Currrent Squad

johnstone

Calm yourself, dribbling all over that scruffy beard of yours there... or has Lee Erwin?

i've only seem him play a handful of times and highlights of what he has done on loan but he looks like he has the tools to be a good player.

you don't need to be a world beater to make an impact in this league. you can look at most teams in the league and see guys who contributed plenty despite clear shortcomings eg paul paton, higginbotham, callum patterson, ross draper, steven mclean, hasselbaink. as we've seen with kerr, murray and leitch over the past couple of months young players are more likely to swim than sink so developing any young players in the squad with potential to improve should be a priority.

I can't understand how you think a defence that shipped so many goals is fit for purpose, strengthening it with more than a keeper would be one of my aim's if I was sat in FP just now.

we lined up mcmanus and hutchinson at centrehalf and shipped loads of goals. personnel isn't the issue, tactics are.

they both played well in the recent games against aberdeen and celtic when they had some protection in front of them from the midfield. up at tannadice the middle of the park was a shambles and they looked like a pair of haddies.

We need to remember that Anier had played during last summmer and was no doubt fucked around the New Year. I have no reason to doubt that a good pre-season and training this summer will have him playing to his best for the full season to come.

I never understand that argument when referring to guys in their early 20's, been full time for x years and asked to run an average of 7 miles over 90 minutes (that's what a pro tends to cover) once, sometimes twice a week, in-between 2 hour daily training sessions that tend to end with a nice wee bounce game at the end.

Las or Hammell, yes, but not a young pup full of beans.

Got to agree that the defence needs strengthening. If ramsden isnt fit then we need a right back and a keeper is obviously a must. I understand the tactics issue as well though and think if we played someone in the same role reid was used in on sunday we would become more solid overall.

This is probably more for the 'ins and outs' thread but I wouldnt say no to Both MacDonald and Hamill from hearts

Good post goggles.

For all the talk of players leaving due to end of contract, from what I've seen, no one has talked about the possibility of someone coming in with a bid for John Sutton. I'm not saying its going to happen but if it was the case that an English team tables a bid for say £250,000 - or MFC were to tout him and were offered that - then I believe the club would have to seriously consider it as we are after all a selling club and at the moment there is a perfect replacement for free in big Higdon.

My mate was chatting to Ainsworth's girlfriend at Parkhead match and she said that she was looking to move up here if Lionel got a contract. She said that he'd never been happier football-wise and was keen to stay at Fir Park.

I never understand that argument when referring to guys in their early 20's, been full time for x years and asked to run an average of 7 miles over 90 minutes (that's what a pro tends to cover) once, sometimes twice a week, in-between 2 hour daily training sessions that tend to end with a nice wee bounce game at the end.

Las or Hammell, yes, but not a young pup full of beans.

it's not the training or playing that is the problem usually it's playing without properly rehabbing injuries and not being able to train due to injuries.

mcfadden's fitness was decent when he arrived because he was training but not playing at sunderland but as soon as he started regular matches he went into decline. carswell played through an injury for an extended period and ended up needing an operation that was probably avoidable.

40% of players at the world cup took painkillers before every game players are expected to play through injuries.

1400057766[/url]' post='412173']

we're set in defence and need new players everywhere else.

Reid, kerr, mcmanus, hammell, ramsden, murray and zfa is all the defensive cover we need. A new keeper is a must.

Reid has worked immensley hard in midfield in his appearances there but it can't have escaped anyone that we have barely had a kick of the ball in those games. He's not a long term solution. A couple of midfielders and paying the money for dom thomas (along with erwin the only player at the club who might attractba transfer fee) has to be the priority.

Up front i'm happy enough with sutton, anier and erwin (can't believe he's not made an apoearance yet). Back the three of them up with someone with some pace and we'll be looking strong in that department.

What is the situation with Thomas?

Ideally, would get shot of Neilsen, just not worked out... Hollis good as backup but would like to see a new face in goals. Might be that Hollis goes instead and Nielsen staying as backup.

I'd keep Reid and Ramsden on, McHugh will probably be allowed to find another club. Lasley and Hammell are no brainers.

