFA on paper offers backup for Hammell however I don't rate him defensively and he does blow hot and cold. If Lawson gives things a clean slate it would be like an effective new signing if he can step up and show what McCall saw in him last summer.

As for the midfield, despite individually being well regarded all season long, we've been exposed from pre-season to all but a few games. It's hard to think why, as there's nobody I perceive as an obvious weak link. However England had Lampard and Gerrard for the past 15 years and never got them to function adequately together. If I am critical, Las' engine has lost a few horsepower, Vigurs doesn't have an engine as such and Ainsworth isn't interested in dropping back. Carswell rightly avoids criticism due to his age and our joint hope of potential and Leitch has showed in his limited exposure what he can hopefully offer going forward.

I'd like to see a McGheesque pre-season where they are beasted and superfit, a lot to be said for having "I can run for longer than you mate" mentally. Our combined fitness was questionable as the season progressed (as always highlighted after games such as St. Mirren/Dundee Utd. and glossed over after the last three games purely due to the final result). However the camaraderie and spirit can't and that's purely down to the senior players and primarily, the management.

As for the attack, Sutton scored 23 with poor cup runs and nowhere near the service that Higgy got from Ojamma and Law - that position can be put to bed. Arnier was a bit up and down for me. Faddy, I don't know if the lure of more cash from our departing Chief Exec will tempt a move to the East.

In essence if injuries don't factor (this season was the first year McCall has had any major issues to deal with) then the team that finished against Aberdeen can hold its own, a few extensions odd bit of new blood will easily maintain a top six position in what I regard as a league with a very poor bottom 6.

However I'd like to ensure a degree of financial stability and reward for our 4 out of 5 years of Euro qualification with group stage in the Europa. For that, we'd have to secure a couple of players (and I don't suggest its possible, just giving examples) of the quality/proven ability as Boyd, Shinnie, Armstrong and Robertson to supplement what we already have and give us a chance. Hopefully McCall can dig a few gems up for buttons from lower leagues or England or entice a few seasoned players due to the atmosphere he's created.

It'll be tough, every other manager in the UK will be trying to do the same.

• Like 1

Good post goggles.

For all the talk of players leaving due to end of contract, from what I've seen, no one has talked about the possibility of someone coming in with a bid for John Sutton. I'm not saying its going to happen but if it was the case that an English team tables a bid for say £250,000 - or MFC were to tout him and were offered that - then I believe the club would have to seriously consider it as we are after all a selling club and at the moment there is a perfect replacement for free in big Higdon.

[/size]

Would be a bit sorry to see Lawson go. I know he didn't really seem to fit into our system before his injury, but probably the most talented footballer of that bunch.

And there I thought I was the only one that was interested in Lawson staying! From what I've heard/read, Lawson's another one that's been struggling with injury since signing and as such hasn't been able to show what he's capable of. Given a chance to get to full fitness and get a few games, he could be a player we want to keep with an eye to replacing Lasley in the longer term. Remember that as well as Carswell and Leitch have done this season, they're both still young players (20 and 18 respectively), and can't be expected to shoulder the burden of running the middle of the park without an experienced player to assist them.

I don't expect to see Hollis next season. Not that he's done a massive amount wrong in my book, but his injury record is just not good enough for our first choice goalkeeper. We can't afford to have someone in such an important position that's out so often. I reckon Nielsen has actually looked better of late, and while I'm still a bit dubious of him, he does seem to be a massive confidence player, and has shown signs of ability.

We need a goalkeeper to replace Hollis, and could do with a wide player regardless of whether Ainsworth signs as we've been short of pace. I'm not sure what other positions we could really justify as MUST have.

But, Stuart McCall has shown time and time again that he knows how to make astute signings, so I'll trust whatever he decides to do.

Anier was doing exceptional up until a point then it died down, mainly as a result of being benched. I like Anier but it's an important season for him as I'm sure he won't be wanting to spend 50% - 65% of it on the bench.

We need to remember that Anier had played during last summmer and was no doubt fucked around the New Year. I have no reason to doubt that a good pre-season and training this summer will have him playing to his best for the full season to come.

we're set in defence and need new players everywhere else.

Reid, kerr, mcmanus, hammell, ramsden, murray and zfa is all the defensive cover we need. A new keeper is a must.

Reid has worked immensley hard in midfield in his appearances there but it can't have escaped anyone that we have barely had a kick of the ball in those games. He's not a long term solution. A couple of midfielders and paying the money for dom thomas (along with erwin the only player at the club who might attractba transfer fee) has to be the priority.

Up front i'm happy enough with sutton, anier and erwin (can't believe he's not made an apoearance yet). Back the three of them up with someone with some pace and we'll be looking strong in that department.

we're set in defence and need new players everywhere else.

Reid, kerr, mcmanus, hammell, ramsden, murray and zfa is all the defensive cover we need. A new keeper is a must.

Reid has worked immensley hard in midfield in his appearances there but it can't have escaped anyone that we have barely had a kick of the ball in those games. He's not a long term solution. A couple of midfielders and paying the money for dom thomas (along with erwin the only player at the club who might attractba transfer fee) has to be the priority.

Up front i'm happy enough with sutton, anier and erwin (can't believe he's not made an apoearance yet). Back the three of them up with someone with some pace and we'll be looking strong in that department

:swoon:

And what's with the :wub: for Erwin?

he's built like a brick shithouse with a good touch and can finish. he could be a much better version of a young lee mcculloch for us if he is brought on correctly.

Calm yourself, dribbling all over that scruffy beard of yours there... or has Lee Erwin?

• Like 2