Would be great to keep Ainsworth, would keep him over McFadden just now, he's either shite or champagne, usually the former. Can we afford it?

The man I'm most worried about losing is McCall... pleasantly surprised he's not been linked with any clubs down south whilst the likes of McNamara and McInnes have been.

I can't understand how Steelboy can think a defence that shipped so many goals is fit for purpose, strengthening it with more than a keeper would be one of my aim's if I was sat in FP just now.

He makes a good point though, how would you strengthen our defence other than bringing in a new keeper?

Which one of Ramsden, Hutchinson, McManus or Hammell is the weak link? There's more to defending than just the back four and the keeper, you have to do it as a team and as a unit. As has been pointed out by Steelboy, when we defend as unit as we did on Sunday we looked solid at the back and don't give much away. However when we play as open as we did at Tannadice it's no surprise the defence looked shit with the woeful lack of protection they got.

It's also no surprise that a fair chunk of the goals we conceded this season were against the two best attacking teams in the league in Celtic and Dundee United. The two teams who had the pace and creativity to take advantage of our open approach and expose our unprotected defence. Although we conceded a lot of goals it's worth remembering that of the 60 goals we conceded in the league this season, a staggering 27 of them were scored by Dundee United and Celtic. So just under half the goals we conceded in the league came in the 8 games against Celtic and Dundee United.

In the other 30 games we only conceded 33 goals and kept 11 clean sheets. Which is actually fairly decent considering we've used 3 different goalkeepers, about 5 different right backs and at least 3 different left backs over the course of the season.

If Hammell and Reid were to sign on for next season I'd be fairly happy with our defensive options even if Hutchinson leaves and would make finding a new keeper my priority. I think the problem with the number of goals we lost this season lies more with the shape of the team, particularly against certain teams, than with the individuals playing at the back. That's what I'd be working on for next season.

I think the problem with the number of goals we lost this season lies more with the shape of the team, particularly against certain teams, than with the individuals playing at the back. That's what I'd be working on for next season.

In part you're right. Firstly a decent goalkeeper would add some stability to our defence. We have been guilty of losing too many goals at set pieces despite having two big guys in the middle - why is this? We do seem to suffer from lack of organisation at the back though - too many needless corners conceded.

On too many occasions our central midfield has failed to protect the defence. Is this down to the mix of players there? We certainly suffer from a lack of pace there as we witnessed at Tannadice. SM also likes to pull our two full backs into the middle when we're under the cosh and this gives opposing wide players a bit more scope to do what they want. Why is this?

In terms of our defence, something somewhere is not right. It might be that we have good players at the back but that some don't play well together - this can happen. Anyhows, it should be a priority to sort out our "defence", however that is defined, for next season.

Right the guy is an arsehole on the pitch. But a good solid versatile defensive player that I guarantee other SPFL teams would snap up given the chance. Would be a good signing IMO

I'll bet any money you like he goes to a bottom six team, because he's absolutely piss. Swaggers about like some sort of cut price Roy Keane, when in reality he's more of a cut price djemba djemba. Dreadful player.

I agree about the defence, they are a solid enough unit and i'd only really fault them at set pieces. From open play the majority of goals have been lost because of the massive gap between the midfield and defence which has caused the centre halfs to come bombing out leaving space in behind. My hope for next season is that we can either move Paul Lawson on and bring in a defensive midfielder or finally get him to hit some form.

I'll bet any money you like he goes to a bottom six team, because he's absolutely piss. Swaggers about like some sort of cut price Roy Keane, when in reality he's more of a cut price djemba djemba. Dreadful player.

This comment appears to be about Jamie Hamill. On both occasions Hearts were at Fir Park this season, I thought Hamill tried to carry his young team mates. Whatever his critics say, I don't think he can be knocked for his work rate. I'd have him at FP.

This comment appears to be about Jamie Hamill. On both occasions Hearts were at Fir Park this season, I thought Hamill tried to carry his young team mates. Whatever his critics say, I don't think he can be knocked for his work rate. I'd have him at FP.

Not for me, he is no better than what we have just now, so would add nothing to the team.